Discussion for Recruitment day session (2012): Managing cross-cultural expectations and conflict on fast-paced large projects

This discussion belongs to ProZ.com's Virtual Conferences » "Discussion for Recruitment day session (2012): Managing cross-cultural expectations and conflict on fast-paced large projects ".
You can see the ProZ.com's virtual conferences page and participate in this discussion from there.

Zahra Ghanadian
Zahra Ghanadian
Local time: 10:26
Persian (Farsi) to English
+ ...
Hi Sep 26, 2012

This is the third day of event I hope to get much more of it. I hope the discussion gives me some strategy to fulfill my expectation on being a freelancer without being worry about all related to recruitment specially regarding ways of payments.

vandermon lopes (X)
vandermon lopes (X)
Brazil
Local time: 03:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Hi Sep 26, 2012

So do I, one of my aims in this event is to be oriented about strategies on how to dela with worries regarding ways of payments.

Jeff Allen
Jeff Allen  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 08:56
Multiplelanguages
+ ...
Answer to question from Anne Diamantidis during the panel Sep 26, 2012

Actually I'm sometimes brought into projects to help teams get back on track, across many sites, and especially in dealing with large cross-site/cross-national projects. I've learned to use different methods to assist people in moving forward to work together and be successful in the overall project.
In some cases, I need to lead the situation, and in others the need is to help people understand how to take ownership or responsibility of something, or just to participate. There is no one-si
... See more
Actually I'm sometimes brought into projects to help teams get back on track, across many sites, and especially in dealing with large cross-site/cross-national projects. I've learned to use different methods to assist people in moving forward to work together and be successful in the overall project.
In some cases, I need to lead the situation, and in others the need is to help people understand how to take ownership or responsibility of something, or just to participate. There is no one-size-fits-all rule. For example, just stating facts and signing the email as Dr. J tends to be sufficient for some German colleagues to get the message. For the French, it is more important to walk up the stairs and talk with them in the office, or even better over a coffee or during their smoke-break. For other groups I've learned that being able to say 3 sentences in the form of a joke in their local language is helpful for breaking the ice and moving the situation forward. And still for other people, if there are specific topics of interest that we share in common (such as playing guitars, bicycling, hiking), these help to provide opportunities to discuss further on the contentious topics.
I've learned to take on such difficult contexts with a sales approach in trying to convert the prospect into a customer. In the end, it is the way that helped influence and persuade the customer to make the decision to buy which was the appropriate one. And it is easier to sell the product or service to someone if you understand their point of view and their need. There is not a single sales strategy. A good book about this is "Hope is not a strategy" (Rick Page). Also see the book "Dealing with Difficult People" (Charles Keating). In taking the sales approach, if often makes such difficult situations more interesting to enter into and assist in.
There are however contexts, especially after some background check about the team members, in which I've had to recommend to not continue the path. Track record of people is important to know about. In general, the more info you know and have can help in making better decisions earlier on, rather than discovering important facts too late.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Drew MacFadyen[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Discussion for Recruitment day session (2012): Managing cross-cultural expectations and conflict on fast-paced large projects

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »