Meritocracy and KudoZ
Автор темы: Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Werner George Patels, M.A., C.Tran.(ATIO) (X)
Local time: 13:19
немецкий => английский
+ ...
Dec 23, 2001

Henry,

All KudoZ questions posted by members should also be shown in their member profiles. Potential clients, to be sure, would be more interested in seeing the kinds of questions individual translators have asked than the answers they have provided.

Today, for example, a ProZ member has posted 15-20 questions (German-English, financial and legal) even though that same member claims to be a financial expert (a clear abuse of this site). Some of the rela
... See more
Henry,

All KudoZ questions posted by members should also be shown in their member profiles. Potential clients, to be sure, would be more interested in seeing the kinds of questions individual translators have asked than the answers they have provided.

Today, for example, a ProZ member has posted 15-20 questions (German-English, financial and legal) even though that same member claims to be a financial expert (a clear abuse of this site). Some of the relatively easy (!) questions included: \"the supervisory board has approved your request\" or something to this effect.

By showing the questions in members\' profiles, clients would be able to see, at a glance, any and all of the \"embarrassing\" questions that a \"translator\" has posted. This would show the client that the individual in question routinely accepts jobs outside his/her areas of expertise and language combination (and then turns to the ProZ community for \"help\"). This way, the client could quickly determine the veracity of the claims made in a member\'s profile. In other words, this type of \"profile\" would provide more valuable clues as to a member\'s true skills than any of the answers he/she may have given (especially answers provided in language pairs that are not the member\'s actual working languages).

Surely, this idea is in line with the ProZ philosophy of meritocracy. I can tell you, from my own personal experience as an outsourcer, that I would definitely be more interested in the questions than the answers: it would show the true colours of some of the \"cheats\" out there.

I know, I know - someone has said, in response to one of my postings here, that we are free to simply refuse to answer such questions. But this is not the point. The point is to prevent our profession from falling into disrepute because of some rotten apples out there. If a sufficient number of \"translators\" engage in such practices, it will come back to all of us.

Finally, even with the help that this disreputable member got through KudoZ, you can rest assured that the final translation will be anything but perfect .

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-12-23 23:38 ]
Collapse

John Kinory (X)
John Kinory (X)
Local time: 18:19
английский => иврит
+ ...
That someone wouldn't be me, now, would he? :-) Dec 24, 2001

But I agree: these are two quite separate points.

And as to the idea you are proposing: great! If it is implemented, as I hope it is, this would be a classic case of: \"Hey, now why hasn\'t anyone thought of this before?\", which in my experience is the hallmark of brilliant innovations - simple, obvious, but once implemented we wouldn\'t know how we managed without them (like the entire Proz site ).

This would really weed out the frauds!
[addsig]

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:19
английский => испанский
Great lateral thinking! Dec 24, 2001

Wow! I’m sure it’s not very Christmassy of me, but I think this is a great idea and a way to tell off those who get jobs at low rates and then have all the hard work (like opening a dictionary) done by others (us).

I don’t know about showing the questions in profiles (maybe a link to questions in every area of expertise?) but I agree that what you ask tells much more about you than what you answer. Agencies could be encouraged to check these links with a gentle reminde
... See more
Wow! I’m sure it’s not very Christmassy of me, but I think this is a great idea and a way to tell off those who get jobs at low rates and then have all the hard work (like opening a dictionary) done by others (us).

I don’t know about showing the questions in profiles (maybe a link to questions in every area of expertise?) but I agree that what you ask tells much more about you than what you answer. Agencies could be encouraged to check these links with a gentle reminder that this information can save them tons on editing hours. On the other hand, translators would (hopefully) think twice before accepting work outside their areas of expertise, and also before asking questions without having checked the most basic sources of information.

Cheers,

Andrea

Collapse

Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
США
Local time: 12:19
итальянский => английский
+ ...
Re: Meritocracy and KudoZ Dec 24, 2001

This is a really good idea! If I were an agency/individual looking for a translator, this would be of interest to me. The pessimist in me says that most people would not actually pay attention to these statistics, but.. it would still be nice to have this data available.

R.

Quote:

On 2001-12-23 23:36, AbacusTrans wrote:

Henry,

All KudoZ questions posted by members sho... See more
This is a really good idea! If I were an agency/individual looking for a translator, this would be of interest to me. The pessimist in me says that most people would not actually pay attention to these statistics, but.. it would still be nice to have this data available.

R.

Quote:

On 2001-12-23 23:36, AbacusTrans wrote:

Henry,

Collapse

Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL
Giovanni Guarnieri MITI, MIL  Identity Verified
Великобритания
Local time: 18:19
Член ProZ.com c 2004
английский => итальянский
Yes, that would get rid of a lot of unprofessionals... Dec 24, 2001

posting questions which cleraly show their incompetence, especially when these people translate out of their mother tongue...

It\'s a great idea. The only way to show who is professional and who just isn\'t! (well, I\'m allright, I only posted two questions in 1,5 years of Proz...)

GG

Patricia Lutteral
Patricia Lutteral  Identity Verified
Аргентина
Local time: 14:19
английский => испанский
+ ...
Great idea Dec 24, 2001

Werner, I absolutely agree with you on this.

Questions tell a lot about the overall quality of the translator: not only about source and target language knowledge and resourcefulness, but also about common sense; sometimes the most unsuitable answers are chosen, and included in gossaries!

They would also shed a light on some ridiculously low fees.

Merry Christmas to everybody,

Patrici
... See more
Werner, I absolutely agree with you on this.

Questions tell a lot about the overall quality of the translator: not only about source and target language knowledge and resourcefulness, but also about common sense; sometimes the most unsuitable answers are chosen, and included in gossaries!

They would also shed a light on some ridiculously low fees.

Merry Christmas to everybody,

Patricia
[addsig]
Collapse

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Испания
Local time: 19:19
испанский => английский
+ ...
I'm all for this, too... Dec 24, 2001

.... and don\'t have much else to add after the well-put statements above, so will just say:

Happy holidays to everyone!

Cindy

LJC (X)
LJC (X)
Франция
французский => английский
+ ...
This idea is sensible, logical and workable... Dec 26, 2001

... and can only benefit serious translators and job posters, while not discouraging those genuinely stuck with a term.

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Швейцария
французский => немецкий
+ ...
Workable? I doubt it. Dec 30, 2001

As long as people are allowed to have several identities on proZ, it simply won\'t work. You\'ll ask your question under one identity and you may even give an answer under your other identity, grabbing points and getting answers for terms you are unable to translate.

Why do you think people get points for totally wrong answers? Precisely for these reasons.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Модератор(ы) этого форума
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Meritocracy and KudoZ

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »