Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:37
English to German
+ ...
Job posting rule 1.1 Jun 12, 2007

Hi again,
Just to clarify, I did not identify anything improper or illegitimate about the job or the outsourcer.

However, the poster had the full liberty of indicating such objectives in this ad and he/she would have received much support from this community. Nothing of the sort transpired from that text, which is probably why Ralf nixed it immediately.

I removed it on the basis of ProZ.com job posting rule 1.1:

ProZ.com's job posting system is provided solely for the purpose of announcing jobs of interest to language professionals. Postings that do not concern jobs, or that concern jobs that are not of interest to translators, interpreters or other language professionals, are not allowed.

Note that whenever there is doubt regarding whether or not a job is of interest to language professionals, moderators leave the decision to members rather than removing it. I did not have any doubt here.

Best regards,
Ralf

mediamatrix (X)
mediamatrix (X)
Local time: 09:37
Spanish to English
+ ...
A suggestion Jun 12, 2007

In view of the comments here, which have turned out somewhat less negative than at the start, I'd like to suggest that Ralf might contact the outsourcer, drawing attention to the rules and to this thread, and inviting them to post it again in a way that addresses adult proz.com members rather than youngsters directly and, bearing in mind the ever-present dangers targetting kids on the Internet, that adequate safeguards are in place to protect the ... See more
In view of the comments here, which have turned out somewhat less negative than at the start, I'd like to suggest that Ralf might contact the outsourcer, drawing attention to the rules and to this thread, and inviting them to post it again in a way that addresses adult proz.com members rather than youngsters directly and, bearing in mind the ever-present dangers targetting kids on the Internet, that adequate safeguards are in place to protect the interests of the youngsters who might be recruited.

I should emphasise here that I am in no way involved in the project in question. I didn't even see the original post and I almost certainly wouldn't be in position to help the poster anyway. My concern here is that the professional translator community ought to be showing itself to be open-minded regarding what is and is not translation-related, should be facilitating good professional practice such as testing intelligibilty for end-users where this is part of a legitimate project and, as a by-product, should take up opportunities to encourage young people to learn about language and communication through hands-on involvement.

MediaMatrix
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:37
English to German
+ ...
Already contacted the poster Jun 12, 2007

Hi Mediamatrix,
mediamatrix wrote:

In view of the comments here, which have turned out somewhat less negative than at the start, I'd like to suggest that Ralf might contact the outsourcer, drawing attention to the rules and to this thread, and inviting them to post it again in a way that addresses adult proz.com members rather than youngsters directly and, bearing in mind the ever-present dangers targetting kids on the Internet, that adequate safeguards are in place to protect the interests of the youngsters who might be recruited.

Thanks for the suggestion.
A message was already sent to the outsourcer when the job was removed - we never remove a job without notifying the poster. I added a reference to the rules - there was no response whatsoever.

Best regards,
Ralf

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job posting looking for someone who is not a language professional

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »