Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Is a gender-specified job posting allowed here?
Thread poster: jsl (X)
Rick Henry
Rick Henry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:09
Italian to English
+ ...
I have to ask... Apr 18, 2003

Quote:

On 2003-04-18 08:05, SimplyMe wrote:

If I\'d like to have a brochure written about e. g. shoes - I\'d NEVER ask a man to do this.

Why?

Quote:

If I\'d like to have a brochure written about maintanance of cars or computers - I\'d NEVER ask a woman to do this.

Why?

<... See more
Quote:

On 2003-04-18 08:05, SimplyMe wrote:

If I\'d like to have a brochure written about e. g. shoes - I\'d NEVER ask a man to do this.

Why?

Quote:

If I\'d like to have a brochure written about maintanance of cars or computers - I\'d NEVER ask a woman to do this.

Why?

Quote:

And if I\'d like to have a secretary - I\'d never ask a man if he\'d like to do that job.

Why?

You profile doesn\'t indicate where you actually are, but in the US, this is downright illegal.

Collapse

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:09
Russian to English
+ ...
Simply Me Apr 18, 2003

I don\'t know which planet you\'ve just landed from Mr/Mrs Simply Me, but they clearly have very strange notions about the acceptibility of gender stereotyping. By the way, out of curiousity are you male, female, or just simply you?

tazdog (X)
tazdog (X)
Spain
Local time: 12:09
Spanish to English
+ ...
agree with Jill... Apr 18, 2003

...except the word I would use, rather than \"old fashioned,\" is \"sexist.\" Just in case you\'re not sure of the meaning of that word, here\'s the definition:

sex·ism

n.

Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.

Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender.

sexist adj. & n.

And, as others have pointed out, this is ill
... See more
...except the word I would use, rather than \"old fashioned,\" is \"sexist.\" Just in case you\'re not sure of the meaning of that word, here\'s the definition:

sex·ism

n.

Discrimination based on gender, especially discrimination against women.

Attitudes, conditions, or behaviors that promote stereotyping of social roles based on gender.

sexist adj. & n.

And, as others have pointed out, this is illegal in many countries, and especially in the United States.
Collapse

Aleksandra Mandrapa
Aleksandra Mandrapa  Identity Verified
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Sometimes it does matter Apr 18, 2003

I agree with Dan and Cindy, but there are some exceptions. For translations, it should not make any difference if a translator is a man or a woman, only qualifications, competency and experience should be the deciding factor. However, for interpreting, I think it\'s important to have an interpreter of the same gender in certain situations - mostly for medical interpreting. People feel uncomfortable enough about being at the doctor\'s, and not being able to communicate - and, it helps a little bi... See more
I agree with Dan and Cindy, but there are some exceptions. For translations, it should not make any difference if a translator is a man or a woman, only qualifications, competency and experience should be the deciding factor. However, for interpreting, I think it\'s important to have an interpreter of the same gender in certain situations - mostly for medical interpreting. People feel uncomfortable enough about being at the doctor\'s, and not being able to communicate - and, it helps a little bit if they have an interpreter of the same gender. They are hesitant to talk about some problems if they don\'t. Don\'t you agree?

Of course, for the translations, it shouldn\'t matter at all, it\'s just stereotyping and prejudice - and if we let that lead us, we are not going to get far in any field.
Collapse

Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to English
+ ...
You're right, of course, Aleksandra Apr 18, 2003

A friend of mine (female) works as an interpreter for social services quite often Assignments include things such as interpreting for French-speaking refugees on trips to the gynecologist, or even attending childbirths. I can understand entirely why they would only want a female translator for such jobs.

Similarly, I can also understand why a female translator might, for example, be preferred to undertake the translation of certain female novelists (not all, just certain one
... See more
A friend of mine (female) works as an interpreter for social services quite often Assignments include things such as interpreting for French-speaking refugees on trips to the gynecologist, or even attending childbirths. I can understand entirely why they would only want a female translator for such jobs.

Similarly, I can also understand why a female translator might, for example, be preferred to undertake the translation of certain female novelists (not all, just certain ones) as, with the right translator, there is likely to be more insight/empathy.

Harder to think of examples where a client should have the right to insist on a male translator. I do quite a bit of interpreting for football clubs - I suppose if the interpreter was required to venture into the dressing room, that might be an argument for only employing a man. I did a job with the Arsenal women\'s team the other month - unfortunately I wasn\'t needed in the dressing room, so that issue didn\'t come up.

[ This Message was edited by: The Tautologist on 2003-04-18 18:31]
Collapse

Aleksandra Mandrapa
Aleksandra Mandrapa  Identity Verified
English to Bosnian
+ ...
Exactly, Dan Apr 18, 2003

And, (my son who is in second grade would now say: \"You never start sentences with AND\") - you could actually find the male interpreter more appropriate in similar situations, also - whenever the male patient needs to take the clothes off (in most of the medical situations), or even to talk about certain physical problems.

I was personally in a situation when I was interpreting for an older gentleman at the psychiatric clinic on a regular basis. One time they asked me to interpret f
... See more
And, (my son who is in second grade would now say: \"You never start sentences with AND\") - you could actually find the male interpreter more appropriate in similar situations, also - whenever the male patient needs to take the clothes off (in most of the medical situations), or even to talk about certain physical problems.

I was personally in a situation when I was interpreting for an older gentleman at the psychiatric clinic on a regular basis. One time they asked me to interpret for him again, but this time it was just regular doctor\'s appointment. He was very uncomfortable, and he kept saying: \"I am sorry that I have to talk about this, you could be my daughter, etc\" I encouraged him to speak about everything freely, and not to pay any attention to me, I told him that I am professional interpreter and he shouldn\'t feel that way etc... But, we both felt very bad for different reasons. I felt that I couldn\'t help him, and I wished some guy was there instead of me.

Also in some cultures is highly inappropriate to have an interpreter (and even a doctor) of different gender.
Collapse

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Georgian to English
+ ...
legal exceptions Apr 18, 2003

I would expect that laws dealing with this issue allow reasonable exceptions in a minority of situations, eg: in the sorts of circumstances that D. & A. mention. Usually they do in the UK. But the the advertiser/ employer has to be able to show that their situation is genuinely one of the small minority of exceptional situations of this sort.

[ This Message was edited by: giulik on 2003-04-19 02:16]

uJapan
uJapan
English to Japanese
+ ...
By the author of http://www.proz.com/job?id=35089 Apr 19, 2003

Hello

I apologize for the controversy my posting stirred.

However, as was clearly specified in the message, the position is for another company in Japan. This company specifically requested a female for this job.

In Japan, it is not illegal to be gender-specific when recruiting people. As this client (company) is based in Japan, there is no problem.

Obviously, if you are male and feel qualified for this positio
... See more
Hello

I apologize for the controversy my posting stirred.

However, as was clearly specified in the message, the position is for another company in Japan. This company specifically requested a female for this job.

In Japan, it is not illegal to be gender-specific when recruiting people. As this client (company) is based in Japan, there is no problem.

Obviously, if you are male and feel qualified for this position, please feel free to email with your CV and reason why you would like the job.

Thank you.

Regards,

Inori Tateishi

http://www.proz.com/job?id=35089
Collapse

ana claudia jorge
ana claudia jorge  Identity Verified
Portugal
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Portugal: discrimination is forbidden Apr 28, 2003

As some people are mentioning the situation in their countries, here is the Portuguese situation: sex(religion, political) discrimination is not allowed - I believe it\'s in the Constitution.

Personally, and although Portugal is a bit old-fashioned in terms of this issue, I think we are making quite good progresses on this matter. It is not uncommon to see m/f mechanical engineers, for example, asked for - as it is compulsory. If they actually choose a woman, that is another
... See more
As some people are mentioning the situation in their countries, here is the Portuguese situation: sex(religion, political) discrimination is not allowed - I believe it\'s in the Constitution.

Personally, and although Portugal is a bit old-fashioned in terms of this issue, I think we are making quite good progresses on this matter. It is not uncommon to see m/f mechanical engineers, for example, asked for - as it is compulsory. If they actually choose a woman, that is another question, but I know some that are in \"traditional male jobs\".

I\'d just like to tell a refreshing story:

a few months ago, I replied to a job posting asking for someone speaking German - just that. I phoned them and they told me they preferred a man, as it involved going to Germany and helping Portuguese migrant building workers (men) to deal with papers, go to the supermarket, etc. I still said I would apply and surprise! They chose me. I had got something else in the meantime and I didn\'t go. I\'d probably be the only woman in the place...

Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is a gender-specified job posting allowed here?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »