Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]
Poll: Do you have a favorite word in each of your languages? Please share!
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
sophieb
sophieb  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 18:18
inglés al francés
+ ...
a question of music Mar 3, 2008

these are my favourites, only because of their sound, be it funny or just beautiful to me

French : tintinnabuler
German : Eichhörnchen
English : buoyancy

not from my languages
Italian : rinascimento
Portugese : saudade

Veronica Manole (X)
Veronica Manole (X)
Rumania
Local time: 19:18
portugués al rumano
+ ...
I like "criança" in Portuguese Mar 3, 2008

I don't know why

David Girón Béjar
David Girón Béjar
España
Local time: 17:18
inglés al español
+ ...
My favourite words Mar 3, 2008

Catalan

"Ploure a bots i barrals": "To rain cats and dogs"

Spanish

"charnego": A foreigner not linguistically adapted to the Catalan speaking community. It is not a pejorative term and many writers and politicians claim their condition of "charnego". We find the origin of this word in the Spanish word "lucharniego" (a kind of dog that hunts at night).

English

"hiccough": I like the music of its pronunciation.

French... See more
Catalan

"Ploure a bots i barrals": "To rain cats and dogs"

Spanish

"charnego": A foreigner not linguistically adapted to the Catalan speaking community. It is not a pejorative term and many writers and politicians claim their condition of "charnego". We find the origin of this word in the Spanish word "lucharniego" (a kind of dog that hunts at night).

English

"hiccough": I like the music of its pronunciation.

French

"mon amour": Very romantic.
Collapse

Réka Kovács
Réka Kovács
Rumania
inglés al húngaro
+ ...
favourite name Mar 3, 2008

I have a favourite name in my mothertongue (Hungarian). It is "Kincső". It comes from "kincs" that means treasure, and it sounds like it too. I just love it.

Someone wrote that he/she likes "smooth" in English. I love that word also. And there is another one: "cristal clear"

I think the best sounded Romanian word is "uliţă" which means alley, alleyway.

Thanks for making it possible to sh
... See more
I have a favourite name in my mothertongue (Hungarian). It is "Kincső". It comes from "kincs" that means treasure, and it sounds like it too. I just love it.

Someone wrote that he/she likes "smooth" in English. I love that word also. And there is another one: "cristal clear"

I think the best sounded Romanian word is "uliţă" which means alley, alleyway.

Thanks for making it possible to share...

[Edited at 2008-03-03 14:37]

[Edited at 2008-03-03 14:37]
Collapse

Heidi Gutt
Heidi Gutt
Local time: 10:18
japonés al inglés
my favorite words in English and Japanese Mar 3, 2008

I like the word 'collywobbles' in English. It just sounds so silly that you can't help but smile when you say it.

As for Japanese, a lot of their onomatopoeia words are fun to say because the sounds usually repeat themselves, like にこにこ (nikoniko, used to say someone is smiling). I also like the word for 'magnifying glass', 虫眼鏡 (mushimegane) because literally it means "bug glasses".

I also like the word Bär (bear) in German because it looks different from
... See more
I like the word 'collywobbles' in English. It just sounds so silly that you can't help but smile when you say it.

As for Japanese, a lot of their onomatopoeia words are fun to say because the sounds usually repeat themselves, like にこにこ (nikoniko, used to say someone is smiling). I also like the word for 'magnifying glass', 虫眼鏡 (mushimegane) because literally it means "bug glasses".

I also like the word Bär (bear) in German because it looks different from the English but sounds very much the same.
Collapse

swacinternation
swacinternation  Identity Verified
Bélgica
Local time: 18:18
neerlandés al inglés
+ ...
Fingerspitzengefühl Mar 4, 2008

German : Fingerspitzengefühl : sure insticnt, flair

French : truc (you can use this word tvery often when you don't know a word and you want to complete your sentence; expression: 'ne bouge pas' if you want to say, wait a second...

Danish : mormor, morfar, farmor, farfar : such a logic way of thinking to express who is your grandmam/-dad from mother's side and father's side!

Maria Diaconu
Maria Diaconu  Identity Verified
Rumania
inglés al rumano
In English: Mar 4, 2008

... paraphernalia. But it's actually Latin

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a favorite word in each of your languages? Please share!

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »