Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Holandia
Local time: 19:54
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

angielski > niderlandzki
+ ...
Jan 26, 2003

Lately I\'ve been getting some winword exception errors quite regularly. I\'m using a Dell 1.6 Ghz with WinME machine with Winword2000 SP1 (+proofing tools and vanDale spellingchecker). Although vanilla version seems to crash also. My machine is also running NAV 2002, and is clean.

Occasionally deleting the normal.dot or reinstalling seems to help for a while... but it\'s not the solution, ...

I\'m a little lost - does anybody have a magic solution ? (buy a Mac?)
<
... See more
Lately I\'ve been getting some winword exception errors quite regularly. I\'m using a Dell 1.6 Ghz with WinME machine with Winword2000 SP1 (+proofing tools and vanDale spellingchecker). Although vanilla version seems to crash also. My machine is also running NAV 2002, and is clean.

Occasionally deleting the normal.dot or reinstalling seems to help for a while... but it\'s not the solution, ...

I\'m a little lost - does anybody have a magic solution ? (buy a Mac?)

Thanks!

Ed
Collapse

Sonja Tomaskovic (X)
Sonja Tomaskovic (X)  Identity Verified
Niemcy
angielski > niemiecki
+ ...
Buying a Mac... Jan 27, 2003

... can be a solution, but will not save you from any other sort of error that can occur on Macs.

Instead, could you explain more detailed what kind of problem you have. You are receiving exception errors more or less regularly and cannot get rid of it.

But what exactly are you doing with Word before you get such an error? Are you experiencing it with a certain kind of document? Or even if you open Word with an empty
... See more
... can be a solution, but will not save you from any other sort of error that can occur on Macs.

Instead, could you explain more detailed what kind of problem you have. You are receiving exception errors more or less regularly and cannot get rid of it.

But what exactly are you doing with Word before you get such an error? Are you experiencing it with a certain kind of document? Or even if you open Word with an empty page?

Some details can make it easier for us to help you. A screenshot of the alert box that appears might be helpful, too.

Kind regards,

Sonja

P.S.

I just found the following link on the web regarding exception errors in general. Maybe this one can help you out. http://www.generation.net/~hleboeuf/fatlexer.htm

[ This Message was edited by:on2003-01-27 11:55]
Collapse

Arthur Borges
Arthur Borges
Chiny
Local time: 01:54
angielski
+ ...
Check the Miscrosoft site - This smells like a standard MS bug. Jan 27, 2003

Quote:

Thanks!

Ed

Or have someone do it for you if you\'re as lost as I am when it comes to the innards of WinWord.

Had a normal.dot bug too and that\'s where the source of the problem probably is.

Edward Vreeburg
Edward Vreeburg  Identity Verified
Holandia
Członek ProZ.com
od 2008

angielski > niderlandzki
+ ...
NOWY TEMAT
thanks sofar Feb 3, 2003

The problems seems to occur when I\'m

A) doing absolutely nothing (i.e. having a cup to tea)

B) when I try to save a document

I know my normal.dot has been corrupted in the past ( I\'ve reinstalled and changed it to read only, just to see when it\'s being updated ).

I also found some documents on possibly corrputed plugins (antivirus etc)... I\'ll let you know what happens, thanks anyway!

Matthew Coulson
Matthew Coulson  Identity Verified
albański > angielski
+ ...
Just work constantly. Feb 8, 2003

Many computers are set up to run a lot of tasks while the user isn\'t using them. If you haven\'t specifically told Windows to not \"Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching\" you may be running into file lock issues. MS-Word tries to gain an explicit lock on the files you are editing so that nothing else can touch them. Windows ME has a tendency to ignore such locks and permit applications to crash. The fact that you are finding occasional file corruption indicates that... See more
Many computers are set up to run a lot of tasks while the user isn\'t using them. If you haven\'t specifically told Windows to not \"Allow Indexing Service to index this disk for fast file searching\" you may be running into file lock issues. MS-Word tries to gain an explicit lock on the files you are editing so that nothing else can touch them. Windows ME has a tendency to ignore such locks and permit applications to crash. The fact that you are finding occasional file corruption indicates that a program was trying to modify the file while it decided to crash. The AutoRecover saves in MS-Word can be what is occuring when the indexing service or your anti-virus software (the typical 2 culprits) decide that they really want to be playing with your file.Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Winword exception errors

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »