Thread poster: Kostas Zgafas
Kostas Zgafas
Kostas Zgafas
Czech Republic
Local time: 07:36
English to Czech
+ ...
Sep 28, 2014

Just curious if you find LinkedIn as a marketing tool that works for you.

Thank you,

Kostas

Maya M Fourioti
Maya M Fourioti  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 08:36
Member (2010)
English to Greek
+ ...
Never Sep 28, 2014

Dear colleague,

It has never occurred to me to get a job from L and I do not think it will.
Good question, though.

Paulinho Fonseca
Paulinho Fonseca  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:36
Member (2011)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Never Sep 28, 2014

Maya Fourioti wrote:

Dear colleague,

It has never occurred to me to get a job from L and I do not think it will.
Good question, though.

That's a good point. I never got jobs from linkedin and my account is old. I use free version. They keep offering me the premium account which I find very expensive.
It has only worked in order to keep in touch with colleagues from places I worked.

Cheers.

Jean Lachaud
Jean Lachaud  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:36
English to French
+ ...
No Sep 29, 2014

No.

Kostas Zgafas wrote:

Just curious if you find LinkedIn as a marketing tool that works for you.

Anthony Teixeira
Anthony Teixeira
Japan
Local time: 14:36
Member (2011)
English to French
+ ...
No translation jobs Sep 29, 2014

I was once offered a very serious full-time job in another industry (IT), but I declined it.
I also received a few offers for full-time translation, but these were pretty ridiculous.

So LinkedIn never landed me a freelance job, but I still use it. It's a good place to get information and exchange ideas with fellow translators.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 23:36
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 29, 2014

I include LinkedIn as part of my overall marketing plan, as well as Facebook and Twitter. I have picked up a several projects in my favorite field (video games!) and am currently negotiating with a couple of end clients that are interested in my translation app.

Make sure to join groups that are related to your areas of expertise, not just translation. In my case, I'm part of several video game developer and video game marketing groups. I share information about my services, my poi
... See more
I include LinkedIn as part of my overall marketing plan, as well as Facebook and Twitter. I have picked up a several projects in my favorite field (video games!) and am currently negotiating with a couple of end clients that are interested in my translation app.

Make sure to join groups that are related to your areas of expertise, not just translation. In my case, I'm part of several video game developer and video game marketing groups. I share information about my services, my point of view on several subjects that they bring up, and answer any translation/localization related questions that come up. It's a lot like Proz in that you get back what you put into it.

Go to where your customers are; show them that you can add value to their company; and be available to meet those needs.
Collapse

Tatiana Kochegarova
Tatiana Kochegarova  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:36
Russian to English
+ ...
Yes Sep 29, 2014

It's a very good question.
I have received several offers for freelance projects and in-house translator positions. It's a great portal for being discovered as a translator and to promote your expertise, if used correctly.

Enrico Antonio Mion
Enrico Antonio Mion  Identity Verified
France
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes Sep 29, 2014

I think that the 2 previous posts sum up what to do with LinkedIn. I have received one job offer, and it's useful to gather information and good reading material.

Howard Camm
Howard Camm  Identity Verified
Belgium
Italian to English
+ ...
LinkedIn is no longer a professional site - avoid it! Sep 29, 2014

Both my wife and I used to have LinkedIn profiles, but when the decision was made to lower the minimum age for registration from 18yrs to 16yrs (NL), 14yrs (USA) and 13 yrs (UK), we immediately closed our accounts. We saw how other social media were frequently 'hijacked' by those age groups and then rapidly deteriorated and we both took the view that users in those age groups could not by definition be 'professional', making a nonsense of LinkedIn's claim to be a 'professional' networking site. ... See more
Both my wife and I used to have LinkedIn profiles, but when the decision was made to lower the minimum age for registration from 18yrs to 16yrs (NL), 14yrs (USA) and 13 yrs (UK), we immediately closed our accounts. We saw how other social media were frequently 'hijacked' by those age groups and then rapidly deteriorated and we both took the view that users in those age groups could not by definition be 'professional', making a nonsense of LinkedIn's claim to be a 'professional' networking site. There were also other issues involved in our decision to end our registration with LinkedIn - for example, my wife is a teacher and did not wish to potentially share her professional details with the children she teaches! Additionally, her school at the time routinely blocked all social media sites accessed by the children on school premises, so she would have been completely unable to access her account on site. The only reason LinkedIn reduced the minimum age requirement for registration was to compete with Facebook and similar sites and had nothing, in our opinion, to do with 'making professional expertise available' to younger people. For the record, in all the time we had LinkedIn accounts, neither of us got any work as a result and I would strongly advise against registration on the site. PROZ is a much better option for translators and interpreters - it is certainly much safer and I have received a great deal of work via PROZ, both directly and indirectly. PROZ is an appropriately recognised professional site and I commend it wholeheartedly as the sensible option.Collapse

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:36
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I agree Sep 29, 2014

I concur with Howard, and thank you, Howard, for your interesting and comprehensive comments.

I tried LinkedIn a few years ago and signed up to various groups I thought might bring me some translating work, but it seemed like a shot in the dark. In the end I decided that it was a waste of time. My account is probably still out there somewhere, lost in space like David Bowie's Major Tom !

Clive Phillips
Clive Phillips  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:36
Member (2009)
German to English
+ ...
Some significant benefits Sep 29, 2014

Through LinkedIn, I have formed a good business relationship with a French translator colleague. This has led to several job offers for me, as well as terminology assistance, and I hope that I will be able to reciprocate more in the future.

Through LI groups, I have gleaned useful advice on software and translator lifestyle from professional colleagues and have been able to contribute some knowledge and fruits of experience from forty years in the translation sector.

LI
... See more
Through LinkedIn, I have formed a good business relationship with a French translator colleague. This has led to several job offers for me, as well as terminology assistance, and I hope that I will be able to reciprocate more in the future.

Through LI groups, I have gleaned useful advice on software and translator lifestyle from professional colleagues and have been able to contribute some knowledge and fruits of experience from forty years in the translation sector.

LI has also enabled me to trace former fellow students and to learn from the contributions of connections in other careers.

I agree with Triston & Gaby that it is important to join groups that are related to your areas of expertise, not just translation:
"Go to where your customers are; show them that you can add value to their company; and be available to meet those needs."

It is true that there is much candy floss and dross but it is easy to skip to the more serious and substantive contributions.
Collapse

Roy Williams
Roy Williams  Identity Verified
Austria
German to English
Recently registered Sep 29, 2014

I recently registered on Linked, because I thought it might get me some work. So far nothng, but as some one mentioned, it is a good source of information and some interesting reading. Definitely not yet worth the investment in premium membership; whatever that means.

[Edited at 2014-09-29 09:40 GMT]

Mailand
Mailand  Identity Verified
Member (2009)
Italian to German
+ ...
1 job in 2 years Sep 29, 2014

I've received 1 job through LinkedIn, but 99% of the "offers" I receive from the system have nothing at all to do with my profile. As someone else wrote, I use it more as a means to remain in contact with business related acquaintances. I have to admit that I had no idea about them lowering the "age of consent"... (I use L from Italy - maybe here it's different?). Surely this fact won't help keeping this tool professional. But admittedly I don't invest neither time (to update or make my profile ... See more
I've received 1 job through LinkedIn, but 99% of the "offers" I receive from the system have nothing at all to do with my profile. As someone else wrote, I use it more as a means to remain in contact with business related acquaintances. I have to admit that I had no idea about them lowering the "age of consent"... (I use L from Italy - maybe here it's different?). Surely this fact won't help keeping this tool professional. But admittedly I don't invest neither time (to update or make my profile more interesting) nor money (use only the free version).Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto Sep 29, 2014

Tom in London wrote:

I concur with Howard, and thank you, Howard, for your interesting and comprehensive comments.

I tried LinkedIn a few years ago and signed up to various groups I thought might bring me some translating work, but it seemed like a shot in the dark. In the end I decided that it was a waste of time. My account is probably still out there somewhere, lost in space like David Bowie's Major Tom !

Same here. I perceive LinkedIn as being like one of those sitcom stereotypes - someone you gave your details to once, perhaps on holiday, who later turns out to be a pest that you can never get rid of....

If someone can make it work for them and get something positive out of it, then fair enough, but I never found it useful or anything other than a waste of time.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 02:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Mone, ever! Sep 29, 2014

neilmac wrote:

If someone can make it work for them and get something positive out of it, then fair enough, but I never found it useful or anything other than a waste of time.

A perfect description of my feelings about LinkedIn.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Are you getting jobs through LinkedIn?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »