Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
How can I market myself to boost my income?
Thread poster: Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon
Paul Dixon  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:14
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Mar 1, 2010

I would like to know if there is any way I can market myself so that more people know about my services and so I can get more clients and hence better rates. In particular, I would like to know if it would be a good idea to sign up for a site like Xing or Translia. I am on the books of LinkedIn but nothing has come up yet. I had never heard of Xing before, it seems it is not popular in Brazil. As for Translia, I came across it on the Web but know nothing about it. I could advertise but advertise... See more
I would like to know if there is any way I can market myself so that more people know about my services and so I can get more clients and hence better rates. In particular, I would like to know if it would be a good idea to sign up for a site like Xing or Translia. I am on the books of LinkedIn but nothing has come up yet. I had never heard of Xing before, it seems it is not popular in Brazil. As for Translia, I came across it on the Web but know nothing about it. I could advertise but advertisements are expensive. I could become a paying member of ProZ, but I was a member for six months (won in a Conference raffle) and did not get a single job through ProZ in that time, so did not renew. I guess sending mailshots could be an idea but that also has been tried and no response.

Suggestions welcome.
Collapse

Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:14
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Interesting... Mar 1, 2010

I will be going back to Brazil soon, and it would be nice to hear some ideas.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:14
German to Spanish
+ ...
How can I market myself to boost my income? Mar 1, 2010

Paul Dixon wrote:

I would like to know if there is any way I can market myself so that more people know about my services and so I can get more clients and hence better rates. In particular, I would like to know if it would be a good idea to sign up for a site like Xing or Translia.

Social marketing is not so easy as someone may believe. They are many steps to follow, after creating an account. I send you trough ProZ mail a link were you may download a pdf-book you may/should read before to do this. A quick reading, studying in depth the central issues is well worth the time invested.

I am on the books of LinkedIn but nothing has come up yet. I had never heard of Xing before, it seems it is not popular in Brazil. As for Translia, I came across it on the Web but know nothing about it. I could advertise but advertisements are expensive. I could become a paying member of ProZ, but I was a member for six months (won in a Conference raffle) and did not get a single job through ProZ in that time, so did not renew. I guess sending mailshots could be an idea but that also has been tried and no response.

Ask (and answer yourself...) to this question: If I do what everybody does, wich are my probabilities of success?

Paula Borges
Paula Borges  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2010)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Dear Pablo Mar 1, 2010

That is very kind of you, thank you very much.

Paul Dixon
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
To Pablo Mar 1, 2010

I shall be waiting for the e-book, and shall surely read it with great interest.

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
How can I market myself to boost my income? Mar 1, 2010

Paul Dixon wrote:

I shall be waiting for the e-book, and shall surely read it with great interest.

You did not receive already the download link to the e-book trough your ProZ mail?
Just asking, because I send the mail to you at the same as to Paula...

[Editado a las 2010-03-01 23:02 GMT]

Paul Dixon
Brazil
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
No link received as yet Mar 2, 2010

Dear Pablo,

No link received as yet.

PAUL

Transitwrite
Transitwrite  Identity Verified
France
French to English
+ ...
E-Book Mar 2, 2010

Hello Pablo,
If the e-book you mention is not just related to your language pair, could you please send me the link too?
Many thanks
Sharon

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
E-book Mar 2, 2010

Paul Dixon wrote:

Dear Pablo,

No link received as yet.

PAUL

I send it now twice. If you still did not receive it, send me your private mail trough ProZ's mail system and I will send it to you directly.

[Editado a las 2010-03-02 08:28 GMT]

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 16:14
English to Russian
+ ...
Me too Mar 2, 2010

Pablo Bouvier wrote:
I will send it to you directly.

Could it be an open source link Pablo? I would like to read it too.
Thank you.

Oleg

Evmorfia Papageorgiou
Evmorfia Papageorgiou  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 16:14
Italian to Greek
+ ...
Me too! Mar 2, 2010

Oleg Osipov wrote:

Pablo Bouvier wrote:
I will send it to you directly.

Could it be an open source link Pablo? I would like to read it too.
Thank you.

Oleg

I would also like to read it, Pablo.
Thanks in advance
Evi

Vicky Nash
Vicky Nash  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English
Me too! Mar 2, 2010

Please!

Valentina Balšić
Valentina Balšić  Identity Verified
Ireland
English to Croatian
+ ...
One more Mar 2, 2010

Signing up for the book as well! Thanks!

Val

Pablo Bouvier
German to Spanish
+ ...
How can I market myself to boost my income?" Mar 2, 2010

Paul Dixon wrote:

Hi, Paul: I send the book to your both private mail addresses this afternoon (here) and the link another time a few second ago trough the ProZ mail system.

Jennifer Price (X)
Jennifer Price (X)
United States
Local time: 08:14
Afrikaans to English
+ ...
E-Book Mar 3, 2010

Could I get a copy of the ebook to learn how to market myself too, please.

Thank you

Jennifer

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How can I market myself to boost my income?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »