How to say sorry
Thread poster: Linda Kelly
Brian Young
Brian Young  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:10
Danish to English
excuse me! Apr 28, 2010

This is a similar and extremely overworked expression in the US. Especially when shopping. People don't even have to bump into you, or you into them. Just passing someone in an aisle often elicits an "excuse me". It is so constant and pervasive that it almost drives me crazy. And if you dare to walk in front of someone who is standing on the far side of an aisle, looking at products on the shelf, then it's "I'm sorry", or excuse me. Then the verbal expression is usually reinforced by ducking and... See more
This is a similar and extremely overworked expression in the US. Especially when shopping. People don't even have to bump into you, or you into them. Just passing someone in an aisle often elicits an "excuse me". It is so constant and pervasive that it almost drives me crazy. And if you dare to walk in front of someone who is standing on the far side of an aisle, looking at products on the shelf, then it's "I'm sorry", or excuse me. Then the verbal expression is usually reinforced by ducking and smiling as if they had just done something unpardonable. And again, as mentioned by others, it really doesn't mean anything. It's just a stupid habit that people do not feel they can break.Collapse

George Hopkins
George Hopkins
Local time: 13:10
Swedish to English
Re Nesrin's little magic words Apr 29, 2010

The magic word I miss most in Swedish is 'please'. There is no such word in Swedish, but, as in all languages, there are words and expressions that you simply have to learn.

The other thing I miss in Sweden is Cadbury's chocolate.

On being bumped into on the street the old lady said, don't apologize, at my age I'm thankful for every little push.

[Edited at 2010-04-29 08:56 GMT]

Buzzy
Buzzy
Local time: 13:10
French to English
"Sorry" as an expression of sympathy is also a trap Apr 29, 2010

How many times in France have I said without thinking "je suis désolée", literally "I'm sorry..." to express sympathy when someone's mother has died or someone's had a bad day, but it sounds really weird in French - occasionally eliciting a surprised look and the reaction "Why? it wasn't your fault!"

My (charming, naturally) 9-year old son refuses to say sorry - in either language - when he bumps into anyone or kicks them by accident, because "J'ai pas fait exprès!!! (I didn't do
... See more
How many times in France have I said without thinking "je suis désolée", literally "I'm sorry..." to express sympathy when someone's mother has died or someone's had a bad day, but it sounds really weird in French - occasionally eliciting a surprised look and the reaction "Why? it wasn't your fault!"

My (charming, naturally) 9-year old son refuses to say sorry - in either language - when he bumps into anyone or kicks them by accident, because "J'ai pas fait exprès!!! (I didn't do it on purpose)". I'll obviously have to work on him a bit more if he's going to be truly half-English...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

How to say sorry

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »