Thread poster: jadecassidy
jadecassidy
jadecassidy
Local time: 23:55
French to English
+ ...
Nov 23, 2011

Hello everyone,

I graduated in Modern Languages in 2010 (French, German and Spanish). Since then I have done some freelance translation and worked as a translator at a law firm. However, I would like to get into interpreting as I find translation too solitary for me at present. Am I correct in believing that further study is necessary? Furthermore where would you recommend me to study an MA/ other qualifications? Ideally I would like to study abroad (in either a French, German or Sp
... See more
Hello everyone,

I graduated in Modern Languages in 2010 (French, German and Spanish). Since then I have done some freelance translation and worked as a translator at a law firm. However, I would like to get into interpreting as I find translation too solitary for me at present. Am I correct in believing that further study is necessary? Furthermore where would you recommend me to study an MA/ other qualifications? Ideally I would like to study abroad (in either a French, German or Spanish speaking country). Which universities have an excellent reputation and would offer excellent career prospects? In the future, I may like to work for the European Union or UN, for example.
I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Many thanks and I look forward to your responses.
Collapse

Muzi Li
Muzi Li  Identity Verified
China
Local time: 06:55
Chinese to English
+ ...
recommend University of Bath, UK Nov 23, 2011

I do think further study is necessary to become a professional interpreter.

I got my MA from University of Bath. Its interpretation program is very prestigious, and students are provided with opportunities to intern at the UN Office at Vienna. You may find more info from its website.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
CI courses Nov 23, 2011

There's Bath, Leeds and Herriot-Wyatt in the UK since it seems that you are looking for a CI course. There's also this list (not exhaustive!) of partner universities whose courses have been ''approved'' by the EU:

http://www.emcinterpreting.org/partners.php

Good luck!

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Flemish to English
+ ...
In the French-speaking world. Nov 23, 2011

jadecassidy wrote:

Hello everyone,

In the future, I may like to work for the European Union or UN, for example.
I would greatly appreciate any advice.

Many thanks and I look forward to your responses.

So would many others.
Anyway, the most prestigious schools are ETI, Geneva and ESIT, Paris.
Both come at an affordable price.
Always lots of candidates participating in their admission-tests.
ISIT-Paris is the most expensive interpreter training there is.
ITRI-in Strassbourg focuses both on translation and interpreting.

Both with regard to school-infrastructure, earning an extra during studies (Swiss payment is higher than in the E.U.) as with regard to surroundings, Geneva is the best and most international place to be with a lot of international institutions and possibility to practise around the corner. Good luck.

Note: the first phase to work as a staff-interpreter at the E.U. after you graduate is to pass a test about numerical, verbal and analytic skills and be among the xxx best of the candidates.

[Edited at 2011-11-23 17:27 GMT]

jadecassidy
jadecassidy
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Universities outside of the EU Nov 28, 2011

Thank you very much for your extremely helpful comments. Do you know of any good courses in French/ Spanish speaking countries outside of the EU? (For instance in Latin or Central America, or French-speaking Africa). I am also extremely interested in international development and therefore it would be great to study in Africa or Latin America if possible.
Thanks again.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Further study to become an interpreter?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »