Libero_Lang_Lab
Libero_Lang_Lab  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:15
Russian to English
+ ...
Feb 24, 2003

hi there

i work as a translator, and i also work as an editor, but i have not previously worked as a proofreader or translation editor. can someone give me any idea of what kind of rate ranges are acceptable for these two types of work? and do you charge by the hour or by the word? any clues will be much appreciated.

cheers

dan

AAAmedical
AAAmedical  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 18:15
English to Dutch
+ ...
by the hour for proofreading Feb 24, 2003

As it is difficult to judge in advance the quality of a translation. After viewing a sample of the translation and only when the quality is good I can agree on a rate/word basis, if not by the hour.

Regards

Ann

Sven Petersson
Sven Petersson  Identity Verified
Sweden
English to Swedish
+ ...
By the word Feb 24, 2003

See my fee table on my ProZ page!

Sven.

Maya Jurt
Maya Jurt  Identity Verified
Switzerland
French to German
+ ...
Big question!!!! Feb 24, 2003

Hi Dan,

everbody will tell you \"hourly rates\". But if you do this job for the first time for a client, he does not know how slow or how fast you are. And you do not know the quality of the text you\'ll receive. A tricky business indeed, especially since you are an editor as well.

Do you only need to correct grammar, spelling, ommissions, consistency etc.? Or do you have to check the terminology? What about style? Style should be left alone, but what to do when st
... See more
Hi Dan,

everbody will tell you \"hourly rates\". But if you do this job for the first time for a client, he does not know how slow or how fast you are. And you do not know the quality of the text you\'ll receive. A tricky business indeed, especially since you are an editor as well.

Do you only need to correct grammar, spelling, ommissions, consistency etc.? Or do you have to check the terminology? What about style? Style should be left alone, but what to do when style is missing? As an editor, you will suffer hell.

I always ask for the text and tell people my rate per word according to what I find. And I ask what they want: a text everybody understands and takes as a translation or a well written document. They can choose between day and night and have to pay accordingly.

Salut

Maya
Collapse

OlafK
OlafK
United Kingdom
English to German
+ ...
On the whole I agree with Maya... Feb 25, 2003

but I always charge by the hour. I look for spelling and other errors and only check the terminology if it looks odd. I expect the translator to have done the necessary research. Usually I try to improve the style. (Some clients set a maximum they want to pay beforehand, so I make sure I get the job done within a certain time in order to get my hourly rate. But those are the ones who hire the worst translators because they are cheap. So they get a bad translation proofed and edited in a rush sin... See more
but I always charge by the hour. I look for spelling and other errors and only check the terminology if it looks odd. I expect the translator to have done the necessary research. Usually I try to improve the style. (Some clients set a maximum they want to pay beforehand, so I make sure I get the job done within a certain time in order to get my hourly rate. But those are the ones who hire the worst translators because they are cheap. So they get a bad translation proofed and edited in a rush since that is what they want.)Collapse

bergazy
bergazy  Identity Verified
Croatia
Croatian to Italian
+ ...
Is this some secret? Feb 25, 2003

My usual rates are 0.04$/word and

15/20 $/hour.

Type Revision, Russian => English

Title 2.000.000 words for revision and restyling of systran translation from russian to english. needed native english + good command of russian. 0.01$ per word

Description Tender for translation

We, Delamere Resources Ltd, propose to pay USD 0.01 per word for English revision, editing and styling of Systran machine translation from Rus
... See more
My usual rates are 0.04$/word and

15/20 $/hour.

Type Revision, Russian => English

Title 2.000.000 words for revision and restyling of systran translation from russian to english. needed native english + good command of russian. 0.01$ per word

Description Tender for translation

We, Delamere Resources Ltd, propose to pay USD 0.01 per word for English revision, editing and styling of Systran machine translation from Russian to English of a first volume of a complete edition of “Chronology” series in 7 volumes (abt.2.000.000 words). Original Russian books were written by prominent mathematician and academician A.T.Fomenko with co-authors. These books represent a sensation in the World History, proving definitely with exact astronomical and statistical data the fact of invention of ancient and manipulation of medieval history in XVII-XIX centuries. The books have already been published in Russian with total circulation of over 300.000 copies.

Translator, preferably native English speaker + perfect Russian will have at his disposal:

Original Russian text;

Systran English translation, which has already passed through some human revision;

Files with good human translation of numerous chapters from books by the same authors previously published in English, covering about 50% of the total text. Translator may include these bits and pieces restyling them slightly. Suggested modus operandi for Translator: Translator corrects Systran translation comparing it to Russian text, includes restyled extracts from previous books.

For better idea of our operation visit our sites (under construction):

http://free-history-dictionary-books-hotels-health-maps.mithec.com

http://ringfilm.prohosting.com/apocalypse

Objective:

Revision, editing and stylizing of Systran machine translation. The sentences may be

combined, compacted, but not skipped. The sense must not be changed. Your text is

supposed to be lively and clear for international English speaking public.

To participate in the Tender the Translator is kindly requested to submit 3 samples of

revised texts with his changes and/or corrections in bold italics.

Start of revision is scheduled for 3 March 2003

Daily quota of revision:5-10.000 words

Timeframe for 1 volume: abt.260.000 words, 8-9 weeks. Samples annexed.

Timeframe for 7 volumes : abt.2.000.000 words , 7-8 months

Revised samples to be submitted by Translator by e-mail 28 February 2003 15.00 GMT

Respectfully yours,

Franck Tamdhu

C.E.O.

For inquiries about samples: [email protected]

Deadline 4/24/2003 1:00:00 PM (your time)

4/24/2003 1:00:00 PM (poster\'s time)

Posted on 2/25/2003 11:19:24 AM (your time)

Posted by

Name franck tamdhu

Company mithec

Location 91390 morsang-sur-org

France

Web site http://ringfil.prohosting.com/apocalypse

Have you seen this?

Collapse

sergey (X)
sergey (X)
Russian to English
+ ...
hourly rate per 1000 words Feb 26, 2003

from my experience it takes me roughly an hour to proof-read a 1000 words (about 3 pages), but you can always make changes in your invoice later explaining it took you longer than you expected etc, because they will see your corrections and comments etc. i never had problems when i needed to charge more than i initially estimated.

sergey

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

rates for proofreading and style editing

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »