+ ...
Jun 2, 2003

how are you paid for translation jobs?

Andrea Bullrich
Andrea Bullrich  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:09
English to Spanish
Payment options Jun 6, 2003

There are several options depending on where you are, where your client is and a number of other factors. Some of these options: wire transfer, check, credit card, Paypal... You could type "payment" in the search box and check forum threads on these options.
Good luck!
Andrea

Ramon Somoza
Ramon Somoza  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 18:09
Dutch to Spanish
+ ...
Paypal & bank transfer Aug 11, 2003

I only accept payments either through Paypal (mainly those who wish to pay with a credit card) and transfers to my bank account (for greater amounts). I usually let the client choose which method he prefers.

I had some problems with checks without funds, etc., so I no longer accept these methods. The fees associated to cashing in those checks were (specially in the case of international jobs) also too high. (Paypal also charges you, but it does cost me less than the other method).... See more
I only accept payments either through Paypal (mainly those who wish to pay with a credit card) and transfers to my bank account (for greater amounts). I usually let the client choose which method he prefers.

I had some problems with checks without funds, etc., so I no longer accept these methods. The fees associated to cashing in those checks were (specially in the case of international jobs) also too high. (Paypal also charges you, but it does cost me less than the other method).

The method that is cheapest to you is obviously the bank transfer & it gives the client the assurance that he is paying a legitimate entity - but beware: the exchange rates are going to be killers!

[Edited at 2003-08-11 00:13]
Collapse

Tonina Puggioni
Tonina Puggioni
Italy
English to Italian
+ ...
When The Agency does not pay at all the translator's job Nov 4, 2003

Dear Colleagues,
I need an advise from you.
Last spring I've translated a lot of files for a Translation Agency.
They have sent me the PO per any file I've translated, and they agreed to pay the files after 60 days fro their receipts.
Up to now they have paid me only the first files and they have at least two months' delay in paying the others.
I tried to contact the project Manager to get an explation for the delay but he does not answer at all my E-Mail.
Wh
... See more
Dear Colleagues,
I need an advise from you.
Last spring I've translated a lot of files for a Translation Agency.
They have sent me the PO per any file I've translated, and they agreed to pay the files after 60 days fro their receipts.
Up to now they have paid me only the first files and they have at least two months' delay in paying the others.
I tried to contact the project Manager to get an explation for the delay but he does not answer at all my E-Mail.
What would you suggest?
Kind Regards
Titty
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Send a reminder Nov 5, 2003

Hi Tonina,
The first thing to do once the payment deadline has passed is to send a (written) reminder, perhaps by registered mail so you can prove they received it.

Have you checked the ProZ.com Blue Board as well as payment practices lists for information regarding that particular outsourcer?

Best regards, Ralf

Antonella DI FAZIO (X)
Antonella DI FAZIO (X)
English to Italian
+ ...
;-) same situation Nov 26, 2003

Hi Tonina,
I write you in English cause we are in an international forum, but I'm facing the same situation: I translated for a Spanish agency, they gave me a PO we agreed a rate and a payment term and I saw nothing till today...
I wrote twice and the first time I received an answer and I'm waiting for the second anszer where I simply asked them if there are any news...
Don't worry, if they do not pay I will "spam" them!

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

getting paid

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »