Thread poster: Mariana Rodriguez
LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:42
Russian to English
+ ...
1,500-2,000 for quality translation May 29, 2014

I don't even have to consult a dictionary, translating more general or legal texts, that often. I think this is about the right number of words, if you want to produce quality material, plus if you have to do it almost everyday. Once in awhile I can translate 4,000 words per day, but then I cannot look at the computer for a day or two.

[Edited at 2014-05-29 10:49 GMT]

Roy Lee
Roy Lee
China
Local time: 19:42
English to Arabic
+ ...
You should set a word limit a day May 29, 2014

I have set word limits for my translation work. 3000 words minimum and 5000 words maximum.

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Russian to English
+ ...
I think you should go with the flow May 29, 2014

Don't torture yourself, or st too high standards because nothing good will come of it for anyone--the translation will be of lower quality, and your health might be endangered.

Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:42
French to English
ahem May 29, 2014

Little Woods wrote:

@ Texte Style: I have my hat off for you. Only a very skilled and knowledgeable translator can pull that off. I know one who used to try that but in the end she had to outsource 1/3 of the total volume.

I'm not saying the result was perfect! and it wasn't like the client cared in the least about quality either. And the changes from the previous version mostly involved formatting and cutting sentences in two or adding a word here or there (words like "very" which rarely involve much tweaking to add in). I wouldn't want to work like that all the time, far from it

Miguel Carmona
Miguel Carmona  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 04:42
English to Spanish
Quality is king May 29, 2014

Let quality be the main criterion.

If on one particular job, in a 60 minute period, 6 two-word terms took you 10 minutes to research and resolve each, well, during that hour your productivity was 6x2 words / 1 hr. = 12 words/hr.

That is why for technical glossaries the charge is several times higher per word (of every term) compared to regular technical translations, such as a machine manual, for instance.

For glossaries, when clients ask you for a quote
... See more
Let quality be the main criterion.

If on one particular job, in a 60 minute period, 6 two-word terms took you 10 minutes to research and resolve each, well, during that hour your productivity was 6x2 words / 1 hr. = 12 words/hr.

That is why for technical glossaries the charge is several times higher per word (of every term) compared to regular technical translations, such as a machine manual, for instance.

For glossaries, when clients ask you for a quote, never quote a rate per term. Always quote a rate per word, since most terms contain several words.

In general, the higher the concentration of technical terms contained in a text, the higher the rate that you should charge per word, among other variables, such as extra formatting tasks (Excel, PowerPoint, etc.).

Do not be mortified if at the end of one day, you realize you got only 1,000 words done, in spite of the fact that you worked all day!

Ideally, if you charged properly for the job, you will have earned the same as if you had done say, 2,000 words of regular text, for instance, or whatever amount you consider your normal output.

[Edited at 2014-05-29 17:51 GMT]
Collapse

Mariana Rodriguez
Mariana Rodriguez  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you! May 29, 2014

Thank you so much to all of you for giving your input and telling me about your experiences.

All this information will be greatly useful!

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Words per day

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »