Strana na temi:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89] >
Corona quarantine diary
Objavljivač niti: Mervyn Henderson

Matthias Brombach  Identity Verified
Nemačka
Local time: 17:59
Član (2007)
holandski na nemački
+ ...
Then better be wary ... Mar 30

Mervyn Henderson wrote:
Euskaltel is about to be absorbed by Más Móvil, the CEO of which is one Meinrad Spenger.

Notice anything there?

Yes, Meinrad's not a local boy. He's Austrian

... because this could be an attempt to gain back power on the Spanish Throne by the House of Habsburg, who possessed the Spanish Throne from 1516 until 1700. Since the retired Spanish King has left the country, this would be the ideal opportunity to conquer back the country with a straw man through the phone line. Those phone companies today are richer than the Fuggers ever have been in the glory times of the Spanish Habsburgs.

[Bearbeitet am 2021-03-30 09:35 GMT]

P.L.F.Persio
Mervyn Henderson
expressisverbis

Mervyn Henderson  Identity Verified
Španija
španski na engleski
+ ...
POKRETAČ TEME
Dynasties Mar 30

That's quite an imagination you have there, Matthias. The former king is indeed out of the country, although he's doing his best to return by graciously agreeing to pay a few million in tax as a kind of peace offering, the tax which he should really have paid in the first place, but which slipped his mind. But what does he care, anyway, because he just takes it out of some Swiss account somewhere, and he'll hardly even notice the outlay.

But his son's wielding the big stick now. And
... See more
That's quite an imagination you have there, Matthias. The former king is indeed out of the country, although he's doing his best to return by graciously agreeing to pay a few million in tax as a kind of peace offering, the tax which he should really have paid in the first place, but which slipped his mind. But what does he care, anyway, because he just takes it out of some Swiss account somewhere, and he'll hardly even notice the outlay.

But his son's wielding the big stick now. And Felipe's not too worried about an army of Fuggers marching down from Austria to lay waste to the Borbón dynasty, no. Considering the constant noise from separatists who never wanted either him or Pa as their king anyway, and how fed up both the willing and the unwilling subjects of the realm are these days with expensive royals amid economic crisis after economic crisis and now the virus, he has many, many Fuggers to worry about nearer home.

[Edited at 2021-03-30 10:23 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-03-30 10:23 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule

Milan Condak  Identity Verified
engleski na češki
Dynasty of Petr Kellner Mar 30

Mervyn Henderson wrote:

The former king is indeed out of the country,...

You know Martina Navratilová. Do you know a name Petr Kellner?

Petr Kellner, 56, the richest person in the Czech Republic, died in a helicopter crash in the Alaskan mountains, US in late Mar 2021

The crash happened at Knik Glacier, Alaska, USA for a heli-skiing trip

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFcBHCgNNvs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Petr_Kellner

Milan

Sitting at home

Španija
španski na engleski
+ ...
POKRETAČ TEME
OK Milan Mar 30

So you're back!

I don't know why your last post was taken down (or, indeed, why you posted it ...), because it seems to be more or less the same now.

Because it wasn't relevant to translation? Neither are a lot of things on here. Because it was offensive? I don't think so.

expressisverbis

Španija
španski na engleski
+ ...
POKRETAČ TEME
Guess who rang today? Mar 30

Well, she was South American, but I knew who she worked for even before I answered. I mentioned the Euskaltel absorption. She said, Oh yes, there's been a lot of speculation. Oh no, not speculation. More like confirmation on the news and on today's and yesterday's front pages.

But she went on enthusiastically to assure me that Euskaltel would continue to roll out great offers as part of a group. It already is part of another group, as far as I know, so that's a lot of grouping goin
... See more
Well, she was South American, but I knew who she worked for even before I answered. I mentioned the Euskaltel absorption. She said, Oh yes, there's been a lot of speculation. Oh no, not speculation. More like confirmation on the news and on today's and yesterday's front pages.

But she went on enthusiastically to assure me that Euskaltel would continue to roll out great offers as part of a group. It already is part of another group, as far as I know, so that's a lot of grouping going on and a lot of lost control and a lot more to come, so it'll be a largely diluted Euskaltel rolling out those great offers on behalf of Herr Spenger, and rolling out a round of job cuts, possibly. Maybe my caller's job, too. But I didn't mention that, just left it there, said the usual No, thanks, not interested, and that was that. Until the next call. It could take one month before they implement my not unreasonable request for them not to ring me again? Well, we'll see whether or not that's true at the end of April. Maybe it really will be Más Móvil phoning me instead.
Collapse

expressisverbis

Španija
španski na engleski
+ ...
POKRETAČ TEME
A mysterious death Mar 31

In a vague connection to the foregoing, imagine you're an executive who's just left your job as VP at a certain telecommunications company. The year is 2016 and you're in a certain country, because, among other corporates in the sector, you have business with a telecom setup there. You're in your house looking through some papers, and suddenly you hear a shot. You run to the room it came from, and there's a lady in her forties, a local lady, a friend of the family, lying on the floor seriously w... See more
In a vague connection to the foregoing, imagine you're an executive who's just left your job as VP at a certain telecommunications company. The year is 2016 and you're in a certain country, because, among other corporates in the sector, you have business with a telecom setup there. You're in your house looking through some papers, and suddenly you hear a shot. You run to the room it came from, and there's a lady in her forties, a local lady, a friend of the family, lying on the floor seriously wounded. She had been helping you pack up some things to be sent off somewhere or other.

You call the emergency services yourself and try to staunch the bleeding, because it's just you and her, no butler or anything, but in the end you don't have time to wait for anyone to come. So you drive the stricken friend to the hospital yourself, but she never regains consciousness and dies. Later you're arrested for murder. Your former colleagues at that teleco company, meanwhile, are quick to rally round, though, naturally, but merely to point out that you're a former VP, not a VP.

After a spell in jug your lawyer manages to prove that what happened was as follows: the lady was admiring herself in a mirror, and took your Glock out of your open safe, with the intention of taking a selfie of herself with the gun. But she managed to squeeze the trigger, whereupon a bullet shot out, richocheted off the floor, and into her. So you're acquitted. You had a licence for the gun, of course. A forged licence, but still a piece of paper.

Now, what do you think? Likely or dodgy?

[Edited at 2021-03-31 14:16 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-01 07:43 GMT]

[Edited at 2021-04-01 07:53 GMT]
Collapse

P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosna i Hercegovina
engleski na hrvatski
+ ...
Selfie with a gun? Mar 31

Selfie with a gun, in her forties. Sounds like something a 14-year old ticktocker would do. Therefore, dodgy and not likely.

Was this for real, like published in the real press? Honestly, sounded like an Agatha Christie piece.

P.L.F.Persio
Mervyn Henderson
expressisverbis

Španija
španski na engleski
+ ...
POKRETAČ TEME
Real life Mar 31

Or real death, rather. But has anybody noticed a strange little detail there? Answers on a postcard, please. The first correct answer out of the hat wins a fridge magnet with the ProZ logo and the inscription 'Strewth, I'm a ProZ sleuth'.

[Edited at 2021-03-31 14:10 GMT]

Bosna i Hercegovina
engleski na hrvatski
+ ...
I want a better prize lol Mar 31

Strange little detail, everything's strange about this story.

"took your Glock out of your open safe"

Why was the safe OPEN?

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio
expressisverbis

Španija
španski na engleski
+ ...
POKRETAČ TEME
Safe as houses Mar 31

Exactly, Biljana. No time to even organise a hat. Your fridge magnet has already been sent. Contact Henry if it doesn't arrive.

She must have been a pretty good friend to leave in a room with an open safe, and a gun in it too, while you busy yourself elsewhere with your papers. Various other scenarios occur to me, I must say.

Bosna i Hercegovina
engleski na hrvatski
+ ...
It smells fishy. Mar 31

He is not totally innocent. Is there a resolution to this case?

I'll skip the fridge magnet. lol Send me one that says "Do not eat, you just ate like 30 minutes ago", my fridge needs that magnet.

Mervyn Henderson
P.L.F.Persio

Španija
španski na engleski
+ ...
POKRETAČ TEME
Magnet Mar 31

Sorry, Biljana, only one sort available. I realise you're unimpressed, but I guarantee that when you put it on your fridge the attraction will be instantaneous.

P.L.F.Persio  Identity Verified
Holandija
Član (2010)
engleski na italijanski
+ ...
But ... Mar 31

Lingua 5B wrote:

I'll skip the fridge magnet. lol Send me one that says "Do not eat, you just ate like 30 minutes ago", my fridge needs that magnet.

... if eating every 30 minutes keeps your mind that sharp, you really should keep on munching away, esteemed colleague.

Mervyn Henderson
Lingua 5B
Beatriz Ramírez de Haro

Chris S  Identity Verified
Velika Britanija
švedski na engleski
+ ...
Sexism Mar 31

Lingua 5B wrote:

He is not totally innocent. Is there a resolution to this case?

Why the assumption it’s a man?

P.L.F.Persio
Mervyn Henderson
expressisverbis

Strana na temi:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 65 66 67 68 69 70 71 72 73 74 75 76 77 78 79 80 81 82 83 84 85 86 87 88 89] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderatori ovog foruma
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Corona quarantine diary

Advanced search

MultiTerm
One central location to store and manage multilingual terminology.

By providing access to all those involved in applying terminology (such as engineers, marketers, translators, and terminologists), our terminology management solution ensures consistent and high-quality content from source through to translation.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »