The term: akarui
Thread poster: Ryszard Matuszewski
Ryszard Matuszewski
Ryszard Matuszewski
Local time: 01:14
Spanish to Polish
+ ...
Feb 28, 2004

I posted this question twice but it seems to be rejected by the moderators. Of course, the basic meaning of akarui is obvious (in the physical sense). What I am looking for is the special usage like in the sentence "Kare wa akarui desu ne". I' m afraid this is the only context I have, that's why I'm at a loss. Actually I need the Polish equivalent but so far something like a Japanese-Polish dictionary simply doesn't exist, so I tried to check it via English. The first thing that came to my mind ... See more
I posted this question twice but it seems to be rejected by the moderators. Of course, the basic meaning of akarui is obvious (in the physical sense). What I am looking for is the special usage like in the sentence "Kare wa akarui desu ne". I' m afraid this is the only context I have, that's why I'm at a loss. Actually I need the Polish equivalent but so far something like a Japanese-Polish dictionary simply doesn't exist, so I tried to check it via English. The first thing that came to my mind was the English "bright" in the sense of "intelligent" but the dictionnaries don't confirm this. Instead they give such meanings as "honest" or "happy", which leaves me perplexed (I found it in a Japanese-Russian dictionary). Therefore I was looking for the opinion of a Japanese native speaker to express their feelings about it. I would appreciate any help.

[Edited at 2004-02-29 08:12]
Thanks a lot, everybody. Now I have a clear idea of what was meant.

[Edited at 2004-02-29 08:15]
Collapse

Himawari
Himawari  Identity Verified
Poland
English to Polish
+ ...
"Akarui " is difficult to translate but easy to live with ;) Feb 28, 2004

Hi,
if you think of an "akarui" person as someone who's character is an opposition to "glum', you will be not much off the mark.

"Akarui", IMHO, is a happy disposition, a character which is seen as pleasant by other people. Something of an optimist belongs here, too.
And in Polish it could be just "jest sympatycznym czlowiekiem" or "jest pogodny i przyjazny ludziom".

Regards,
Ela

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
Local time: 19:14
SITE FOUNDER
KudoZ is made for this type of question Feb 28, 2004

In the future, please try asking this type of question via the KudoZ form. It was made for this:

http://www.proz.com/?sp=k

By the way, nice answer Himawari-san (though I can't comment on the Polish!)

Thanks,
Henry

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
He did post it on KudoZ Feb 28, 2004

Henry wrote:

In the future, please try asking this type of question via the KudoZ form.

Henry, he started the topic saying that he already posted it as KudoZ twice (I saw at least once, and there was at least one answer provided, too - I know because I agreed to it).
He also said the Moderators rejected the question on KudoZ.
Maybe somebody squashed it accidently?
It is not there now.
Katalin

cheerful (personality, character) Feb 29, 2004

This sentence "Kare wa akarui desu" is clearly describing his personality trait. "Akarui" is an opposite of "kurai". Literally the former means "radiant", the latter "dim", but this is not a description of luminousness. It is a description of desposition. So quite literally it means "He has very shining character". The one who is shining in personality can be very cheerful person with whom it is nice to be hanging around. Then the luminousness implies, when talking about human personality, it is... See more
This sentence "Kare wa akarui desu" is clearly describing his personality trait. "Akarui" is an opposite of "kurai". Literally the former means "radiant", the latter "dim", but this is not a description of luminousness. It is a description of desposition. So quite literally it means "He has very shining character". The one who is shining in personality can be very cheerful person with whom it is nice to be hanging around. Then the luminousness implies, when talking about human personality, it is bright, it is brilliant. But in this context don't be mistaken that "He is smart". It is not. The matter is not about brain. It is about heart.Collapse

Henry Dotterer
Henry Dotterer
SITE FOUNDER
Thanks, Katalin Feb 29, 2004

Katalin wrote:

He also said the Moderators rejected the question on KudoZ.
Maybe somebody squashed it accidently?
It is not there now.

Perhaps. There should have been no problem with this question.

Thanks,
Henry

Will Matter
Will Matter  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:14
English
+ ...
it was on KudoZ twice Feb 29, 2004

It WAS posted on KudoZ twice and was squashed TWICE because, unfortunately, we have certain members who tend to react, rather than act, very reflexively, in a rather predictable *unthinking*, "knee jerk" sort of fashion and just squash, squash, squash, squash away at questions without considering, at all, things like context, exceptions, background info provided by the asker and specialized or idiomatic usage. "Oh, this *WORD* is ALREADY in the glossaries" let's ignore the askers commentary, the... See more
It WAS posted on KudoZ twice and was squashed TWICE because, unfortunately, we have certain members who tend to react, rather than act, very reflexively, in a rather predictable *unthinking*, "knee jerk" sort of fashion and just squash, squash, squash, squash away at questions without considering, at all, things like context, exceptions, background info provided by the asker and specialized or idiomatic usage. "Oh, this *WORD* is ALREADY in the glossaries" let's ignore the askers commentary, the fact that all of the glossary entries already posted DO NOT effectively answer this question (given the context) and most importantly, let's squash it, ignore the fact that the asker went to the trouble to repost it (due to not receiving adequate, much less minimal, help on the first try) and then, unthinkingly, squash it again. Why do i say it like this? Because it happens all the time, in a certain language pair, by a certain member and is, effectively, tantamount to site abuse, IMHO. I finally answered this question (to the askers perfect satisfaction) through private email. Don't blame the moderators, think about other factors.Collapse

Linda Hata
Linda Hata  Identity Verified
United States
Japanese to English
Akarui hito = a cheerful person or positive person (depends) Feb 29, 2004

Ryszard Matuszewski wrote:

I posted this question twice but it seems to be rejected by the moderators. Of course, the basic meaning of akarui is obvious (in the physical sense). What I am looking for is the special usage like in the sentence "Kare wa akarui desu ne". I' m afraid this is the only context I have, that's why I'm at a loss. Actually I need the Polish equivalent but so far something like a Japanese-Polish dictionary simply doesn't exist, so I tried to check it via English. The first thing that came to my mind was the English "bright" in the sense of "intelligent" but the dictionnaries don't confirm this. Instead they give such meanings as "honest" or "happy", which leaves me perplexed (I found it in a Japanese-Russian dictionary). Therefore I was looking for the opinion of a Japanese native speaker to express their feelings about it. I would appreciate any help.

[Edited at 2004-02-29 08:12]
Thanks a lot, everybody. Now I have a clear idea of what was meant.

[Edited at 2004-02-29 08:15]

Katalin Horváth McClure
Katalin Horváth McClure  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
It was really squashed Mar 1, 2004

willmatter wrote:

It WAS posted on KudoZ twice and was squashed TWICE ...(snip)

I went to my Trash folder and searched for the original KudoZ notification about this question.
It was squashed, indeed, and the "reason" was "Already in the KudoZ Glossaries"
And yes, it was not squashed by a Moderator.
Anybody can see it here:
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/650028

Katalin

[Edited at 2004-03-01 03:10]

Will Matter
United States
English
+ ...
squash, snip etc. Mar 1, 2004

And, regardless of the remainder after the snip, it's A SHAME that the squashing took place because the glossary entries didn't even come close to answering the question and pointless squashing accomplishes nothing. We're supposed to HELP the asker and i'll quit while i'm ahead....

Magda Dziadosz
Magda Dziadosz  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2004)
English to Polish
+ ...
I unsquashed it Mar 1, 2004

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote:

Anybody can see it here:
http://www.proz.com/kudoz/650028

The question is unsquashed again (there was no good reason for squashing it...), please go and provide answers (agrees).

In the future, in case of doubts about squashing, please contact the moderators.

Magda

Will Matter
United States
English
+ ...
good job! Mar 1, 2004

Dzienkuje bardzo, Magda!

Louise Vaux
Louise Vaux  Identity Verified
Japanese to English
I did not squash your question about 'Akarui' Mar 1, 2004

Don't know where all this confusion has arisen from but just to add my input - I actually personally answered your Kudoz question on 'Akarui' when it first came in - but downgraded it from a 'Pro' to an 'Easy' -as I felt this was justified.
Although I've had email's informing me of peer grading I've yet to hear whether or not the asker has graded my answer??
As for Daisuke's squashing - I've no idea where that came from & had no part in it.
Louise Vaux
Jap-Eng Moderator

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The term: akarui

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »