Yuriko Daikoku
Yuriko Daikoku  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:40
English to Japanese
+ ...
Don't worry! Mar 1, 2004

Louise Vaux wrote:

Don't know where all this confusion has arisen from but just to add my input - I actually personally answered your Kudoz question on 'Akarui' when it first came in - but downgraded it from a 'Pro' to an 'Easy' -as I felt this was justified.
Although I've had email's informing me of peer grading I've yet to hear whether or not the asker has graded my answer??
As for Daisuke's squashing - I've no idea where that came from & had no part in it.
Louise Vaux
Jap-Eng Moderator

We know who did it.

Is the recovered one from the second or the first posting? As Luise pointed out. I remember seeing more suggestions and peer comments.

[Edited at 2004-03-01 15:38]

kokuritsu
kokuritsu  Identity Verified
Member (2005)
English to Japanese
+ ...
Fair and square! Mar 3, 2004

[/quote]

The question is unsquashed again (there was no good reason for squashing it...), please go and provide answers (agrees).

In the future, in case of doubts about squashing, please contact the moderators.

Magda[/quote]

Your decision is fair and square.
And I expect that our squashing-hound(s),
as Yuriko says “We know who did it,” might have a say in this dispute, if not in a “unthinking, knee-jerking sort of fashion,”
... See more
[/quote]

The question is unsquashed again (there was no good reason for squashing it...), please go and provide answers (agrees).

In the future, in case of doubts about squashing, please contact the moderators.

Magda[/quote]

as Yuriko says “We know who did it,” might have a say in this dispute, if not in a “unthinking, knee-jerking sort of fashion,”(Thanks for those words, willmatter.)
Collapse

Yuriko Daikoku
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
Just a suggestion Mar 3, 2004

Magda[/quote]

as Yuriko says “We know who did it,” might have a say in this dispute, if not in a “unthinking, knee-jerking sort of fashion,”(Thanks for those words, willmatter.)
[/quote]

Yes, indeed.

It may sound too idealistic, but it is just my opinion. Even if the word is already in KudoZ blossary, it is kind to give suggestionan and advise the asker t
... See more
Magda[/quote]

[/quote]

Yes, indeed.

It may sound too idealistic, but it is just my opinion. Even if the word is already in KudoZ blossary, it is kind to give suggestionan and advise the asker that the term is already in KudoZ glossary and refer to it, before squashing it. Then leave the asker to decide to withdraw the question or not. You never know. We may be able to find better explanation than the definition already entered the Glossary.
Collapse

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
definitely need more consideration into individuality of each question Mar 5, 2004

willmatter wrote:

It WAS posted on KudoZ twice and was squashed TWICE because, unfortunately, we have certain members who tend to react, rather than act, very reflexively, in a rather predictable *unthinking*, "knee jerk" sort of fashion and just squash, squash, squash, squash away at questions without considering, at all, things like context, exceptions, background info provided by the asker and specialized or idiomatic usage. "Oh, this *WORD* is ALREADY in the glossaries" let's ignore the askers commentary, the fact that all of the glossary entries already posted DO NOT effectively answer this question (given the context) and most importantly, let's squash it, ignore the fact that the asker went to the trouble to repost it (due to not receiving adequate, much less minimal, help on the first try) and then, unthinkingly, squash it again. Why do i say it like this? Because it happens all the time, in a certain language pair, by a certain member and is, effectively, tantamount to site abuse, IMHO. I finally answered this question (to the askers perfect satisfaction) through private email. Don't blame the moderators, think about other factors.

I agree 100% with willmatter about this blunt manner of squashing questions just because they were already asked once and in the KudoZ database. Recently I was very much disappointed to find that two simple-term questions were suddenly squashed, for which I was posing specific answers and I found other members' unique answers as well. My question was "who did this all? the language pair moderator or some other language moderator? if not, it's a site moderator?". It was just a discouragement I experienced and thought I have a fair reason to make a comment about it.

After all, for whose use and what purpose exists KudoZ? It could be a great help opportunity for our decision of difficult terms & phrases (help fucntion among traslators), while it could also be our linguistic enjoyment to make something spread into the world out of our knowledge, experiecnes and reseaches on linguistic expressions (entertaiment function for everybody).)

Yuriko Daikoku
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
Very much so! Mar 5, 2004

Minoru Kuwahara wrote:
After all, for whose use and what purpose exists KudoZ? It could be a great help opportunity for our decision of difficult terms & phrases (help fucntion among traslators), while it could also be our linguistic enjoyment to make something spread into the world out of our knowledge, experiecnes and reseaches on linguistic expressions (entertaiment function for everybody).)

You've just made a good point. It should be a place we learn from reseach on other people's problem. The importance is in the process of finding the right term by exchanging information and opinions with fair and neutral attitude, for both askers' and answeres' benefit. Squashing every term by just one look will lead us to nowhere.

I think it should be re-designed so that only moderators can make questions invisible "based on fair judgement".

Minoru Kuwahara
Minoru Kuwahara
Japan
English to Japanese
+ ...
thank you for your supporting view. Mar 7, 2004

Yuriko Daikoku wrote:

Minoru Kuwahara wrote:

You've just made a good point. It should be a place we learn from reseach on other people's problem. The importance is in the process of finding the right term by exchanging information and opinions with fair and neutral attitude, for both askers' and answeres' benefit. Squashing every term by just one look will lead us to nowhere.

I think it should be re-designed so that only moderators can make questions invisible "based on fair judgement".

Thank you very much for your supoprting view. I definitely believe everyone seeks for better translations through exchanging information and different ideas which often lead to better quality itself of your translation than that you might have initially had in mind. Nothing losing, just rewarding for your translating experience. And for that, everyone may need to bear in mind that the bottomline is always respect for KudoZ system, members and importantly languages.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Takeshi MIYAHARA[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

The term: akarui

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »