Thread poster: Quentin NEVEN
Kay Denney
Kay Denney  Identity Verified
France
Local time: 13:37
French to English
. Jan 25

Tom in London wrote:

Yes- I'm scared to read back through my old translations. I always find something.

Me too, but then I try to reason with myself that this means I'm improving.
Imperfection leaves room for improvement.
Just think how insufferable a perfect translator would be!!

P.L.F. Persio
Tom in London
Christopher Schröder
patransword
Gerard Barry
IrinaN

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Ears burning Jan 25

Kay Denney wrote:
Just think how insufferable a perfect translator would be!!

You called?

Baran Keki
P.L.F. Persio
Peter Shortall
Chris Spurgin
Becca Resnik
Kay Denney

patransword
patransword
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Kaboom Jan 25

This post certainly boomed since the last time I looked...

Just a comment about translating into English - I have met some non-natives who could translate into English, but the amount of research they had to do and time taken - I don't know if it really makes sense. At least in my experience, people who have studied languages often have a bee in their bonnet about how they sound, how natively their texts read, blah blah blah. I used to be the same and was very hard on myself when I
... See more
This post certainly boomed since the last time I looked...

Just a comment about translating into English - I have met some non-natives who could translate into English, but the amount of research they had to do and time taken - I don't know if it really makes sense. At least in my experience, people who have studied languages often have a bee in their bonnet about how they sound, how natively their texts read, blah blah blah. I used to be the same and was very hard on myself when I made a mistake, now not so much.

I remember one contact, a native German speaker, who was adamant on translating her own text into English. A blah blah text about an artist's work. I was looking at the sweat pour from her brow and, sorry to say, I rather enjoyed it. Rather determined not to ask me for help. She ended up with a good translation and was happy. However, it would have taken me a couple of hours tops, in comparison to her week or so. Her time could have been spent better on other things.
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Kay Denney

Quentin NEVEN
Quentin NEVEN  Identity Verified
Belgium
Member (Jan 2024)
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
The land of confusion Jan 25

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your input.

It really strikes me how opinions diverge on this particular topic.

Some people recommend to do one thing, others suggest doing the exact opposite.

Many people believe there is no future for this industry, some point out that it's actually growing.

I guess we all have different experiences, and we tackled this our own way based on what we knew at the time.

As for me, I decided
... See more
Hi everybody,

Thanks for your input.

Many people believe there is no future for this industry, some point out that it's actually growing.

I guess we all have different experiences, and we tackled this our own way based on what we knew at the time.

As for me, I decided to go all in.

- I plan on being as active as possible with the community of translators through forums, Linkedin and the like.
- I will learn the basics of marketing to know how to build my brand and attract the right clients.
- I will devote 10h/ day building my business and keep the weekends for myself (my previous plan was 6h everyday, including weekends).
- I will reduce my personal costs as much as possible because I haven't earned anything so far and I want to last as long as possible, financially speaking.
- I will increase my visibility on the web through a channel about worldbuilding (my tabletop RPG campaign) and a series of articles about the current state of the industry, trends in videogames and audiovisual content, etc.

I am aware that going all in is not a guarantee it will work, but at least, knowing I gave it my best shot will be a victory in itself.

Best of luck to you!
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Becca Resnik
Korana Lasić
Rachel Waddington
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
MassimoA

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Different opinions Jan 25

Different opinions are due to us being very diversified: different pairs, locations, specialties, backgrounds, skills and personalities.

Another one: take free advice on the forum with a grain of salt. Professional consulting costs $500/hr.

[Edited at 2024-01-25 13:10 GMT]

Lieven Malaise
Christopher Schröder
Dan Lucas
P.L.F. Persio
Becca Resnik
Kay Denney
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Value Jan 25

Lingua 5B wrote:
Another one: take free advice on the forum with a grain of salt. Professional consulting costs $500/hr.

I reckon Keki & Associates could beat that price.

That said, the info you get here, even if conflicting, will be more useful than anything any consultant could offer.

P.L.F. Persio
Becca Resnik
IrinaN
Kay Denney
Rachel Waddington
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Can have some value Jan 25

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

I reckon Keki & Associates could beat that price.

That said, the info you get here, even if conflicting, will be more useful than anything any consultant could offer.

Can have some value, but info needs to be interpreted and synthetized adequately. Obviously, the OP is confused and doesn’t know how to do it (may be due to inexperience, don’t know). That’s where the consultant comes in (providing they are good). My price is not exaggarted, in serious niches. Don’t know about translation.

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Yes Jan 25

Giving adivce in these forums is definitely more fun than getting advice, that's for sure. There is no single truth in approaching freelance translation and I think that's more of a good than a bad thing. Remember an awful lot of translators started without consulting Proz, and yet somehow they managed to find their way. All is relative and using common sense is probably more useful than all Proz advice combined.

Lingua 5B
Christopher Schröder
P.L.F. Persio
Becca Resnik
Rachel Waddington

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
In my pair Jan 25

Some of the advice given here, and even some routinely given advice would be highly wrong, dangerous and misleading (wasting people’s time or money) in my language pair.

But they may work for other pairs. Impossible for me to know.

Becca Resnik
Rachel Waddington

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Such as? Jan 25

Lingua 5B wrote:
Some of the advice given here, and even some routinely given advice would be highly wrong, dangerous and misleading (wasting people’s time or money) in my language pair.

Are you going to leave us hanging?

Chris Spurgin
Jorge Payan
P.L.F. Persio

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Nope Jan 25

Christopher Schröder wrote:

Lingua 5B wrote:

Are you going to leave us hanging?

Nope, I am not going to name names or quote advice.

Christopher Schröder

P.L.F. Persio
P.L.F. Persio  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2010)
English to Italian
+ ...
That's the spirit! Jan 25

Quentin NEVEN wrote:

And best of luck to you too, Quentin!

Becca Resnik
Christopher Schröder
patransword
Quentin NEVEN

Edward Potter
Edward Potter  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I can just feel it Jan 26

Godwin's Law will take effect soon.

Just joking. There is actually a lot of good discussion on this thread. Pat on the back to everyone.

Christopher Schröder
Rachel Waddington

Rachel Waddington
Rachel Waddington  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:37
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 26

Quentin NEVEN wrote:

Hi everybody,

Thanks for your input.

- I plan on being as active as possible with the community of translators through forums, Linkedin and the like.
- I will learn the basics of marketing to know how to build my brand and attract the right clients.
- I will devote 10h/ day building my business and keep the weekends for myself (my previous plan was 6h everyday, including weekends).
- I will reduce my personal costs as much as possible because I haven't earned anything so far and I want to last as long as possible, financially speaking.
- I will increase my visibility on the web through a channel about worldbuilding (my tabletop RPG campaign) and a series of articles about the current state of the industry, trends in videogames and audiovisual content, etc.

I am aware that going all in is not a guarantee it will work, but at least, knowing I gave it my best shot will be a victory in itself.

Best of luck to you!

That sounds like an excellent plan.

Yes, you will get a wide range of opinions on here, some of them exact opposites of each other. None of us knows the 'truth', we only know our tiny corner of the translation world plus what we have picked up from conversations with other translators (online and offline). I started translating in 1998 - what do I really know about what it's like to get started now? But I still think it's worth listening to what people have to say and tapping into that diversity of opinions.

Good luck, and keep us posted on how you get on!

Christopher Schröder
Lieven Malaise
P.L.F. Persio
Quentin NEVEN
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
MassimoA

patransword
patransword
Germany
German to English
+ ...
Sorry, but just for a laugh... Jan 26

Quentin NEVEN wrote:

The land of confusion

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/U7X7cEh5au8

Apart from that, I really do wish you all the best. I suspect that if you have the will and determination, you'll be able to find clients.

Ah yes, at the start (talking nearly 20 years ago, eeek), I worked as a PM and translated on the side. Gave the PMing up within a year as I found it to be brain numbing, but continued with the translation.

Would I recommend someone just out of university to be a translator? I'd say go for it, but keep your options open and don't be too surprised if you have to juggle careers. I also work as a "contemporary jeweller" (in fact my main "passion") and sell some pieces now and again, have also done some teaching.

[Edited at 2024-01-27 09:46 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5 6] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Being competitive without experience

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »