Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
What is a good CAT Tool for a novel freelance translator in the field literary translation?
Thread poster: Moises Aldana
Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 14:53
English to Russian
Not exactly Jan 10

Christopher Schröder wrote:
But by definition, consistency requires repetition. CAT tools can only help if text is in the TM, i.e. repeated, and that is far more likely in technical texts.
In terms of CAT tools, repetitions are whole segments. Consistency may also apply to individual terms rather than segments. You don't necessarily need a whole repeated sentence or technical context but you may have just same terms scattered through the text. A CAT tool helps you quickly retrieve translations for specific terms and make sure you use them for every instance of the term.

Jorge Payan
Hung Mai

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Aha Jan 10

Stepan Konev wrote:
A CAT tool helps you quickly retrieve translations for specific terms and make sure you use them for every instance of the term.

Oh I see, you mean like a termbase/glossary. Tbh I don't even do that in my CAT tools - I rely on my human memory.
I think in this case I would just jot a few terms down on a piece of paper (or make a glossary in Excel if I wanted to be all 21st century) and skip the grief of dealing with segmentation and tags and all the other crap that goes with CAT tools. But each to his own!

Stepan Konev
Zea_Mays

Milan Condak
Milan Condak  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:53
English to Czech
OmetaT and local TM Jan 11

Moises Aldana wrote:
as I needed to upload a TM I really don't have for the translation.

"upload" is a term for working with online CATs; you don't have to translate online;

CAT create a TM; CAT creates a TM during your translation - it stores the original sentences (segments) and their translation in a bilingual file. You can use the TM created from the original text and its machine translation as auxiliary data (TM). If you want, I can create such a TM for you. Put the original file somewhere to download, or send it to me as an email attachment. You can find the contact details at www.condak.cz

Milan

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What is a good CAT Tool for a novel freelance translator in the field literary translation?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »