Peter Motte
Peter Motte  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 07:47
Member (2009)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Jun 6, 2023

A problem: one of my clients didn't want me to mention the end client in my cv.
I understand that partly, because the in-between usually provides extra checks and so on, but it does pose a problem: how to inform potential clients about the work you do?

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 06:47
Danish to English
+ ...
Confidentiality Jun 6, 2023

You can absolutely not make your clients' confidential information public and that includes information about their end clients – unless you have a written permission. You are not an employee of or supplier to these end clients, and you are not an employee of your own clients.

You should market your services based on your own qualities, not those of your clients or their clients. You need to keep descriptions generic. The exception here in Proz is that you can request WWA from cli
... See more
You can absolutely not make your clients' confidential information public and that includes information about their end clients – unless you have a written permission. You are not an employee of or supplier to these end clients, and you are not an employee of your own clients.

You should market your services based on your own qualities, not those of your clients or their clients. You need to keep descriptions generic. The exception here in Proz is that you can request WWA from clients and then refer to that.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
ahartje
Lingua 5B
Michele Fauble
Philip Lees

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
@Peter Jun 6, 2023

The only end-clients I mention in my CV are those who are my direct clients, all the others are clients of the agencies I have been working with, not mine…

Dr. Tilmann Kleinau
Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Lingua 5B
Philip Lees
Christopher Schröder
Laurent Di Raimondo

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:47
German to English
End clients have products Jun 6, 2023

You can provide hints as to the types of translations you've done:
Braking system for high-end Italian sports car
Budget projections for Fortune 100 chemical conglomerate
Oncological clinical trials sponsored by leading Swiss pharmaceutical company

Your friends might be impressed by your prestigious end-clients, but no one else.
Basically, prospective clients don't care about your end clients; they want to know whether you take on projects related to e.g., au
... See more
You can provide hints as to the types of translations you've done:
Braking system for high-end Italian sports car
Budget projections for Fortune 100 chemical conglomerate
Oncological clinical trials sponsored by leading Swiss pharmaceutical company

Your friends might be impressed by your prestigious end-clients, but no one else.
Basically, prospective clients don't care about your end clients; they want to know whether you take on projects related to e.g., automotive braking systems, financial transactions or pharmaceutical/medical-related material.
Collapse

Lieven Malaise
Thomas Pfann
expressisverbis
Dan Lucas
Philip Lees
Joe France

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Top five brands Jun 6, 2023

You may use phrasing such as: provided localized copies for some of the biggest brands in X industry. Or top five or something (if applicable).

Surprisingly, agencies usually grant this: you ask them what part of translations you can show as samples, sometimes even your published copies will be granted/approved. So if you show published ones, the client will be visible there. Safest way is to consult the agency.

expressisverbis

Peter Dahm Robertson
Peter Dahm Robertson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2022)
German to English
+ ...
Communication is key Jun 7, 2023

If you cultivate a good working relationship with direct clients, my experience is that some (but not all) are happy to be listed on CVs and/or websites. After all, it’s free publicity for them. BUT: you have to ask first, and you have to be clear about what kind of information will be listed and where.

For new direct clients, my procedure is something like this:
- Complete first job; do follow-up marketing/contact if regular cooperation seems like it would be positiv
... See more
If you cultivate a good working relationship with direct clients, my experience is that some (but not all) are happy to be listed on CVs and/or websites. After all, it’s free publicity for them. BUT: you have to ask first, and you have to be clear about what kind of information will be listed and where.

For new direct clients, my procedure is something like this:
- Complete first job; do follow-up marketing/contact if regular cooperation seems like it would be positive for both sides.
- After several successful (i.e.: problem-free or especially well-received) projects, ask the project manager whether the company is open to being listed on my CV/website. (About half say yes to this. Usually I don’t ask about ProZ.)
- After at least a year’s successful projects, I consider asking for a reference/testimonial. (This is where most people say no, because it involves some work on their part. To reduce this, if a person has sent a particularly glowing response to a translation, I ask whether I can quote that response as a testimonial without giving details of the project.)

I assume others around here follow a similar procedure, but would be interested to hear if that’s true!

[Edited at 2023-06-07 06:17 GMT]
Collapse

expressisverbis

Peter Dahm Robertson
Peter Dahm Robertson  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2022)
German to English
+ ...
Respectfully disagree Jun 7, 2023

Kevin Fulton wrote:

Basically, prospective clients don't care about your end clients; they want to know whether you take on projects related to e.g., automotive braking systems, financial transactions or pharmaceutical/medical-related material.

In my experience, the prestige of the end client is often seen – rightly or wrongly – as requiring quality in the translation. By extension, the translator is considered to be especially good. Of course, even prestigious companies often have complete dross in their documents, so I personally don’t think client prestige is a reasonable marker of translator skill. But I know that people in the industry use this line of reasoning, so I wouldn’t dismiss it as a marketing tactic.

Christopher Schröder
texjax DDS PhD
IrinaN
expressisverbis

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
On the other hand… Jun 7, 2023

If I wanted work from Central Bank A, what better way to demonstrate my awesomeness than saying I’ve worked with Central Bank B?

As for work through agencies, no you haven’t worked with the end-client as such but you have actually done the work, and there is nothing wrong with saying you’ve done it unless you’ve agreed otherwise, and even then the embargo of two years or whatever passes surprisingly quickly.

Saying I’ve worked on braking systems for a Fortune
... See more
If I wanted work from Central Bank A, what better way to demonstrate my awesomeness than saying I’ve worked with Central Bank B?

As for work through agencies, no you haven’t worked with the end-client as such but you have actually done the work, and there is nothing wrong with saying you’ve done it unless you’ve agreed otherwise, and even then the embargo of two years or whatever passes surprisingly quickly.

Saying I’ve worked on braking systems for a Fortune 100 company is so vague and could just be made up, so it seems almost pointless.

All that said, clients normally just come to me and ask me if I can do something. They don’t ask about my credentials. They just assume I’m competent.
Collapse

IrinaN
expressisverbis

Wojciech Sztukowski
Wojciech Sztukowski  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2009)
English to Polish
Things like "Marketing materials for the most famous Swedish/Chinese car manufacturer" Jun 9, 2023

should solve the problem.

Thomas T. Frost
expressisverbis
Tom in London

Thomas T. Frost
Thomas T. Frost  Identity Verified
Portugal
Danish to English
+ ...
The art of convincing Jun 9, 2023

Ice Scream wrote:

I guess it's a bit different with public entities, as they belong to us all.

Saying I’ve worked on braking systems for a Fortune 100 company is so vague and could just be made up, so it seems almost pointless.

You'd be a 'Fortune-teller'😁

Pun apart, anything we write in our profiles could be made up, with or without client names. A profile is not a courtroom providing us with the opportunity to present exhibit A, B, etc. We can display logos and company names galore, but that doesn't prove we've ever delivered as much as a space to them (even if we happened to work with a space agency).

What’s more important is that displaying such company names does not do away with the need to convince the reader that we can deliver what we say we can deliver. I get the courtroom mentality urge to display them: 'Here, my honoured readers and prospective clients, is the irrefutable proof that I, and only I, the abilities of any and all other translators notwithstanding, am the translator to satisfy all your dreams.'

Except that it isn't anything of the sort.

If we do want to hint at world-famous companies for whom we toil away, then shouldn't it be in the power of a translator, who must by the very nature of their profession possess the skill of writing well, to make your reader surmise which company you are referring to, but without saying it, as Wojciech Sztukowski just suggested?

It doesn’t take much skill to display a page full of logos, but does it convince anyone? I myself tend to find it a bit cheesy – a bit in-your-face. A more subtle approach may well give better results.

Christopher Schröder
expressisverbis
Michele Fauble
Peter Dahm Robertson

Josep Vives (X)
Josep Vives (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Hmmm wait, what? Jun 12, 2023

Stating in your CV or anywhere else that "I am an active translator for Ferrari" is in no case a breach of confidentiality. Whoever told you that lied to your face.

If you, however, reveal contents about the brands/files you translate on social media, to your mom, in a bar to the waiter -that is a breach of confidentiality and it is unethical, besides putting yourself in an awkward legal position. You gotta protect to the extent applicable your client's business, and not just by tra
... See more
Stating in your CV or anywhere else that "I am an active translator for Ferrari" is in no case a breach of confidentiality. Whoever told you that lied to your face.

If you, however, reveal contents about the brands/files you translate on social media, to your mom, in a bar to the waiter -that is a breach of confidentiality and it is unethical, besides putting yourself in an awkward legal position. You gotta protect to the extent applicable your client's business, and not just by translating right.

In case of doubt, read your NDAs. I have never read one where a clause saying "thou shall not mention your final clients" exists.
Collapse

IrinaN

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Telling about your jobs

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »