Thread poster: Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:15
German to English
+ ...
Sep 29, 2022

I quite often use the "Extract comments for translation" function when I'm translating Word documents, as it's a useful way of passing on information to customers. However, I can't seem to get Studio to put my full name in the comment. As far as I can see, my user name is set up in Studio (under Setup/Users) as "Last name, First name", but when the target file is generated, the user name in the comment is only "Last name" (and lower case!).

This is particularly irritating when I add
... See more
I quite often use the "Extract comments for translation" function when I'm translating Word documents, as it's a useful way of passing on information to customers. However, I can't seem to get Studio to put my full name in the comment. As far as I can see, my user name is set up in Studio (under Setup/Users) as "Last name, First name", but when the target file is generated, the user name in the comment is only "Last name" (and lower case!).

This is particularly irritating when I add further comments later in Word and they are displayed with the correct name.

I've looked in various places but I can't for the life of me find where to change this!

I'm not too bothered about the different colours, but I'd at least like the name to be consistent as I am working in an organization together with my end customers, who then send their comments back.

Does anyone know where the option to change this is hidden?
Collapse

Lingua 5B
Lingua 5B  Identity Verified
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Could it be your PC user name? Sep 29, 2022

What's your desktop user name? I have found Trados sometimes picks my desktop code and user name in translation memories. Could it have something to do with it? If this is the case, you need to change it on your PC user name settings, not in Trados.

[Edited at 2022-09-29 14:40 GMT]

Nick Quaintmere
Nick Quaintmere  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
If that's the case... Sep 29, 2022

...I'm screwed. But it might be that. You seem to be right about Studio picking up the computer user name for TMs.

I have tried changing that internally (in Studio), but it seems to make no difference to the comment function. Maybe it will have an effect in a new TM, but that's not what I'm looking for.

My Windows user name was indeed in the sect
... See more
...I'm screwed. But it might be that. You seem to be right about Studio picking up the computer user name for TMs.

I have tried changing that internally (in Studio), but it seems to make no difference to the comment function. Maybe it will have an effect in a new TM, but that's not what I'm looking for.

My Windows user name was indeed in the section "TM User ID". But as you see here, I have changed that to my actual name and it makes no difference.

Unfortunately, I have no influence on the Windows user name as that is controlled by our IT Dept.
Collapse

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:15
English to Russian
VBA Sep 29, 2022

I don't think you can change it somehow with Trados because Trados uses your Windows user name, but you can change all instances of your name in comments by running a VBA code.
Once you have exported your translation into a docx file as is, open it and press Ctrl+A to select all, then press Alt+F11 to invoke a VBA window. Then click Insert - Module to open a new module window, then copy the below code (you can also find it here) and paste it into the blank module. Then press F5 to run the script. That way you would be able to replace the user name in all comments with a name of your choice.
Then, when you save your file, MS Word may ask you if you want to save it without macros. Choose Yes to save it as a regular file.

Sub ChangeCommentAuthor()
'Updated
Dim I As Long
Dim xNewName As String
Dim xShortName As String
If Selection.Comments.Count = 0 Then
MsgBox "No comments in your selection!", vbInformation, "KuTools for Word"
Exit Sub
End If
xNewName = InputBox("New author name?", "KuTools for Word")
xShortName = InputBox("New author initials?", "KuTools for Word")
If xNewName = "" Or xShortName = "" Then
MsgBox "The author name/initials can’t be empty.", vbInformation, "Kutools for Word"
Exit Sub
End If
With Selection
For I = 1 To .Comments.Count
.Comments(I).Author = xNewName
.Comments(I).Initial = xShortName
Next I
End With
End Sub

[Edited at 2022-09-29 18:32 GMT]
Collapse

Nick Quaintmere

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
What you mean you can’t change your Windows user name? Sep 29, 2022

It’s pretty simple. Just go to Windows>Users>Edit, or create a new account name.

I hope I am not missing something. Is the Windows user name not editable?

Lingua 5B
Bosnia and Herzegovina
Member (2009)
English to Croatian
+ ...
Here. Sep 29, 2022

Check here: https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/insider/forum/all/change-local-user-account-name-in-windows-10/724d1a67-104c-49b4-bbaa-78135b317419

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 19:15
English to Russian
New user name Sep 29, 2022

Lingua 5B wrote:
Is the Windows user name not editable?
You can't simply rename it. You have to create a new one and then carefully transfer your data from one location to another. Also, if you use a space character in your user name, that may cause problems with some software. Not to mention comma.
There was an idea suggested over 5 years ago but even though many users voted for it, it was never implemented.

Lingua 5B

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

User name in comments

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »