Csaba Ban
Csaba Ban  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 20:09
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
Nov 7, 2006

I have 13 pieces of zip files, 10 MB each. I am supposed to assemble them into a single large file, but WinZip sends me the following message:

"Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive. If you downloaded this file, try downloading the file again"

WinZip support suggest I download the files again as they may be corrupted. Microsoft suggest I change a setting in the Administative Tools, IIS Manager, but I cannot find this in my XP.

Any idea
... See more
I have 13 pieces of zip files, 10 MB each. I am supposed to assemble them into a single large file, but WinZip sends me the following message:

"Cannot open file: it does not appear to be a valid archive. If you downloaded this file, try downloading the file again"

WinZip support suggest I download the files again as they may be corrupted. Microsoft suggest I change a setting in the Administative Tools, IIS Manager, but I cannot find this in my XP.

Any ideas how to solve this problem? The client is 6 time zones away, and now I will also go to bed (3:30 am!)

thanks,
Csaba
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 21:09
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
You could unpack them first Nov 7, 2006

Unpack them to each's folder and then put the folders to a common archive. At least using XP's packing function that will create an archive with the folder structure.
Regards
Heinrich

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some advice... Nov 7, 2006

Csaba Ban wrote:
I have 13 pieces of zip files, 10 MB each. I am supposed to assemble them into a single large file...

If these files have been zipped with the standard ZIP compression format, and split into multiple volumes, then you probably need the main zip file and the secondary zip files all in the same directory to unzip it. You rightclick the main zip file and select "unzip". This will only work if all the secondary zip files are present.

If the zip files contain a single, large file, and you're missing one of the secondary zip files, then your luck is out, but if the zip files contain a number of smaller files, you should be able to extract the files that are "complete" (although WinZip is a notoriously user-unfriendly program and may not allow you to do that, even though it is possible, using other zip programs).

Some zip formats allow "solid" compression, which does not allow you to extract individual files from the secondary (or even the primary) zip file.

Don't unpack the 13 files first... unless you're desperate and you know that you're going to lose some files in the process.

[Edited at 2006-11-07 07:00]

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Still no solution Nov 7, 2006

Thank you for your ideas, but these don't solve my problem.
As I understand from WinZip Help, I need to unzip the last file first, as this one includes unzipping information for the rest of the files.

But the problem is that I cannot unzip ANY of the files, including the last one. This is when I receive the message I mentioned in my first post.

I suspect that I do not actually have all the necessary files, I mean I do not have the last one. It's a bit suspicious t
... See more
Thank you for your ideas, but these don't solve my problem.
As I understand from WinZip Help, I need to unzip the last file first, as this one includes unzipping information for the rest of the files.

But the problem is that I cannot unzip ANY of the files, including the last one. This is when I receive the message I mentioned in my first post.

I suspect that I do not actually have all the necessary files, I mean I do not have the last one. It's a bit suspicious that all 13 files are exactly the same size. It would seem logical to me that the last one is smaller than the others. (If you take a random 6-digit number, chances are that it will not be divisible by 10,000).

I also have to deal with some time constraint as the client will be in his office around 3 pm European time (as he is based in the U.S. East Coast), and I will have to leave two hours later (catching a flight to London then on to Edinburgh for the conference).

And there is quite a bit of things to do with the unzipped file, so this is only the first hurdle in a long series...
Collapse

Jerzy Czopik
Jerzy Czopik  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Did you try WinRAR? Nov 7, 2006

This program is much better than WinZip and covers more formats.
Are you also sure, that those files are PC-Zip and not Mac-ZIP by accident? In the last case the platform change might be the reason.

OTOH - I do not know any ZIP program, allowing you to split an archive to exactly 10 MB each... Or am I wrong? I´ve never tried that. In fact I dropped using of WinZip because its ability to split large files was far beyond that, what I expected and needed some time ago. WinRAR wa
... See more
This program is much better than WinZip and covers more formats.
Are you also sure, that those files are PC-Zip and not Mac-ZIP by accident? In the last case the platform change might be the reason.

OTOH - I do not know any ZIP program, allowing you to split an archive to exactly 10 MB each... Or am I wrong? I´ve never tried that. In fact I dropped using of WinZip because its ability to split large files was far beyond that, what I expected and needed some time ago. WinRAR was better, as the archives created with WinRAR arrived at their destination without beeing damaged, while the Zip files were damaged - this was some 4 or 5 years ago and I were sending large files to Poland. Times have changed now and we have no such problems anymore.

Regards
Jerzy
Collapse

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Missing file Nov 7, 2006

Csaba Ban wrote:

I suspect that I do not actually have all the necessary files, I mean I do not have the last one. It's a bit suspicious that all 13 files are exactly the same size.

I'm afraid this is the problem and you will have to wait for the last file.

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
On multivolume zip files Nov 7, 2006

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
OTOH - I do not know any ZIP program, allowing you to split an archive to exactly 10 MB each... Or am I wrong?

Both WinRAR and 7-zip can do this. You can specify the exact size of the zip files. The last zip file will be smaller than the rest.

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
I have WinRAR, but... Nov 7, 2006

Samuel Murray wrote:

Jerzy Czopik wrote:
OTOH - I do not know any ZIP program, allowing you to split an archive to exactly 10 MB each... Or am I wrong?

Both WinRAR and 7-zip can do this. You can specify the exact size of the zip files. The last zip file will be smaller than the rest.

I can only select:
- 1,44 MB (3,5" disk)
- 96 MB (ZIP100 disk)
- 650 MB
- 700 MB
- automatic

But where do I specify the size manually? Thank you.

Regards
Jerzy

Csaba Ban
Hungary
Member (2002)
English to Hungarian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
WinRar message Nov 7, 2006

Now I downloaded WinRAR and tried to unzip (unrar?) the files, but I received an error message "The archive is in unknown format or is damaged".

OK then, I cannot do anything else but wait for the working hours to begin in Florida...

I suspect the last file in the series is still missing.

Csaba

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
WinRAR Nov 7, 2006

Sorry for being off-topic...

Jerzy Czopik wrote:

But where do I specify the size manually?

You can type the desired volume size directly into the combo box (see Help).

Jerzy Czopik
Germany
Member (2003)
Polish to German
+ ...
Thank you Nov 7, 2006

I learned something new again

Best regards
Jerzy

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Probably a solid archive Nov 7, 2006

Csaba Ban wrote:
Now I downloaded WinRAR and tried to unzip (unrar?) the files, but I received an error message "The archive is in unknown format or is damaged".

This message makes me suspect that the client used a solid compression format. Solid compression compresses better than non-solid, but only in some cases, and only when there is more than one file in the zip file, and a solid zip file can't be "repaired" (or opened piecemeal, like you're trying to do).

What's the file extension of your 13 zip files?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

cannot assemble zip file from smaller zip files

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »