Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 22:11
English to Spanish
+ ...
Oct 20, 2006

Hello everyone!

I am currently looking for a touch-typing tutor in order to improve my typing skills and stop torturing my hands and fingers. I currently use the "randomly pecking style" (hitting each key with the first finger available) and, while I am quite fast, I think that my tendons and joints are beginning to resent it.

Which [paid] software would you recommend for this purpose? Hopefully one that supports Spanish as I also need to learn how to type the accents.<
... See more
Hello everyone!

I am currently looking for a touch-typing tutor in order to improve my typing skills and stop torturing my hands and fingers. I currently use the "randomly pecking style" (hitting each key with the first finger available) and, while I am quite fast, I think that my tendons and joints are beginning to resent it.

Which [paid] software would you recommend for this purpose? Hopefully one that supports Spanish as I also need to learn how to type the accents.

Thank you very much
Collapse

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Do not let your wrists rest on the desk Oct 20, 2006

There are many typing programs in the market, but whichever you select, here is one important advice. Never let your wrists rest on the desk while you type. First of all, it will slow you down and, second but most important, in the long run it will contribute to the development of carpal tunnel syndrome. So, lift your wrists like piano players do, and you will be able to develop great speed (with practice), and avoid a terrible illness. I type 85 wpm, in both languages, switching keyboard layout... See more
There are many typing programs in the market, but whichever you select, here is one important advice. Never let your wrists rest on the desk while you type. First of all, it will slow you down and, second but most important, in the long run it will contribute to the development of carpal tunnel syndrome. So, lift your wrists like piano players do, and you will be able to develop great speed (with practice), and avoid a terrible illness. I type 85 wpm, in both languages, switching keyboard layouts back and forth automatically as needed and without thinking about it. So, it can be done but you need to do it right from the beginning and, of course, practice, practice.Collapse

Saskia Steur (X)
Saskia Steur (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:11
English to Dutch
+ ...
TypeQuick Oct 21, 2006

This is what I used and can fully recommend:

http://www.typequick.com/

I have never looked back, since I did the course. It took me two weeks, half an hour a day, and my speed and accuracy are at a professional level.

Good luck!
Saskia

Peter Linton (X)
Peter Linton (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 03:11
Swedish to English
+ ...
Speech recognition software Oct 21, 2006

The best long-term solution is to stop typing and use speech recognition software (also available in Spanish). There is a learning curve, but once mastered, your tendons and joints will thank you.

Luisa Ramos, CT
Luisa Ramos, CT  Identity Verified
United States
English to Spanish
Has not worked for me Oct 21, 2006

Peter Linton wrote:

The best long-term solution is to stop typing and use speech recognition software (also available in Spanish). There is a learning curve, but once mastered, your tendons and joints will thank you.

------------------------

I have Dragon and I have not been able to make it work. I believe the software expects Castilian Spanish pronunciation. With so many accents for spoken Spanish in the Americas and the fundamental difference in pronunciation with the Spanish in Spain, I would like to hear from someone who has made it work.

Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 04:11
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Some pointers... Oct 23, 2006

Andrea Riffo wrote:
Which [paid] software would you recommend for this purpose? Hopefully one that supports Spanish as I also need to learn how to type the accents.

For the accents, why not just use United States International keyboard? I use it for Afrikaans (less accents than in Spanish, but still).

For the typing software, take a look at this:
http://typingsoft.com/all_typing_tutors.htm

And if you want to save your wrists and you always work on the same computer, try googling for Dvorak and Colemak (or check out the rest of typingsoft's site for yakl (yet another keyboard layout).

Andrea Riffo
Andrea Riffo  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thank you Oct 24, 2006

Thanks for your replies.

Luisa, I do lift my wrists when I type because I'm used to it (I used to be a piano player, in fact). I didn't know that letting them rest on the desk could cause injuries though, so thanks for the tip!

Saskia, thanks for the link, I'm looking into it.

Peter, I do want to buy a speech recognition software (DNS, to be specific) but , unfortunately, they do not ship to C
... See more
Thanks for your replies.

Luisa, I do lift my wrists when I type because I'm used to it (I used to be a piano player, in fact). I didn't know that letting them rest on the desk could cause injuries though, so thanks for the tip!

Saskia, thanks for the link, I'm looking into it.

Peter, I do want to buy a speech recognition software (DNS, to be specific) but , unfortunately, they do not ship to Chile [growl]. That, and I like to hear myself typing, I feel like I'm actually accomplishing something when I listen to the click-click, silly as it may sound (I DO want the software, though, as it will undoubtedly increase my working speed).

Samuel, thanks for the alternative keyboard layouts, I am rather intrigued... do you have a favourite one?

Andrea
Collapse

trab
trab
Spanish to English
"Mavis Beacon Teaches Typing" Oct 25, 2006

This is probably the biggest seller in the US for learning to touch type. I doubt it covers spanish and spanish keyboard layouts. But if you are using an English language layout, this should be helpful.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Touch-typing software needed

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »