Thread poster: Williamson
Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:34
Flemish to English
+ ...
May 2, 2006

is already a fact. You enter your source-text, it is translated with a certain degree of accuracy, you have the program read the translation aloud, Trados mines the terminology and you simply correct the target-text using voice-recognition.
The next step will be voice-recognition of the source text, data-mining and automatic translation.
If this works according to the same principles as voice-recognition-the more you use the programme the better it gets- the profession of translat
... See more
is already a fact. You enter your source-text, it is translated with a certain degree of accuracy, you have the program read the translation aloud, Trados mines the terminology and you simply correct the target-text using voice-recognition.
The next step will be voice-recognition of the source text, data-mining and automatic translation.
If this works according to the same principles as voice-recognition-the more you use the programme the better it gets- the profession of translator will change drastically.

[Edited at 2006-05-02 18:34]
Collapse

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:34
Italian to English
In memoriam
Well, yes but... May 2, 2006

... the home page of the web site in question starts off:
>
Highly qualified translation suite that meets all the demands of translators and localisators who urge to automate their translation processes efficiently.
>

Frankly, my clients do not appreciate translationese like "localisators who urge to automate".

Machine translation is fine for very basic commercial purposes but if you want to earn decent rates by producing publication-ready work in any
... See more
... the home page of the web site in question starts off:
>
Highly qualified translation suite that meets all the demands of translators and localisators who urge to automate their translation processes efficiently.
>

Frankly, my clients do not appreciate translationese like "localisators who urge to automate".

Machine translation is fine for very basic commercial purposes but if you want to earn decent rates by producing publication-ready work in any sector and/or language combination, you will have to resolve endless cruxes that are fundamentally judgement calls requiring specific knowledge of text, subtext and context, as well as above-average writing skills in the target language.

Computer programs simply can't do this and not all that many human translators can, either.

FWIW

Giles
Collapse

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 17:34
Flemish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Productivity May 3, 2006

What I wanted to say is, that all these techologies combined can be of great help to the translator('s) income.
How much you earn depends on how many words you can translate/day.
If you already have the essence of a translation and all you have to do is check whether or not the translation makes sense/is correct and if you can correct the translation by using speech recognition, your productivity will enhance considerably.

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 18:34
Italian to English
In memoriam
But it doesn't work that way May 3, 2006

The number of words you translate each day is only one of the parameters that affect your income.

I'm afraid a lot of the time "pretranslation" merely confuses issues, giving you three texts to look at (original, pretranslation and your translation) instead of just two.

Pretranslation also tends to lose the rhetorical devices and rhythms of the original, which are crucial to most of the texts I deal with and have to be echoed (not reproduced, echoed) in the translation
... See more
The number of words you translate each day is only one of the parameters that affect your income.

I'm afraid a lot of the time "pretranslation" merely confuses issues, giving you three texts to look at (original, pretranslation and your translation) instead of just two.

Pretranslation also tends to lose the rhetorical devices and rhythms of the original, which are crucial to most of the texts I deal with and have to be echoed (not reproduced, echoed) in the translation if it is to carry any conviction.

I wouldn't use pretranslation for the same reason I turn down "revision" jobs: (re)translating from scratch generally produces better work in less time.

That said, I'm sure the system could produce better English than the all too human translators who turned out the manuals for some of the bits and bobs I've bought recently. No machine could be that bad!

FWIW

Giles
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

@promt Expert 7.0 :Integration of TMs and CAT

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »