Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:08
French to Portuguese
+ ...
Feb 22, 2006

Hello!

I am travelling abroad at the moment and my husband, who stayed in Portugal, is forwarding me my e-mails of Outlook Express, since I can't access them from where I am.

At this e-mail address of Outlook Express I mainly receive work from my clients. So, for instance, I keep every e-mail a client sends me for a certain job until the moment I get paid, as well as all the e-mails I send that can prove the work was sent to them.

I had been keeping e-mail
... See more
Hello!

I am travelling abroad at the moment and my husband, who stayed in Portugal, is forwarding me my e-mails of Outlook Express, since I can't access them from where I am.

At this e-mail address of Outlook Express I mainly receive work from my clients. So, for instance, I keep every e-mail a client sends me for a certain job until the moment I get paid, as well as all the e-mails I send that can prove the work was sent to them.

I had been keeping e-mails there for 1 year and a half already from a client who hasn't paid me since then and I had every single e-mail I received from him and those I sent to him.

Yesterday, I asked my husband to forward me an e-mail from a certain client, because I needed to send him a work I've done here and I didn't have his e-mail address with me, only at Outlook Express.

My husband told me that I had no e-mail from that client and when I told him exactly where to look (I remember there was an e-mail from him at the end of the list) my husband told me there was nothing there. He told me that there were only 11 e-mails there on the items received and very few as well at items sent (I know there were more than 50 in each file). And all the e-mails from that client who still owes me money disappeared as well.

What could have happened?

And how to solve this problem?

Thank you in advance for any help.
Ivana
Collapse

Jalapeno
Jalapeno
Local time: 23:08
English to German
Archive? Feb 22, 2006

Hi there,

just a thought, but maybe Outlook automatically archived your e-mails. If I remember correctly, it ask you in regular intervals if you want to auto-archive old elements. If you click Yes, Outlook creates a new folder called "Archives" or something similar within Outlook itself where it puts old e-mails. Have you checked that?

Elisabetta MULATERO PARLIER
Elisabetta MULATERO PARLIER
English to French
+ ...
archives? Feb 22, 2006

I use outlook and not outlook express so may be my suggestion wont't be of any help, if so excude me. May be outlook express has "decided" to archive mails which had not been opened for a while. Try to use the search tool in order to see if somewhere in your computer you can find an archive file. I think for outlook its called archive.pst
I hope you'll manage to retrieve your mails. Good luck.
Elisabetta

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 00:08
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Search from the address book Feb 22, 2006

All contacts are saved in the address book, so you can retrieve the address from there, or look at the Sent-box.
If deleted the message should be in the Trash.

Hynek Palatin
Hynek Palatin  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Different identity/user account? Feb 22, 2006

Perhaps your husband is using another Outlook Express identity or Windows user account? Or maybe he was looking into another folder or deleted the messages by accident?

Things in the computer don't just disappear...

Natalie
Natalie  Identity Verified
Poland
Member (2002)
English to Russian
+ ...

Moderator of this forum
SITE LOCALIZER
Norton antivirus Feb 23, 2006

In case you have Norton antivirus in your computer it could quarantine the whole inbox in case you received a virus in one of emails.

Sarah Brenchley
Sarah Brenchley  Identity Verified
Spanish to English
+ ...
Google Desktop Feb 23, 2006

I find the GOOGLE desktop really useful for searching Outlook. It can search much faster than Outlook and can find deleted/cached messages, etc. Also good for searching for files on your computer and web history. You can then click on the email you want to open and say "View in Outlook" to open it up in Outlook and answer/resent etc.
You can
... See more
I find the GOOGLE desktop really useful for searching Outlook. It can search much faster than Outlook and can find deleted/cached messages, etc. Also good for searching for files on your computer and web history. You can then click on the email you want to open and say "View in Outlook" to open it up in Outlook and answer/resent etc.
You can download it at:
http://desktop.google.com/?pr=mp-gd-en-v3-1

Good luck,
Sarah.
Collapse

Cecilia Paris
Cecilia Paris  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 18:08
English to Spanish
+ ...
check the view tab Feb 23, 2006

If you haven't already done so, make sure that Outlook Express is set at "Show all messages" and that "Hide read messages" has not been checked. This is under the "View" tab of your tool bar. My OE is in Spanish: Ver/Vista Actual/Mostrar todos los mensajes.

Regards,

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:08
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thnak you for all your help. Mar 1, 2006

I've returned home and found out what the problem was.

My husband was looking at my e-mails at "Microsoft Outlook" because he's used to check his e-mails in there and I have all the e-mails at "Outlook Express" because I always check my e-mails there.

When I told him to look at "Outlook Express" he immediately took for granted that it was "Microsoft Outlook". That's why he couldn't find any of my e-mails.
... See more
I've returned home and found out what the problem was.

My husband was looking at my e-mails at "Microsoft Outlook" because he's used to check his e-mails in there and I have all the e-mails at "Outlook Express" because I always check my e-mails there.

When I told him to look at "Outlook Express" he immediately took for granted that it was "Microsoft Outlook". That's why he couldn't find any of my e-mails.

Thank you anyway for all your advices. Of course my husband tried them with no result.

Kind regards,
Ivana
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Outlook Express: Mails received have disappeared

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »