Thread poster: Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Rolf Keller
Germany
Local time: 17:22
English to German
Nov 6, 2018

An unlimited & free version of QuarkXPress:

https://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/Vollversion-von-QuarkXPress-gratis-Aktion-verlaengert-4210589.html

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 16:22
Member (2008)
Italian to English
I wouldn't trust it Nov 6, 2018

Probably contaminated with bots/spyware/ransomeware that will steal your data or worse! Or mess up your computer !

Paulinho Fonseca

Jean Dimitriadis
Jean Dimitriadis  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Maybe read the offer first? Nov 6, 2018

To receive a personal code for QuarkXPress (activation on two computers, Windows or Mac), you need to buy the eMagazine "c't creative work 2017" for €8.99.

If I have understood this correctly, the only supported software language is German, and mostly EU clients (especially those in Germany and Austria, plus Switzerland) may apply.

This is good to know as the above commercial offer is only intended for German-speaking users.

Can anyone speaking German con
... See more
To receive a personal code for QuarkXPress (activation on two computers, Windows or Mac), you need to buy the eMagazine "c't creative work 2017" for €8.99.

If I have understood this correctly, the only supported software language is German, and mostly EU clients (especially those in Germany and Austria, plus Switzerland) may apply.

This is good to know as the above commercial offer is only intended for German-speaking users.

Can anyone speaking German confirm this?

Jean

[Edited at 2018-11-06 12:38 GMT]
Collapse

Heinrich Pesch

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:22
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Just got the free version Nov 6, 2018

After paying for the e-zine and registration I received a link to the download page and could install the evaluation version of QX2015. Within 3 days I should get the code for the full version. There was nothing fishy about the process. I have never worked before in DTP, perhaps I will learn how to use the software. Who knows.

DZiW (X)
DZiW (X)
Ukraine
English to Russian
+ ...
gratis=free of charge? Nov 6, 2018

Tom, why so optimistic? And why would a respected company bother to do malware crime?
Meanwhile, if you can't read German, then do as almost all newbies do--use Google Translate to read the offer)

However, there're at least two (2) little tricks:
A) it's an outdated QuarkXPress 2015;
B) one needs to register (=pay).

In all, some $10 for a decent DTP is still a nice deal, right?
Theoretically, all the apps--let alone outdated--shoul
... See more
Tom, why so optimistic? And why would a respected company bother to do malware crime?
Meanwhile, if you can't read German, then do as almost all newbies do--use Google Translate to read the offer)

However, there're at least two (2) little tricks:
A) it's an outdated QuarkXPress 2015;
B) one needs to register (=pay).

In all, some $10 for a decent DTP is still a nice deal, right?
Theoretically, all the apps--let alone outdated--should be under some $100.

Thank you Heinrich, you're on the right way to income diversification)
Let us know how a license will work for you

Cheers

[Edited at 2018-11-06 15:07 GMT]
Collapse

Silke Walter
Silke Walter  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2014)
English to German
Some answers and additional information Nov 6, 2018

@Rolf
Thank you for sharing!

@Tom
Heise.de is a reliable resource. And I am sure Rolf wouldn’t post malicious links. Please check before spreading such "information".

@Jean
Yes, you have to buy a magazine for €8.99. It includes a download link to a free version of QuarkXpress - the software as such is free.
And you are right, it is in German.

@DZiW
Yes, it is an outdated version but it is still supported by the current macO
... See more
@Rolf
Thank you for sharing!

@Tom
Heise.de is a reliable resource. And I am sure Rolf wouldn’t post malicious links. Please check before spreading such "information".

@Jean
Yes, you have to buy a magazine for €8.99. It includes a download link to a free version of QuarkXpress - the software as such is free.
And you are right, it is in German.

@DZiW
Yes, it is an outdated version but it is still supported by the current macOS and Windows OS.
The registration is only to verify the clients qualified for the download (the ones that have bought the magazine. Of course they want to send you their newsletters and offers, but you don’t have to accept that. You can untick the boxes. So it is free of charge if you want.)

Another interesting fact was not mentioned so far: with this version you can update to the most current version for a reduced price. €399.– instead of €829.– Although you could use another option to get this special offer: if you own a version of one of the listed software you are offered the same advantage (without paying €8.99):

http://content.quark.com/switch-to-quarkxpress-de.html
Collapse

Jean Dimitriadis

Heinrich Pesch
Heinrich Pesch  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 18:22
Member (2003)
Finnish to German
+ ...
Following up Nov 8, 2018

Today I got my activation code. So I started the software and noticed, that the software language had changed to Finnish! So if you live in some other country than Germany, you probably will find the software is in your local language. I'm not so pleased with this, because the guide is in German

Silke Walter
Germany
Member (2014)
English to German
Tutorials in English Nov 8, 2018

The tutorials on YouTube are presented in English:

https://www.youtube.com/user/QuarkXPressTV/videos

HTH

Silke Walter
Germany
Member (2014)
English to German
Documentation in English Nov 9, 2018

And diverse other languages can be found here:

http://www.quark.com/en/Support/Documentation/QuarkXPress/2015.aspx

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

QuarkXPress for free

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »