I need help with MS Word (it inserts words I don't write)
Thread poster: Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:34
French to Portuguese
+ ...
May 10, 2005

I've noticed that for a while some words I don't write are appearing at documents in my MS word (version 2000).

For instance: in my invoices I have a section with my e-mail address and now I have, besides my e-mail address, the words:
{HYPERLINK "mailto:(my e-mail address)"}

If I make "copy/paste" somewhere else the words "hyperlink mailto" and symbols do not appear, but it's quite boring to have it all the time.

Now I am doing a new translation and t
... See more
I've noticed that for a while some words I don't write are appearing at documents in my MS word (version 2000).

For instance: in my invoices I have a section with my e-mail address and now I have, besides my e-mail address, the words:

If I make "copy/paste" somewhere else the words "hyperlink mailto" and symbols do not appear, but it's quite boring to have it all the time.

Now I am doing a new translation and there are parts that appear like this and I'm confused because I don't know anymore which parts must I translate or not.

Is there a way of making it disappear?

Thank you very much in advance.
Ivana
Collapse

Els Thant, M.A., B.Tr. (X)
Els Thant, M.A., B.Tr. (X)
Ecuador
Local time: 11:34
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
edit hyperlinks May 10, 2005

Right-click on the hyperlink to edit it:
you can remove or rename it, etc.
you can also choose whether you want your e-mail to be inserted in Word as a hyperlink or not

hth

regards

els

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Spanish
+ ...
Toggle Field Codes May 10, 2005

Hi Yvanna,

Your documents are fine, you're only seeing the code Word needs to apply certain functions to your text (e.g., a hyperlink).
Go to Tools-Options- View tab and uncheck the tickbox for Field Codes.
You should now be able to see the hyperlinks as hyperlinks and not as code.

You can also right-click on the code and Toggle Field Codes individually.

Cheers,
Grace.

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:34
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
You may want to keep it May 10, 2005

Word will convert text that looks like an e-mail address or a Web site address into hyperlinks, unless you tell it not to. If you really want to do this, here's how to turn it off, from Word Help:

On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options, and then click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.
Select or clear the options you want.

You can remove the hyperlinks on any particular one by;

Right-click the hyperlink you want to remove, and then click Remove
... See more
Word will convert text that looks like an e-mail address or a Web site address into hyperlinks, unless you tell it not to. If you really want to do this, here's how to turn it off, from Word Help:

On the Tools menu, click AutoCorrect Options, and then click the AutoFormat As You Type tab.
Select or clear the options you want.

You can remove the hyperlinks on any particular one by;

Right-click the hyperlink you want to remove, and then click Remove Hyperlink.

You may want to keep it, because it allows your clients to click to start e-mail messages to you.

If it bothers you to see the extra text, go to the Tools menu and select Options. Go to the View tab. In the Show group, deselect Field codes, then click OK to save and close.
Collapse

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:04
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Autocorrect could be on May 10, 2005

Word will insert text of its own if the Autocorrect function is on. You can turn it off by going to the Tools menu, or tweak it to make only the corrections you need (such capitalizing the first letter of a sentence) by editing the list of words/phrases that are automatically changed by Word. This list can be seen by clicking on the link AutoCorrect Options in the Tools Menu bar (look for a table like thing in the window that opens).

Ivana de Sousa Santos
Ivana de Sousa Santos  Identity Verified
Portugal
French to Portuguese
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you all May 10, 2005

It worked by going to the tools menu.
Thank you.
Regards,
Ivana

Can Altinbay
Can Altinbay  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:34
Japanese to English
+ ...
In memoriam
A good thing to look out for May 10, 2005

I don't think it applies in this case, because autocorrect wouldn't actually turn your e-mail address into a hyperlink.

That said, I think autocorrect is something you also want to be aware of, so good point!

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 22:04
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Good to see cats and dogs on such good terms! May 10, 2005

Thanks for agreeing.

asproul
asproul
English
Fix for issue Jun 9, 2005

1. Select the offending text
2. Press > Shift + F9

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 19:34
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
Try this Jun 9, 2005

Ivana de Sousa Santos wrote:
Ivana

I wasn't able to reproduce the problem. I have Office XP, so the menus may differ, but:
Tools>Auto correct> and try to check or uncheck "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks".
In the same menu Tools> there is "Auto format" sub-menu with checkable field "Internet and network paths with hyperlinks". I'd suggest to try variations with these above mentioned.

HTH,

Uldis

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

I need help with MS Word (it inserts words I don't write)

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »