Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:42
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 2, 2005

Does anyone know what programs are out there to help count words on websites? Or just download the pages to your hard drive and then count them with Practicount? I've been using Teleport Pro, and honestly, it's not fabulous. What do the big agencies use?

Graciela Carlyle
Graciela Carlyle  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:42
English to Spanish
+ ...
if your browser is firefox... Feb 2, 2005

Hi Sandra,

If you use Firefox, there's a handy extension that counts words in web pages. Just select the text, right-click and the option "word Count" appears.

I don't know if anything like that is available for IE, I've abandoned it quite a while ago.

Cheers,
Grace

Sandra Alboum
Sandra Alboum  Identity Verified
United States
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
That's not quite what I was talking about... Feb 2, 2005

Grace,

Thanks, but that's not quite what I want. If I want to count all the words on xyz.com (and all its subpages), I want to have a program that will go and retrieve all those pages, and either store the pages on my hard drive for counting with PractiCount, or ... just count the words for me.

I have Teleport Pro, which does this, but I'm finding it's not that great.

Sandra

Graciela Carlyle wrote:

Hi Sandra,

If you use Firefox, there's a handy extension that counts words in web pages. Just select the text, right-click and the option "word Count" appears.

I don't know if anything like that is available for IE, I've abandoned it quite a while ago.

Cheers,
Grace

Brandis (X)
Brandis (X)
Local time: 21:42
English to German
+ ...
Practicount Feb 2, 2005

Hi! download full website to a folder (using tools like Webreaper) and drop the folder into practicount. That is a solid method I know and also use.
Rgds, Brandis

pep
pep
English to Spanish
Maybe Webbudget? Feb 2, 2005

Sandra Alboum wrote:

Does anyone know what programs are out there to help count words on websites? Or just download the pages to your hard drive and then count them with Practicount? I've been using Teleport Pro, and honestly, it's not fabulous. What do the big agencies use?

Have you tried with Webbudget? I don't have it but I saw a demo and it has a crawler and a word count feature.

Pep.

Rahi Moosavi
Rahi Moosavi  Identity Verified
Canada
Member (2004)
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Firefox? Feb 3, 2005

Hi Graciela

I use Firefox but didn't find this option, could you please elaborate more? I selected some text and right clicked but there was no word count option.

Regards,
rahi

Vauwe
Vauwe
English to German
+ ...
PlusTool Feb 3, 2005

I would recommend PlusTools from Wordfast to count words/pages of Websites

Vauwe

Herminia Herrándiz Espuny
Herminia Herrándiz Espuny  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Agree with Pep Feb 4, 2005

I'd recommend you to use webbudget, even freebudget, which is free and makes a budget for the translation of the whole webbpage according to the rates you specify to the program

Re: Practicount Feb 4, 2005

Hello,

Besides, the latest version of PractiCount (Business edition) also has the website crawler interface allowing to download a website right from PractiCount.

Best regards,
Maxim Siefer
Practiline Software
[email protected]
http://www.practiline.com

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Webpage Word Counting Software

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »