Application for .TIF extension
Thread poster: Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)
Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)
Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 07:46
French to Spanish
+ ...
Sep 3, 2008

Hi everyone,

I have received a scanned document in a .tif file, but I can't open it. Anybody knows which application I should use and if it's downloadable?

Thank so much in advance,

Silvia

Tomasz Ratajczak
Tomasz Ratajczak  Identity Verified
Polish to Swedish
+ ...
Image viewer Sep 3, 2008

It's an image so you could use one of the free image viewers available.
For example http://www.irfanview.com/

Boyan Brezinsky
Boyan Brezinsky  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 08:46
English to Bulgarian
+ ...
Any image viewer Sep 3, 2008

Any image viewer will do. My favorite is the free IrfanView for Windows. Another excellent free one is XnView.
However, I am surprised you can't open the file - although you don't say what your operating system is, all Windows since Windows 2000 are capable of opening TIFF files through a built-in component (it has different names though). And this piece of software is installed by default with Windows, one must apply special efforts to not install it.

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Latvia
Local time: 08:46
Member (2003)
English to Latvian
+ ...
ACDSee Sep 3, 2008

http://www.filehippo.com/download_acdsee/

Seems 30 days Demo version is free. I myself have still have an older version- 6.0, but it opens and prints tif files OK.

HTH,

Uldis

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
TIF files Sep 3, 2008

You don't mention your operating system, but:

1. If you have MS Office 2003, you will find something called "Microsoft Office Picture Manager" in your Start Menu -> Microsoft Office -> Microsoft Office Tools

2. There is also a utility called "Fax Viewer" - right-click on the file name in Windows Explorer, choose "open with" and Fax Viewer should be there somewhere.

3. Goold ol' MS Paint also opens TIF files. You will find Paint in your Start Menu -> Accesso
... See more
You don't mention your operating system, but:

1. If you have MS Office 2003, you will find something called "Microsoft Office Picture Manager" in your Start Menu -> Microsoft Office -> Microsoft Office Tools

2. There is also a utility called "Fax Viewer" - right-click on the file name in Windows Explorer, choose "open with" and Fax Viewer should be there somewhere.

3. Goold ol' MS Paint also opens TIF files. You will find Paint in your Start Menu -> Accessories

HTH
Pawel Skalinski

p.s. - all these programs are part of Windows (2, 3) or MS Office Standard (1). No need to install anything!

[Edited at 2008-09-03 16:17]
Collapse

Jorge Payan
Jorge Payan  Identity Verified
Colombia
Local time: 00:46
Member (2002)
German to Spanish
+ ...
If you want to process it for being translated.... Sep 3, 2008

you could use, (for MS Office 2003):

Start-> Microsoft Office -> Microsoft Office Tools -> Microsoft Office Document Imaging.

Once in Microsoft Office Document Imaging, by using Tools you could send the text directly to Word, depending on how complex the document is, or OCR it.

BTW, you mean .tiff, not .tif, don't you?

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
@Jorge Sep 3, 2008

The extension at the end of the file is TIF. The full acronym has four letters

As a point of note, Document Imaging is gone in Office 2007. I would also worry about getting the file open first. OCR is only an optional second step...

P.A.S.

Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)
Silvia Montufo Urquízar (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
French to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks a lot, everyone... Sep 3, 2008

... I managed to see it:-)

Best regards,

Silvia

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Application for .TIF extension

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »