Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]
Invoice from "Professional Translator" [email protected] aka Victor Vladimirovich Alexandrov
Thread poster: Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:24
Portuguese to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
DDos Attack Mar 24, 2015

My website, baldwinlinguas.com is being DDoS attacked today.
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with our friend, Victor here (or whoever it is sending invoices in this name).
The browser requests are coming from everywhere...Egypt, UK, Iran, Mongolia, Grenada...everywhere,
but in almost all of them show browser locale to be RU.
This is indicative of a DDoS attack where they've taken over other people's machines and are using them to attack my site (which is why it is
... See more
My website, baldwinlinguas.com is being DDoS attacked today.
I'm pretty sure it has something to do with our friend, Victor here (or whoever it is sending invoices in this name).
The browser requests are coming from everywhere...Egypt, UK, Iran, Mongolia, Grenada...everywhere,
but in almost all of them show browser locale to be RU.
This is indicative of a DDoS attack where they've taken over other people's machines and are using them to attack my site (which is why it is called a Distributed Denial of Service attack, but using a plethora of machines to send multiple requests to my server, thus overloading the server).
Because it is a distributed denial of service attack (DDoS), coming from so broad a range of locations, I'm unable to block any specific range of IPs to counter the attack.
The worst part is, I have client websites on the same server (I do webmastery/design/dev and hosting on the side), which are also now all down due to this same attack.
I've turned apache off, for a while, to see if it will just die down, or something.
I've never dealt with a DOS attack that wasn't localized enough to deal with by blocking a range of IPs, so I'm researching what to do in this case.
I've never been such a target before for any reason.
It's rather upsetting...

---

I have implemented a few measures to reduce the impact of their attack with iptables, apache redirects, and other tactics.
All else I can do now is kind of wait it out, I suppose.

[Edited at 2015-03-24 22:22 GMT]
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Invoice from "Professional Translator" [email protected] aka Victor Vladimirovich Alexandrov

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »