Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 02:38
English to French
+ ...
Dec 31, 2007

Here is the e-mail I got this morning:

-----------
You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.
Author: [email protected]
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 41.207.3.206
-----------

[email protected]

With
... See more
Here is the e-mail I got this morning:

-----------
You have been sent a message via your ProZ.com page.
Author: [email protected]
[NOTE: The author is not a registered ProZ.com user or was not logged in when sending this message.]
Author's IP address: 41.207.3.206
-----------

[email protected]

With Respect,

I am Paul Kone and My sister Theresa Kone Our parents Mr.
and Mrs. David kone were assassinated here in IVORY COAST.
Before my father's death he had SEVEN MILLION UNITED
STATES DOLLARS kept in a well concealed trunk box and
deposited with a secutity company here in Abidjan. I want
you to do me a favour to receive these funds to a safe
account in your country or any safer place as the
beneficiary. I have plans to do investment in your country,
like in real estate and or industrial production(s). This is
my reason writing you. Please if you are willing to assist
me and my only sister, indicate your interest by replying.

Thanks and best regard. [email protected]

Paul Kone

-----------

This is obviously a classic scam. This made me wonder: wouldn't we all be better off if ProZ batch mail was only available to members? I would also appreciate it if there was an option in my profile to turn off ProZ mail for messages that are sent by people who are not registered or not logged in. I would turn that option on the second I am aware of it.
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 08:38
English to German
+ ...
Submit a Support Request Dec 31, 2007

Hi Viktoria,
As usual in such cases, it is more efficient to submit a Support Request to staff than posting in the forum - the difference being that site staff can act to block the offending e-mail address straight away.

This made me wonder: wouldn't we all be better off if ProZ.com batch mail was only available to members?

It is, but that doesn't stop spammers to send such messages individually - what makes you think this was sent as a batch?

I would also appreciate it if there was an option in my profile to turn off ProZ.com mail for messages that are sent by people who are not registered or not logged in. I would turn that option on the second I am aware of it.

Right in your profile settings:
My ProZ.com - My Settings - Email preferences: set the radio button to "Allow only ProZ.com members who are logged in to send me messages via my profile".

HTH, Ralf

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 03:38
Member (2006)
English to Spanish
The option is available Dec 31, 2007

Hi Viktoria,

I blocked the right of that address to access the site earlier today based on a support ticket reoprting the same scam.

If you go to the "Settings" tab in your profile you will see an "Email preferences" option. There you will find the following options:
    Profile message preferences
  • Allow anyone to send me messages via my profile page
  • Allow only ProZ.com members who are logged in to send me messages via my profile
    <... See more
Hi Viktoria,

I blocked the right of that address to access the site earlier today based on a support ticket reoprting the same scam.

If you go to the "Settings" tab in your profile you will see an "Email preferences" option. There you will find the following options:
    Profile message preferences
  • Allow anyone to send me messages via my profile page
  • Allow only ProZ.com members who are logged in to send me messages via my profile
  • Allow no one to send me messages via my profile page
  • Do not vet messages sent to me via my profile

Kind regards,
Enrique
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canada
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks Ralf Dec 31, 2007

Ralf Lemster wrote:

what makes you think this was sent as a batch?

Nothing makes me think it was sent as a batch, but I have noticed a while ago that the line in ProZ mail sent as a batch which tells you that the message was sent as a batch is gone now, so it is impossible for me to know when I get ProZ mail if the message was part of a batch or if it is an individual message. Also, when I thought of the possibility that the message was sent individually, I immediately thought that these people would have a hard time copying and pasting so many individual messages and therefore probably wouldn't want to send them all one by one. But this is only one possibility.

Ralf Lemster wrote:
Right in your profile settings:
My ProZ.com - My Settings - Email preferences: set the radio button to "Allow only ProZ.com members who are logged in to send me messages via my profile".

Oh well, I wasn't aware. Funny how after using a resource for so long, we don't quite remember all the options there is - unless this was added after I became a member and I didn't see any communication about this feature. In any case, I will now go and activate this option in my profile.

Thanks for your help!

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Peru
Local time: 01:38
Spanish
+ ...
Block IP / Report IP Dec 31, 2007

It would be a good idea to add a 'Block IP' and 'Report IP' link in every email sent via Proz. I know there's a way of doing this manually, but doing it straight from the email would be much faster.

craigs
craigs
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If I may piggyback on this topic Dec 31, 2007

I was wondering about a request through Proz.com that actually sounded legitimate in essence, but it was completely out of the blue since I do not seek jobs here but use the site for other purposes.

Last I checked my profile, there was nothing to indicate anything about me that would make someone send a job proposal; so I am wondering if it was after the style of a mass-mailing and everyone got one or what.

Has anyone else got that?

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

409 scam sent through ProZ profile

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »