English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Oct 24, 2001

[quote]

On 2001-10-24 07:24, Jerry wrote:

Quote:

On 2001-10-24 05:19, ludovici wrote:

You don\'t address the general tone and content of the Etiquette. I would like to know what you think and how we could implement it for peaceful and productive coexistence within Proz.com.

All the best. Ciao

paola l m

There is a difference between moderating and censoring. I think freedom of speech is a rather important issue and I’m not really keen on having my comments being censored “a priori” by anyone.

The words “I will squash …” sounds bullyish. I certainly wouldn’t want to join a list where I risk being “squashed”. Let’s put it this way, moderators should moderate with moderation. I wouldn’t want to get punished for a joke or a misunderstood comment.

Indeed. I certainly would contact you privately if I was not sure about the import of your joke. Big Sister here has not squashed any question even when a colleague was so much as called \"unnprofessional\" publicly. And I don\'t think that there was much room for misreading there.

All the best.

paola l m

FL?zaro
FL?zaro
French to Portuguese
+ ...
That's the "X" point Jerold! And I simply fully agree with such a concise approach! Oct 24, 2001

Quote:

On 2001-10-24 04:28, Jerry wrote:

“Let the victim decide” and “Who moderates the moderator”

Paola, based on recent altercations that I’ve seen on the site, I certainly must say that the objectivity and judgement of the moderator of such a system would have to be at a pretty high level for it to work. Recent arguments demonstrate that we are far from that goal. I don’t want to blame people. ... See more
Quote:

On 2001-10-24 04:28, Jerry wrote:

“Let the victim decide” and “Who moderates the moderator”

Paola, based on recent altercations that I’ve seen on the site, I certainly must say that the objectivity and judgement of the moderator of such a system would have to be at a pretty high level for it to work. Recent arguments demonstrate that we are far from that goal. I don’t want to blame people. We’re human, we make mistakes. I do all day long. It’s our nature. But we are just not there. I’m sorry.

As Catherine says, we should be adults, and many of here do know how to argue and may prefer to respond to such a remark in an adult manner, given that the pretexts and salient points are evident any visitors or observers. I myself would know how to respond to many of the personal attacks I have seen on this site. It is essential though that my response not be retaliatory of a retaliatory form. I would have to stick to facts and reality and not respond to the person but to his arguments. I may request the other to clarify his point and if he is out of order, maybe I didn’t understand what he was trying to say. Maybe he was joking. Maybe he’ll respond “Excuse me, you are right” and we’ll go on being friends. Maybe I would say, “Aren’t we getting out of hand here, can you clarify your position off the list”.

On the other hand I’ve seen some arguments that have compromised the professional image of others and the arguer themselves, sometimes cunningly and insidiously, other times blatantly and obviously. Since our professional images are important for our success as translators (along with our true professionalism, as opposed to our image), I can think of circumstance wherein I would simply want an offensive or slanderous comment to be censored (especially if there are grounds to believe that the person is beyond reasoned with). I would want to be notified by someone if I were the victims of such an attack (I may be busy with other things at the time). Then I’d like to be able to depend on a monitor to censor it.

That my idea.

What do you think?

[ This Message was edited by: on 2001-10-24 05:13 ]

Collapse

CLS Lexi-tech
CLS Lexi-tech
Local time: 05:08
English to Italian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Freedom of speech and freedom from cricism Oct 24, 2001

There is a difference between moderating and censoring. I think freedom of speech is a rather important issue and I’m not really keen on having my comments being censored “a priori” by anyone.

I certainly wouldn’t want to join a list where I risk being “squashed”.

Big sister here did not squash nobody, but I should have where there was no room for misunderstanding and colleagues were treated, in no uncertain terms, as less than professional
... See more

I certainly wouldn’t want to join a list where I risk being “squashed”.

Big sister here did not squash nobody, but I should have where there was no room for misunderstanding and colleagues were treated, in no uncertain terms, as less than professional. I have sent private messages, and if I used the tone you call bullyish (the original message was posted many months ago, you can look it up in the Kudoz) it was because push had come to shove, and we needed guidelines.

Hope this helps to understands.

paola l m

Collapse

marina callegari
marina callegari  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:08
English to Italian
Thank you Paola Oct 27, 2001

Thank you Paola for your “nearly a Decalogue”. More than once, and not only regarding ProZ, I’ve thought about the difference between uttered and written words. There’s certainly a big discrepancy between the harmfulness of the two. Even if I don’t like to argue with people verbally, I’m sure that arguing through Internet, when you can’t look into your interlocutor’s eyes, when you have even never met him/her, is much more harmful. Each one among us has experienced that sad emot... See more
Thank you Paola for your “nearly a Decalogue”. More than once, and not only regarding ProZ, I’ve thought about the difference between uttered and written words. There’s certainly a big discrepancy between the harmfulness of the two. Even if I don’t like to argue with people verbally, I’m sure that arguing through Internet, when you can’t look into your interlocutor’s eyes, when you have even never met him/her, is much more harmful. Each one among us has experienced that sad emotion in reading just one word with a slightly aggressive meaning in an email message or a Kudoz answer or something of that kind. So I think a double amount of attention and sensitivity should be employed to avoid wounding somebody delicacy in these contexts.

Let’s go on in peace with each other, at least in our virtual community.

Marina

Collapse

Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Telesforo Fernandez (X)
Local time: 14:38
English to Spanish
+ ...
This is wonderful Oct 27, 2001

Thanks Sogni for that great eye opener. I had never realized that we could offend someone in real terms through the virtual medium. What an awful thing!

Thanks again for that great piece of advice to make peace with others.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Suggestions for a policy on KudoZ etiquette

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »