Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >
Moderators: what happens now? How is it proposed to recruit new moderators?
投稿者: Marie-Hélène Hayles
Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
米国
Local time: 16:33
2003に入会
英語 から イタリア語
+ ...
Just one time Mar 5, 2009

Jared wrote:

is it five points each time I use the term, or can it just be a one-time point deduction?)

It is a one-time point deduction per discussion thread.

Be forewarned however, so that you don't incur in other corporatese-related penalties:

"core values" - 5 points per thread
"corporate vision" or "our vision" - 15 points per occurrence
"stakeholder" - 20 points per thread (except in discussions concerning best methods for slaying vampires, in which case no penalty)
"low-hanging fruit" - 25 points first occurrence, one-year suspension any further occurrence

Russell Jones
Russell Jones  Identity Verified
英国
Local time: 23:33
イタリア語 から 英語
My thoughts exactly Aniello Mar 5, 2009

Aniello Scognamiglio wrote:

The conclusions I have drawn during the last months are that ProZ.com is no longer the "community" it used to be but a company aiming at maximizing its profits (which is a normal thing I have no problem with).

BUT: ProZ.com management should keep in mind that the paying ProZ members (translators, interpreters etc.) are the ProZ clients. Has ProZ.com ever conducted a client satisfaction survey? Is ProZ.com management really interested in knowing what their clients think? Does ProZ.com management perceive criticism as a chance to improve things?

It is Henry's site do what he wants with but its dramatic increase in size, the inevitable growth in paid administrators and the (understandable) wish to gain some tangible reward for years of dedication in building it up have toatally changed its character.
I am feeling the loss of community spirit and any sense of meaningful involvement very keenly. I was happy to pay membership fees for a community run site but a commercial enterprise is another matter entirely.

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:33
イタリア語 から 英語
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Community spirit Mar 5, 2009

Russell Jones wrote: I am feeling the loss of community spirit and any sense of meaningful involvement very keenly. I was happy to pay membership fees for a community run site but a commercial enterprise is another matter entirely.

I've also perceived the same thing recently, but it seems to me that this change to the moderator status might actually be an attempt to get the community spirit back. I'm quoting Katalin from a post she made in the original thread announcing the changes:

Katalin Horvath McClure wrote

Henry, are you saying that from now on, regular members will have access to pre-release information about features, beta-testing, etc., and will be able to give input - I mean real input, that may influence decisions BEFORE they are made? Are you saying that new features, changes to existing features, etc. may be reconsidered or even withdrawn before going live based on the feedback from regular members?
If yes, hurray!

Katalin

I don't think Henry ever answered this question directly, but surely his own words make this implicit?

Henry said:
This change was made in light of the evolving nature of the community, and site staff's goal of carrying out site development in a manner as open and community-led as possible. (The recent invoicing release is an example of this approach in practice.)

[Edited at 2009-03-05 19:08 GMT]

Riccardo Schiaffino
米国
2003に入会
英語 から イタリア語
+ ...
A serious question to Henry or to other site personnel Mar 5, 2009

Many of the best moderators have already left (see for example the Italian forum).

None of them has gone in any details why they are leaving their positions as moderators. This is correct behavior on their parts, but I think that most members of the site would like to know more details about why the moderators are leaving.

I think it is now up to Henry and the site staff to provide these answers.

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 19:33
サイトのスタッフ
Thanks Aniello and Russell Mar 5, 2009

To address the concerns voiced by Aniello and Russell:

Aniello,

ProZ.com management should keep in mind that the paying ProZ.com members (translators, interpreters etc.) are the ProZ.com clients. Has ProZ.com ever conducted a client satisfaction survey? Is ProZ.com management really interested in knowing what their clients think? Does ProZ.com management perceive criticism as a chance to improve things?

The answers are yes, yes, and yes. This is what the mission statement (sorry Riccardo) is about.

Russelll, Henry created the site, but I wouldn't say it's his site-- it's the community's. The company behind the site is run by Henry, and Henry, just like every other member of staff, is working for you.

I realize we may be running off-topic here already, but can you tell me more about the loss of community spirit you mention, and why you believe this is not a community-run site? When I look around I find it difficult to see anything that was not originated and shaped by the community. I'd like to hear your thoughts on the matter.

Best regards,

Jared

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
ロシア連邦
Local time: 01:33
英語 から ロシア語
+ ...
L... Mar 5, 2009

Looks like the resignation of some moderators and moderator-related changes have entailed certain frustration on behalf of some colleagues, leading to a hot duscussion.

To me it's the same community as it was before. It is in progress. It is driven by commonly shared passion for languages and our trade. It's a meeting point of colleagues and a powerful workplace with good tools to work with. The core values prevail over whatever may be thought of as irregularities, but I do not see
... See more
Looks like the resignation of some moderators and moderator-related changes have entailed certain frustration on behalf of some colleagues, leading to a hot duscussion.

To me it's the same community as it was before. It is in progress. It is driven by commonly shared passion for languages and our trade. It's a meeting point of colleagues and a powerful workplace with good tools to work with. The core values prevail over whatever may be thought of as irregularities, but I do not see any.
Collapse

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
サイトのスタッフ
To respond to Riccardo Mar 5, 2009

Hi again Riccardo,

Henry announced the re-definition of the moderator role at http://www.proz.com/topic/128900 . This represents an important change in the role of site moderator.

I don't think it would be fair to generalize or give reasons on any ex-moderator's behalf, and I don't think that the moderators who have stepped down have done so for all of the same reasons.
<
... See more
Hi again Riccardo,

Henry announced the re-definition of the moderator role at http://www.proz.com/topic/128900 . This represents an important change in the role of site moderator.

I don't think it would be fair to generalize or give reasons on any ex-moderator's behalf, and I don't think that the moderators who have stepped down have done so for all of the same reasons.

Best regards,

Jared
Collapse

Kim Metzger
Kim Metzger  Identity Verified
メキシコ
ドイツ語 から 英語
Passion for languages and our craft? Mar 5, 2009

Oleg Osipov wrote:

It is driven by commonly shared passion for languages and our trade.

I don't think that passion is shared, Oleg. That's the big problem.

[Edited at 2009-03-05 23:44 GMT]

Angie Garbarino
Angie Garbarino  Identity Verified
2003に入会
フランス語 から イタリア語
+ ...
Just hope that this does not negatively affect the community Mar 5, 2009

I must be very grateful to proz. and to Henry in particular because it gave me a big opportunity to gain money when the business in which I worked as in house translator (a jewelry enterprise) closed in 2003.

It gave me the opportunity to be able to gain money again with the job I love.

And during the years (6 now) I felt more and more affection for this site, the community and some of the mods.

So... Jared, I just hope that these resignations do not negat
... See more
I must be very grateful to proz. and to Henry in particular because it gave me a big opportunity to gain money when the business in which I worked as in house translator (a jewelry enterprise) closed in 2003.

It gave me the opportunity to be able to gain money again with the job I love.

And during the years (6 now) I felt more and more affection for this site, the community and some of the mods.

So... Jared, I just hope that these resignations do not negatively affect the community and its nice spirit.

This is just my sincere feeling at the moment.

I do not want to know personal reasons, I just hope...

[Edited at 2009-03-05 20:36 GMT]
Collapse

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
スペイン
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
some moderators resigned prior to this Mar 5, 2009

Marie-Hélène Hayles wrote:

Anyone who's been in the forums in the last few days will have noticed that the changes in moderator status announced by Henry here http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom:_translator_coop/128900-moderator_role_has_been_redefined:_sounding_board_role_now_left_to_general_member_community.html
have led to largescale resignation of the existing moderators, leaving at least one area with no moderators at all that I am aware of.

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2009-03-05 15:55 GMT]

Hi Marie-Hélène

Some moderators resigned before this was posted. I'm aware of 5 resignations in the last 7 days or so, 2 of which resigned after the posting you cite.

So, were moderators aware of the changes beforehand or not?

Riccardo Schiaffino
米国
2003に入会
英語 から イタリア語
+ ...
Not generalize, but detail Mar 5, 2009

Jared wrote:

Hi again Riccardo,

Best regards,

Jared

Hi Jared,

I was aware of Henry's redefinition of the moderator's role. I had thought that it would lead to some moderators resignations, but not on this scale. I'm not asking about any generalization about why so many moderators, but I think it would be interesting for the community to know of in some details about why so many of the people who have contributed to the success of ProZ now all the same time feel they cannot do it any longer.

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
スペイン
スペイン語 から 英語
+ ...
ProZ mission Mar 5, 2009

Jared wrote:

The ProZ.com mission: Provide tools and opportunities that translators, translation companies, and others in the language industry use to:

* network,
* expand their businesses,
* improve their work,
* experience added enjoyment in their professional endeavors.
[/quote]

Last week I called into question whether ProZ abided by its mission statement, especially those referring to * network and * improve their work, as it has introduced a new policy to ban announcements of events of interest to translators by small non-profit associations; these announcements sufddenly had to be "advertised" (and paid for). Someone (Drew) contacted me as recently as yesterday - I can only assume becuase of an outcry - to say that these kinds of announcements would be possible in the future under certain conditions. I couldn't be bothered to reply, especially as I'd have had to submit another support request (reply wasn't directly possible).

I have no time nor energy nor interest in dealing with any backtracking or aboutfacing in policy - as far as I'm concerned the damage has been done (arbitrary decision making, locking posts, deliberately reducing the visibility of posts). Like Riccardo, I tend to distrust what Riccardo called "corporatese"and what I called "corporate speak" in my own post.

[Edited at 2009-03-05 21:34 GMT]

Aniello Scognamiglio (X)
Aniello Scognamiglio (X)  Identity Verified
ドイツ
英語 から ドイツ語
+ ...
Exactly! Mar 5, 2009

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

I'm not asking about any generalization about why so many moderators, but I think it would be interesting for the community to know of in some details about why so many of the people who have contributed to the success of ProZ now all the same time feel they cannot do it any longer.

Spot on, Riccardo,
the key question is why many moderators resigned within a couple of days, why one moderator followed the other??? As I said earlier in the thread: It is easier and better to inform (proactive action) than to justify something (reaction)!

Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
サイトのスタッフ
I don't think it would be fair to detail this either Mar 5, 2009

Hi again,

Riccardo Schiaffino wrote:

I'm not asking about any generalization about why so many moderators, but I think it would be interesting for the community to know of in some details about why so many of the people who have contributed to the success of ProZ.com now all the same time feel they cannot do it any longer.

I would not say that stepping down as moderator equals no longer contributing the the success of ProZ.com. I would say that serving as a moderator is one way of doing so. The extent to which a moderator could, as a moderator, directly influence site development is no longer part of the role of moderator. In place of this other opportunities are presenting themselves, to the community at large (moderators or not, but not as an integral part of the moderator role). Moderators still serve an important and valuable role within the site, but it is a different role. I would not expect everyone to agree with this role, to want to carry it out, or to even agree with its implementation. I would also expect some to say "Okay, I've done this, now I'm moving on."

Again, I don't think it would be fair for me to provide details as to why a moderator has stepped down, now or at any time. A moderator may step down when they choose, for whatever reason they choose.

Best regards,

Jared

WriuszTran
WriuszTran
ドイツ
-- Mar 5, 2009

I don't know why people want to be moderators under these conditions and for no pay.

[Edited at 2009-03-06 09:48 GMT]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

このフォーラムのモデレーター
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]
Lucia Leszinsky[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Moderators: what happens now? How is it proposed to recruit new moderators?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »