Iris Shalev
Iris Shalev  Identity Verified
Israel
Local time: 13:49
English to Dutch
+ ...
May 11, 2010

Hello all,

I would like some advise or opinions on something. I just received a job offer for proofreading a large file (12500 words). The client applied a Trados discount schedule, saying that for repetitions and 100% matches he will pay 20% of the full rate, for 99-95% matches 20%, for 75-94% matches 30%, and for 0-74% matches the full price.

I was kind of surprised by this schedule, as I don't really see how this applies to proofreading. He says he will send me an u
... See more
Hello all,

I would like some advise or opinions on something. I just received a job offer for proofreading a large file (12500 words). The client applied a Trados discount schedule, saying that for repetitions and 100% matches he will pay 20% of the full rate, for 99-95% matches 20%, for 75-94% matches 30%, and for 0-74% matches the full price.

I was kind of surprised by this schedule, as I don't really see how this applies to proofreading. He says he will send me an unclean file, which I then have to proofread. But it doesn't matter if it is a 100% match or not, because I will have to go through it all the same, isn't that right? And anyway, it is all already translated, so it everything is supposed to be 100% matches, isn't that right? I am confused! I have never used Trados for proofreading before. I would be grateful for any comments.

Thanks and regards,

Iris Shalev
English to Dutch.
Collapse

ST Translations
ST Translations
United Kingdom
Local time: 11:49
French to English
What a load of rubbish! May 11, 2010

It's amazing what some clients will do to save money! Personally, I would just turn down the job.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:49
German to English
Proofreading/editing/checking paid by the hour May 11, 2010

There's no telling how much rewriting you'll have to do, so this type of work should be paid on an hourly basis. Applying the "Trados discount" to proofing/editing/checking is unfair and should be refused.

Pablo Bouvier
Pablo Bouvier  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:49
German to Spanish
+ ...
Trados discount on proofreading file? May 11, 2010

Iris Shalev wrote:

Hello all,

I was kind of surprised by this schedule, as I don't really see how this applies to proofreading. He says he will send me an unclean file, which I then have to proofread. But it doesn't matter if it is a 100% match or not, because I will have to go through it all the same, isn't that right? And anyway, it is all already translated, so it everything is supposed to be 100% matches, isn't that right? I am confused! I have never used Trados for proofreading before. I would be grateful for any comments.

Thanks and regards,

Iris Shalev
English to Dutch.

Is it a joke? So far I know, proofreading is always taken on an hourly basis.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Quite agree with Kevin May 11, 2010

If you find an error that is repeated in all the 100% matches, your client presumably wants you to correct it every time it occurs.

It is possible to get the TM to register this (assuming you have the TM) and then insert the corrected segment at each point where it is repeated, but you still have to find and open each segment. Or else you have to run a Find and Replace in the text and re-check.

Either way, you do NOT save time, though it may be worth doing for other re
... See more
If you find an error that is repeated in all the 100% matches, your client presumably wants you to correct it every time it occurs.

It is possible to get the TM to register this (assuming you have the TM) and then insert the corrected segment at each point where it is repeated, but you still have to find and open each segment. Or else you have to run a Find and Replace in the text and re-check.

Either way, you do NOT save time, though it may be worth doing for other reasons (consistency) if the change is more than a single typo.

You cannot use the Track Changes together with Trados, but find some way of registering the time spent on the job, and insist on a hourly rate.

If the client does not agree, you could also make a note about it on the Blue Board.

I think we have to stand firm on this, because this must not become ´accepted practice´. Proofing is a demanding and time-consuming job, and there is no reason to do it at sweat-shop rates.
Collapse

Iris Shalev
Israel
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thanks May 11, 2010

Thanks for your replies... I understand, then, that this is not common practise! I will (obviously) ask to see the file before I make a decision. I am curious now to see what this translation will look like.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Unless text is clearly marked, you end up reading it... May 11, 2010

If the client has text that is not to be altered, because it has already been checked and approved, or for whatever reason, then it must be marked clearly, so you know where to spring over.

You do need a clear agreement with your client about how much you are expected to do, and it is NOT clear enough if they say ´just remove the worst errors´.

If a document is a draft, or for internal use only, they may not need you to spend time fiddling with formatting, for instanc
... See more
If the client has text that is not to be altered, because it has already been checked and approved, or for whatever reason, then it must be marked clearly, so you know where to spring over.

You do need a clear agreement with your client about how much you are expected to do, and it is NOT clear enough if they say ´just remove the worst errors´.

If a document is a draft, or for internal use only, they may not need you to spend time fiddling with formatting, for instance.

If you are the last person to check before a glossy document goes to print and then is intended to impress customers at a big trade fair... proper formatting might be an important issue. A surprising number of people notice sloppy formatting, and it spoils the general impression!

If you are proofing an uncleaned file, you cannot be responsible for formatting.

Etc. Etc.

Happy proofreading!
Collapse

Iris Shalev
Israel
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
thanks May 11, 2010

Christine, thanks very much for your comments. I'll have to decide whether this is worth it for me. I'll write to the client and I'll ask for more specific instructions, and to see the file.

imatahan
imatahan  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 07:49
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Iris I would refuse May 11, 2010

This, unhappily, is not a joke and I have experienced many of such purposes, even in my case, that do not have Trados.

What if you have the same word? It may have dozen meanings!

It is unfair and lacks decence.

Iris Shalev
Israel
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
update May 12, 2010

Just an update:
I have seen the translation now, it looks like a good translation that doesn't need much work. I have come to another agreement with the client; a certain sum for the entire job, that we both can live with.
Thanks for sharing your views, everyone - it was very helpful!

Rifraf
Rifraf
lumpsum for the entire job May 12, 2010

Iris Shalev wrote:
I have seen the translation now, it looks like a good translation that doesn't need much work. I have come to another agreement with the client; a certain sum for the entire job, that we both can live with.

Can you let us know if agreeing on a lumpsum works out for you?
Cause normally if you assess a text for proofreading at first glance everything looks alright, untill you actually start editing the text.... then it can take much more hours than envisaged; hence the hourly rate - and why you cannot agree on a fixed price beforehand...

Iris Shalev
Israel
English to Dutch
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well... May 12, 2010

Rifraf wrote:

Cause normally if you assess a text for proofreading at first glance everything looks alright, untill you actually start editing the text.... then it can take much more hours than envisaged; hence the hourly rate - and why you cannot agree on a fixed price beforehand...

Yes, I suppose there is that danger... Well, I'll have to find out. I'll let you know.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados discount on proofreading file?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »