Awful BBC translation
Thread poster: Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 17:40
French to English
+ ...
Mar 23, 2005

In an article about the manager of Chelsea Football Club, José Mourinho, (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/4370919.stm) , it says:

But he [Mourinho] told Portuguese television: "I have the expectation of complete dismissal, complete dismissal."

"I have always been this way. Sincerely, I don't want to
... See more
In an article about the manager of Chelsea Football Club, José Mourinho, (http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/chelsea/4370919.stm) , it says:

But he [Mourinho] told Portuguese television: "I have the expectation of complete dismissal, complete dismissal."

"I have always been this way. Sincerely, I don't want to change and I want to finish up my career 12, 13 years from now at most, I want to finish it up this way.

"That is, to be loved by my own. And right now I am loved by the Chelsea fans and I don't worry hardly at all about other club's supporters. That's the way I am."

When I first read the comments, I just assumed it was a case of Senhor Mourinho's poor English, but then I noticed it said "he told Portuguese television", so one would assume he made the comments in Portuguese. I guess someone from Portuguese TV gave a "rough" translation to the BBC and they decided they couldn't edit it because it's a quote. I'd quite like to know how much the "translator" got paid. In fact, looking at it, it was quite possibly a machine. In any case, for a website like the BBC, this really is rather embarassing.
Collapse

Timothy Barton
Timothy Barton
Local time: 17:40
French to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Awful BBC translation - II Mar 26, 2005

The BBC have removed the badly translated quotes, although they remain on many websites, including The Independent.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Awful BBC translation

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »