Off topic: "Nell", Jodie Foster film about a private language...
Thread poster: María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver
María Teresa Taylor Oliver  Identity Verified
Panama
Local time: 11:04
Spanish to English
+ ...
Oct 8, 2003

What are your impressions, as linguists, on the film "Nell", starring Jodie Foster?

This 1994 film tells the tale of Nell, a girl born to a woman who was raped, and who later had a stroke, so her speech was distorted due to facial paralysis. They both lived in the woods, and had no contact with the outside world, so the only language Nell heard was the distorted English that her mother spoke to her.

Later, the mother dies, and Nell is found by a doctor, who realizes t
... See more
What are your impressions, as linguists, on the film "Nell", starring Jodie Foster?

This 1994 film tells the tale of Nell, a girl born to a woman who was raped, and who later had a stroke, so her speech was distorted due to facial paralysis. They both lived in the woods, and had no contact with the outside world, so the only language Nell heard was the distorted English that her mother spoke to her.

Later, the mother dies, and Nell is found by a doctor, who realizes that the girl has developed her own private language which nobody understands.

It's a very interesting film. I'd like to hear [read] your opinions

~*T.*~
Collapse

Ruben Berrozpe (X)
Ruben Berrozpe (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
Unfortunately I have not seen the movie... Oct 8, 2003

But if we are to talk about creating languages, I would like to add a classic film to the thread. "Le petit sauvage", François Truffaut. I don't know of the english translation.

It's a classic film in film schools and truly fascinating. And of course there are many others...

Cheers,
Rb

Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni
Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni  Identity Verified
Albania
Local time: 18:04
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Great movie Oct 8, 2003

Dear Maria Teresa,

I have seen the movie years ago and think of it very often. It is a great movie. Foster is just wanderful in that movie, as in any other one. Many things are striking in this movie: her daily visits to "her sister" (...you remember that her twin deid when they were playing in the woods), her gentel identity. Do you remeber the "chika-chika, chika-be..." don't remember the rest. Final moment at the court is absolutely fantastic.

Fabiana

Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni
Fabiana Papastefani-Pezzoni  Identity Verified
Albania
Local time: 18:04
Member (2003)
English to Albanian
+ ...
Helpped by the Bible Oct 8, 2003

Sorry, I forgot another element. They heard her reading the bible loudly and, as far as I remember, that's how they started to understand her "language". Isn’t that marvelous?

Fabiana

Jason Roberts
Jason Roberts  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:04
Dutch to English
+ ...
The Wild Child Oct 9, 2003

Ruben Berrozpe wrote:

But if we are to talk about creating languages, I would like to add a classic film to the thread. "Le petit sauvage", François Truffaut. I don't know of the english translation.

And a wonderful film. I show it to introductory Linguistics classes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Nell", Jodie Foster film about a private language...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »