Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >
Quality at it's best - error in agency brochure
Thread poster: Margaret Schroeder
Bruno Piatti
Bruno Piatti  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:06
English to Italian
Whhhhat I shhhhuld dddo Jun 15, 2003

Why don't write a simpe e-mail to the owner of Web site or to the agency and point out this kind of error/mistake/typo?

This solution would be less time consuming (and useful)

Margaret Schroeder
Margaret Schroeder  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:06
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Nobody´s perfect Jun 15, 2003

Sure, we all make the occasional mistake or typographical error in a posting in a mailing list or newsgroup, or a letter to our aunt, or even occasionally in a translation job. BUT the difference here is that the mistake occurs precisely in the company's advertisement, which is supposed to be a showcase of the quality that a prospective client can expect.

Let me try and make my point clear. If I invited you to my house for supper, and my dog jumped all over you and I served you a ba
... See more
Sure, we all make the occasional mistake or typographical error in a posting in a mailing list or newsgroup, or a letter to our aunt, or even occasionally in a translation job. BUT the difference here is that the mistake occurs precisely in the company's advertisement, which is supposed to be a showcase of the quality that a prospective client can expect.

Let me try and make my point clear. If I invited you to my house for supper, and my dog jumped all over you and I served you a badly cooked meal, you wouldn't necessarily think I was a bad translator. After all not everybody has well-behaved pets. Not everybody is a gourmet cook. But what if I wasn't a translator, but a dog obedience trainer? You'd think twice about using my services, wouldn't you? Or on the other hand, if I was claiming to be an excellent caterer... would you believe it after eating my burnt and tasteless offering?
Collapse

invguy
invguy  Identity Verified
Bulgaria
Local time: 15:06
English to Bulgarian
Two very different issues here... Jun 15, 2003

One is a translation agency affording an obvious language mistake in its own promotion materials.

Well, IMHO *that* is a no-no. In line with what GoodWords wrote: if the mistake was in the brochure of, say, a local computer retailer, I might not even pay attention to it... I mean, it would be just as wrong, but I wouldn't necessarily relate it to the quality of the computer I'd buy from them. However, in the case of a translation agency, *one* such mistake is enough to leave you dou
... See more
One is a translation agency affording an obvious language mistake in its own promotion materials.

Well, IMHO *that* is a no-no. In line with what GoodWords wrote: if the mistake was in the brochure of, say, a local computer retailer, I might not even pay attention to it... I mean, it would be just as wrong, but I wouldn't necessarily relate it to the quality of the computer I'd buy from them. However, in the case of a translation agency, *one* such mistake is enough to leave you doubtful about its professional standards. Im my language we call that "the spoon of tar in the keg of honey"

Then, we have the 'native speakers' issue.

No doubt, native speakers do have a better feeling of a language by default. 'Feeling' and 'command' are not the same thing, though. In order to have good *command* of a language, one needs to have dedicated a significant portion of one's time and efforts to that.

One more thing to mention: when one writes in a foreign language, one tends to be more careful about grammar, punctuation, phrasing etc. (Admittedly, this often results in a more 'bookish' style.) OTOH native speakers - especially those who are not professionally involved with their language - are often subconsciously inclined to write as they speak... so there's always the risk of inadvertently letting such 'written colloquialisms' slip in here and there.

And yep, every one of us *is* a native speaker of at least one language... no?

My 2 cents.

P.S. As a matter of fact, in the case quoted by GoodWords, it might be just a last-minute mistake of whoever did the prepress on the brochure. Prepress folks are not known for their excellent grammar & spelling... I know, I'm basically a graphic designer myself

Besides, with designers there's the phenomenon I call "text-as-graphics syndrome". As soon as you type in a text, you start viewing it only as a graphic element. You might tweak it, fiddle with it, change font, size, colour and whatnot, and still remain blind for some obvious mistake. Been there, done that... This is why the client should *always* proofread the *final* version of the file, immediately before it goes to film.

To clarify: I'm not justifying that agency's mistake, just reflecting on some of the possible reasons for it. It's always good to have clarity about the reasons... only then one could eventually do something about the problem.

Hmmm... that would total up to 4 cents, I guess...
Collapse

Larisa Migachyov
Larisa Migachyov
United States
Local time: 05:06
Russian to English
Non-native English is frequently worse Jun 15, 2003

I'm cursed with a good proofreader's eye. Since I'm looking for work with an agency as a way of getting myself established, I've seen quite a few websites of RussianEnglish translation agencies where the English is, umm, rather nonstandard? Grammar errors, spelling errors, typos, and all sorts of things. Nasty, embarrassing, and the worst thing about it is that they aren't embarrassed enough by such things.

And I agree with all of you - grammar or spelling errors, especially of
... See more
I'm cursed with a good proofreader's eye. Since I'm looking for work with an agency as a way of getting myself established, I've seen quite a few websites of RussianEnglish translation agencies where the English is, umm, rather nonstandard? Grammar errors, spelling errors, typos, and all sorts of things. Nasty, embarrassing, and the worst thing about it is that they aren't embarrassed enough by such things.

And I agree with all of you - grammar or spelling errors, especially of the "its" vs. "it's" variety, are absolutely inexcusable in a translation agency's website. If they produce that kind of English, what will they do with your document? Language is what they have to show - it had better be perfect.

LM
Collapse

sylver
sylver  Identity Verified
Local time: 20:06
English to French
Just a question... Jun 16, 2003

I was under the impression that we were talking about a typo at the end of a brochure.

Is that a flyer with a couple lines? (which does not qualify for the term "brochure") or is it over 5 pages of text/graphic?

In a flyer, indeed, I would tend to agree that 1 typo is just not acceptable, but if we are talking about a bona fides brochure, please give 'em a break.

Is there anyone here ready to garantee that his output is always 100% perfect, with perfectly a
... See more
I was under the impression that we were talking about a typo at the end of a brochure.

Is that a flyer with a couple lines? (which does not qualify for the term "brochure") or is it over 5 pages of text/graphic?

In a flyer, indeed, I would tend to agree that 1 typo is just not acceptable, but if we are talking about a bona fides brochure, please give 'em a break.

Is there anyone here ready to garantee that his output is always 100% perfect, with perfectly adequate style (Which is MUCH more important then grammatical rules) and etc.?

Some folks really should have a good look at themselves before they emit such severe judgements over a trivial typo at the end of several pages of text.

I would be very pleased if this "lighter side of trans/interp" forum was actually used to spread light hearted news and jokes, instead of harsh criticism and covert self promotion.

Back to the brighter side of the force, I am sitting in a cyber cafe in bkk and I see they have printed travel flyers. Let me see...

Ah! Here we go. The real stuff:

"Banquet and conference: The Resort offers 3 conference rooms with the full necessary equipment and an experience banquet team that make your function been successfull and memorable."

"Big Buddha, the traditional architecture for your lasting impressions."

And it goes on and on. Laughing is definitely part of the Thailand experience.

Cheers,
Sylvain
Collapse

Sara Freitas
Sara Freitas
France
French to English
Could be a printing error... Jun 16, 2003

I have personally experienced the challenges of having material printed/incorporated into a website in a country where the language I was dealing with was not the native tongue. There is always a "helpful" proofreader or web developer who wants to "fix" your "mistakes" to make your text "better" before printing...
I am not sure what country Chenoumi's agency is in, but this could be what happened. I say to err is human!
Regards,
Sara

Marc P (X)
Marc P (X)  Identity Verified
German to English
+ ...
Howler Jun 16, 2003

Confusion between "its" and "it's" is a common error among native English speakers with a poor knowledge of English grammar. This does not make it any more excusable in a translation. Quite the reverse: precisely because it is so common, it has the effect of announcing the writer's ignorance to the reader. It is what is known as a "howler". The agency could equally have written "We don't never make no mistakes".

Some years ago, a grammar school in England decided to have some mugs p
... See more
Confusion between "its" and "it's" is a common error among native English speakers with a poor knowledge of English grammar. This does not make it any more excusable in a translation. Quite the reverse: precisely because it is so common, it has the effect of announcing the writer's ignorance to the reader. It is what is known as a "howler". The agency could equally have written "We don't never make no mistakes".

Some years ago, a grammar school in England decided to have some mugs produced bearing the name of the school, as a fund-raising exercise. Unfortunately, the name of the school appeared on the mugs not as "... Grammar School" but as "... Grammer School". What happened? The story made the TV news, folks - that's where I saw it.

Buried in the technical data in the back of an instruction manual for a non-consumer product, confusion between "its" and "it's" might simply raise the odd eyebrow. In a printed advertising brochure, it could easily justify the pulping of an entire print run. In publicity material for professional writers, it ranks alongside Windows 98 crashing as Bill Gates demonstrates it in front of millions of TV viewers.

Marc
Collapse

Ursula Peter-Czichi
Ursula Peter-Czichi  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:06
German to English
+ ...
far beyond reproach Jun 16, 2003

Elías Sauza wrote:

True. It is inexcusable, unacceptable, but humans make mistakes. Still, I think it's only a mistake, not an error, because I'm sure the author knows the rules. Even in some of the greatest pieces of literarure we find similar human mistakes... but that was not my point in the posting above anyhow...

I agree with you and keep thinking about an old saying. It is not really a quote, but it
goes something like this:

There is nobody so far beyond reproach that you could not find a way to prove his/her inadequacy.

If this is the only mistake on the web site then it is no more than a funny slip. Yes, I would apply to this agency (and maybe add a short friendly note about the little oversight).
A sense of humor works a lot better than righteous indignation - in business and linguistics and life and ....

DGK T-I
DGK T-I  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:06
Georgian to English
+ ...
On a lighter note......... Jun 16, 2003

sylver wrote:

Is there anyone here ready to garantee that his output is always 100% perfect, with perfectly adequate style (Which is MUCH more important then grammatical rules) and etc.?

Some folks really should have a good look at themselves before they emit such severe judgements over a trivial typo at the end of several pages of text.

I would be very pleased if this "lighter side of trans/interp" forum was actually used to spread light hearted news and jokes, instead of harsh criticism and covert self promotion.

Back to the brighter side of the force, I am sitting in a cyber cafe in bkk and I see they have printed travel flyers. Let me see...

Ah! Here we go. The real stuff:

"Banquet and conference: The Resort offers 3 conference rooms with the full necessary equipment and an experience banquet team that make your function been successfull and memorable."

"Big Buddha, the traditional architecture for your lasting impressions."

And it goes on and on. Laughing is definitely part of the Thailand experience.

Cheers,
Sylvain

In Britain green-grocers (independent fruit and veg. sellers) have always been famous for putting extra apostrophes in their signs, and it long ago became such a tradition that many took to doing it deliberately - for fun. Not that I'm suggesting that this was a self conscious imitation of the style of a British green-grocer's sign - although, come to think of it, in Britain good green-grocers are highly respected and held in great affection......and we live in a world of surprizing retro advertizing strategies and subtle allusions.......

Oh, and, I'm with Sara, Ursula & Kay on this one

[Edited at 2003-06-17 15:31]

two2tango
two2tango  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 09:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
TIME.... Jun 17, 2003

after time, TIME magazine makes the same grammatical mistake. Would you believe it?Surely they have very good proofers, but inevitably the same mistake keeps on cropping up. *it´s* which should be *its* is a very common mistake among native speakers. Inexcusable in a translator.

Haydée

Kay Fisher (X)
Kay Fisher (X)
German to English
+ ...
finally... Jun 17, 2003

Sara Freitas-Maltaverne wrote:

I have personally experienced the challenges of having material printed/incorporated into a website in a country where the language I was dealing with was not the native tongue. There is always a "helpful" proofreader or web developer who wants to "fix" your "mistakes" to make your text "better" before printing...
I am not sure what country Chenoumi's agency is in, but this could be what happened. I say to err is human!
Regards,
Sara

It happens. I spotted several spelling mistakes on my own website only after it went online, despite the text being proofed 3 times (by 3 different people). I had the website done for me and I'm sure some of the errors crept in when the text which was supplied in a word file was transferred to the html files, because most of the mistakes would even have been spotted by word's spellchecker.

Not being familiar with html, I now have to go back to the ad agency who did the site and ask them to make the corrections, or spend probably two days figuring out how to change the files and upload them.

So, the site is online with a few mistakes, for now, until I get them ironed out.

Maybe this is also the case for the site mentioned here.

BTW, a couple of people have written and pointed out the mistakes in my site (in a polite and friendly way) and I was pleased to hear from them.

Right, you're all off to my site now to spot mistakes I bet...

Thierry LOTTE
Thierry LOTTE  Identity Verified
Member (2001)
English to French
+ ...
Cmon' Sandra Jun 18, 2003

I agree with Sylver :

This is not so dramatic !

We shall overcome it !

Translators should not appear as "Ayatollah"...

Giles Watson
Giles Watson  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to English
In memoriam
It's/Its a mistake, but also a "shibboleth" Jun 18, 2003

The apostrophe is only a spelling convention but its misuse is seen by many native and non-native speakers as a literacy marker, or "shibboleth" to distinguish the educated from the illiterate.

Here's what lexicographer Robert Burchfield wrote about it in his marvellous 1985 book, "The English Language" (published by Oxford University Press - recommended!):

- The prevalence of incorrect instances of the use of the apostrophe at the present time, even in the work of othe
... See more
The apostrophe is only a spelling convention but its misuse is seen by many native and non-native speakers as a literacy marker, or "shibboleth" to distinguish the educated from the illiterate.

Here's what lexicographer Robert Burchfield wrote about it in his marvellous 1985 book, "The English Language" (published by Oxford University Press - recommended!):

- The prevalence of incorrect instances of the use of the apostrophe at the present time, even in the work of otherwise well-educated people (e.g. it's wings, apple's for sale, this is your's), together with the abandonment of it by many business firms (Barclays Bank, Lloyds Bank), suggest that the time is close at hand when this moderately useful device should be abandoned. -

Although, as Dr. Burchfield says, the convention perhaps "should" be abandoned, its social role as a literacy marker is still important, if not quite as crucial as the inability to pronounce the "sh" in "shibboleth".

According to the book of Judges, that little error cost forty two thousand Ephraimites their lives.

Cheers,

Giles
Collapse

medical (X)
medical (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Dear Thierry Jun 18, 2003

Thierry LOTTE wrote:

I agree with Sylver :

This is not so dramatic !

We shall overcome it !

Translators should not appear as "Ayatollah"...

You are right, I feel very sad when I read people so angry about a mistake, everybody makes mistakes always and we are not the "Inquisición" things in this life must be done with elegance. If we see a mistake in a page, we can friendly send a email to inform the webmaster but not here in the forum, it is like "jetter les chrétiens au lions".
Have a nice day.
María

Dyran Altenburg (X)
Dyran Altenburg (X)  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 08:06
English to Spanish
+ ...
So... Jun 18, 2003

...on the one hand, we have those who think it's bad form for a translation agency to boast of linguistic perfection when they're clearly not perfect. And on the other hand we have those who think mediocrity is ok because after all, we're only human and prone to make mistakes, so let's be proud of it, and sprinkle it with who-are-we-to-judge remarks and all.

Nice.

[Edited at 2003-06-18 19:51]

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Quality at it's best - error in agency brochure

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »