Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Off topic: Videogames: They suffer the WORST translations
Thread poster: Yamato (X)
Off course! Jun 26, 2003

Pablo Cañamares wrote:
The Absolute WInner:
FInal Fantasy 7!

The English version isn't much better, sad to say. Aside from the ridiculously stereotypical dialects used in the dialogue (Barret, anyone?), the game contained these gems of translation:

"This guy are sick!"

"Keep goin'? Off course!"

And don't even get me started on the chaos that is the Final Fantasy Tactics tutorial. "This was the darkened items won't appear", indeed...

Yamato (X)
Yamato (X)
Bulgaria
Local time: 00:12
Russian to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Incredible! Jun 28, 2003

In my innocence, I assumed that spanish was translated directly from Japanese... how naive!
SUrely it is a re-translation...

Impressive... so every succesive translation is worse and worse... buf....

By the way, ladies and gentlemen, any more examples of BAAAAAD translations in videogames?
C'mon, post! I promise a postcard from Barcelona to the post that makes me laugh more, so please participate!...
See more
In my innocence, I assumed that spanish was translated directly from Japanese... how naive!
SUrely it is a re-translation...

Impressive... so every succesive translation is worse and worse... buf....

By the way, ladies and gentlemen, any more examples of BAAAAAD translations in videogames?
C'mon, post! I promise a postcard from Barcelona to the post that makes me laugh more, so please participate!

(Thierry, my friend... for reasons known to both of us, I can't include you in the contest! sorry!!)
Collapse

Zany Video Game Quotes Jun 29, 2003

Actually, there are a number of web sites out there dedicated to badly translated, humorous or just plain weird quotes from video games.

Zany Video Game Quotes is perhaps the most well-known; it has quite a large database of screenshots and audio clips of amusing quotations from video games. Some of the commentary on the site is rather sophomoric, but the screen captures in themselv
... See more
Actually, there are a number of web sites out there dedicated to badly translated, humorous or just plain weird quotes from video games.

Zany Video Game Quotes is perhaps the most well-known; it has quite a large database of screenshots and audio clips of amusing quotations from video games. Some of the commentary on the site is rather sophomoric, but the screen captures in themselves are hilarious; some of them are intentionally humorous, but the majority of them are completely unintentional howlers. And yes, this is the site where "All Your Base Are Belong To Us" was first discovered.

Whazzat is a bit more minimalist; rather than using actual screenshots, it simply has transcripts of the amusing quotes, with no commentary. Whether this is a good or a bad thing is really a matter of personal taste.

SNK's arcade games were notorious for having really bad translations. Go check out "Blazing Star" ("Don't be panic!"), the "King of Fighters" series ("I'm the victual!"), and "Twinkle Star Sprites" ("Attack characters fly at your opponentos") on either of those sites for some great (and hilarious) examples...
Collapse

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Videogames: They suffer the WORST translations

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »