Can I work as a Community Interpreter in the UK (DCI) but be based abroad?
Thread poster: Joanna Malhotra
Joanna Malhotra
Joanna Malhotra
United Kingdom
Local time: 23:07
English to Polish
+ ...
Jan 16

Hello, does anyone know if it is possible to work as a Community Interpreter (DCI) in the UK through video/phone, while being based abroad? I live in the UK (pre-settled status), and I am thinking of doing the Diploma in Community Interpreting. I would like to move to France in a year or two so am not sure if I could transfer this job outside of the UK. Would welcome any advice you might have on that issue. Thank you!

Rose Albert
Rose Albert
United Kingdom
I work as a Community Interpreter in the UK Jan 30

As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, regulations and requirements for working as a Community Interpreter (DCI) or in any specific job role can change, and it's essential to check the most recent information from official sources. However, I can provide some general guidance.
Working as a Community Interpreter in the UK typically requires adherence to local regulations and may involve considerations such as residency, work permits, and legal authorization to work. Being based abr
... See more
As of my last knowledge update in January 2022, regulations and requirements for working as a Community Interpreter (DCI) or in any specific job role can change, and it's essential to check the most recent information from official sources. However, I can provide some general guidance.
Working as a Community Interpreter in the UK typically requires adherence to local regulations and may involve considerations such as residency, work permits, and legal authorization to work. Being based abroad might present challenges in meeting these requirements.

1. Research the Requirements
2. Work Permits and Visa
3. Remote or Online Opportunities
4. Networking and Contacts
5. Professional Certification
6. Legal Considerations

It's important to keep in mind that information and regulations can change, so it's advisable to consult with relevant authorities, such as the UK Home Office, or professional associations for the most accurate and current information.

[Edited at 2024-01-30 10:26 GMT]
Collapse

Jorge Payan

Cassidy9
Cassidy9
United States
Local time: 14:07
New user
Suggest Apr 17

Working as a Community Interpreter (DCI) in the UK while being based abroad is typically not feasible. Community interpreting involves providing language support services to individuals within specific communities or geographic areas. Being physically present in the area where you are providing interpretation services is usually essential for effective communication and understanding between the interpreter and the individuals they are assisting.

There may be legal and regulatory re
... See more
Working as a Community Interpreter (DCI) in the UK while being based abroad is typically not feasible. Community interpreting involves providing language support services to individuals within specific communities or geographic areas. Being physically present in the area where you are providing interpretation services is usually essential for effective communication and understanding between the interpreter and the individuals they are assisting.

There may be legal and regulatory requirements that dictate where interpreters must be located to provide services within a particular jurisdiction. These requirements are often in place to ensure the quality and reliability of interpretation services and to comply with local laws and regulations. If you are considering working as a Community Interpreter in the UK, it's advisable to be physically present in the UK or to relocate there to fulfill the requirements of the role. Working remotely from abroad may not be practical or permitted due to the nature of the work and the need for in-person interaction with clients.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Can I work as a Community Interpreter in the UK (DCI) but be based abroad?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »