madleen
madleen
United States
Local time: 07:46
Arabic to English
+ ...
May 18, 2022

Hello

How much should the charge be for a full day conference interpretation that requires travel abroad? And what other costs should I ask the organizer to pay ( hotel- meals- insurance, per diem etc) what should each one be?

Thank you for your advice

ATIL KAYHAN
ATIL KAYHAN  Identity Verified
Türkiye
Local time: 16:46
Member (2007)
Turkish to English
+ ...
Full Day Interpretation Rate May 19, 2022

In my opinion, full day interpretation rate means hourly rate times the number of hours you interpreted.

Full day interpretation rate = Hourly rate X Number of hours interpreted

This is based on my assumption that I do not know how many hours I will interpret in a day. The definition of a full day could vary widely depending on the conference. Even if they ask you for your full day rate, this is how I would quantitatively arrive at that figure.

Hourly rat
... See more
In my opinion, full day interpretation rate means hourly rate times the number of hours you interpreted.

Full day interpretation rate = Hourly rate X Number of hours interpreted

This is based on my assumption that I do not know how many hours I will interpret in a day. The definition of a full day could vary widely depending on the conference. Even if they ask you for your full day rate, this is how I would quantitatively arrive at that figure.

Hourly rate is the one you determine yourself. For a statistical data about hourly rates, you can go to the Tools menu at ProZ > ProZ.com tools > Community rates. You can see there that the average hourly rate for English into Arabic is $31/hour based on a sample size of 6329.

You need to know if this is going to be a consecutive or simultaneous interpretation. While the above rate could be used for consecutive interpretation, rates for simultaneous interpretation are much higher than that. This is because simultaneous interpretation is way more difficult than consecutive one.

On top of that rate, you would add the expenses arising from your travel, including but not limited to flight, hotel, meals, taxis, etc. These expenses should normally be documented in formal terms, i.e. receipts and such. Conference organizers are usually familiar with such procedures.

Since you cannot predict exactly how much these expenses would come out to be, I would ask the company for a formal letter agreeing to pay your such and such expenses, and how they would pay these expenses. As you can see, every step should be documented in formal terms in advance.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth
nini24

Jocelyn Laney
Jocelyn Laney  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:46
Japanese to English
Full day needs to be defined Jan 9, 2023

First, a "full day" needs to be defined.
My rates define "full day" as 8 hours, with an overtime rate for any work that exceeds 8 hours.
(For example, $25/hour, minimum 8 hours/day ($200/day), overtime $35/hour, daily maximum $XXX.)

Interpretation that requires travel often yields overtime (in my experience, total work of 16-17 hours/day) so rates and limitations should be clearly set in advance. Likewise, even if they only need you for half a day, it is reasonable to a
... See more
First, a "full day" needs to be defined.
My rates define "full day" as 8 hours, with an overtime rate for any work that exceeds 8 hours.
(For example, $25/hour, minimum 8 hours/day ($200/day), overtime $35/hour, daily maximum $XXX.)

Interpretation that requires travel often yields overtime (in my experience, total work of 16-17 hours/day) so rates and limitations should be clearly set in advance. Likewise, even if they only need you for half a day, it is reasonable to ask for a full day (8 hours) if you are traveling.

Asking for long-distance transportation, hotel, and local transportation fees to be reimbursed is normal.
Salaried full-time employees are often granted a per-diem for meals on work trips, but the company pays the same salary whether they do 2 hours or 8 or 15 hours of work, so their situation is different.

I would set yourself a reasonable rate and pay for your own meals.
Collapse

nini24

IrinaN
IrinaN
United States
Local time: 08:46
English to Russian
+ ...
Interesting replies Jan 9, 2023

1. I agree with full day = 8 hours, which is also a minimum daily pay regardless. Being away in a foreign country, you can't sell any time to anyone else, and it's not your problem if they won't occupy you for the whole day, say, decide to adjourn earlier one day. The rest should be calculated as overtime for each extra hour.
2. "Conference" means simo so at least $700/day + partner. Don't forget to make sure you'll have one
... See more
1. I agree with full day = 8 hours, which is also a minimum daily pay regardless. Being away in a foreign country, you can't sell any time to anyone else, and it's not your problem if they won't occupy you for the whole day, say, decide to adjourn earlier one day. The rest should be calculated as overtime for each extra hour.
2. "Conference" means simo so at least $700/day + partner. Don't forget to make sure you'll have one
3. Per diem, including travel days (in the US it's 75% of the daily allowance) or what is called "Actuals" in the US, meaning an allowance for 3 meals a day, receipts required) in places better than McDonalds, 50% of the daily rate for travel days, decent hotel, all travel/transportation provided or reimbursed.
Collapse

Liviu-Lee Roth

nini24
nini24
United States
Local time: 08:46
English to Chinese
+ ...
On-site location is far away Apr 15, 2023

IrinaN wrote:

What you mentionned here is very relevant to my new interpreting assignment situation.
They are booking 5 days, the 1st and the 5th days are for travelling, the 3 days in between are working days, I'll be staying 4 nights in a hotel.

What time do you suppose the overtime should start and end?

If the normal full-day are 8 hours, 9am-5pm, should the overtime start at 5pm and end at 9pm or some other time?
Should the 2 days used for travel be calculated with the same fashion?

Thank you for your opinion.

Daisy Noah
Daisy Noah
United Kingdom
Local time: 14:46
interpretation rate Apr 20, 2023

standard rates range from $0.13 - $0.35 per translated word.
interpreters charge from $80. to 160 per hour based on a two-hour rate minimum.

Basir Sulaiman

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Full day interpretation rate

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »