Thread poster: Hai-Ha Doan
Hai-Ha Doan
Hai-Ha Doan
Vietnam
Local time: 04:54
English to Vietnamese
+ ...
Jan 23

Hi, I was contacted by an agency with a subtitling test of 26 video minutes (4906 words in total). The video belongs to the cinema genre. I wonder if this test is too long. Is it appropriate for agencies to ask for such video duration for testing? Thanks!

jmf
jmf  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:54
Member (2006)
Spanish to English
That's way too long Jan 24

I would think 2 or 3 minutes of audio would be more than enough for a test, and could take an hour or longer to finalize depending on the audio and whether you can use tools

Tine Reichert
yinnyann

Arne Krueger
Arne Krueger
Germany
Local time: 23:54
German to English
+ ...
Sounds strange... Jan 24

5k for a test is way too much... Ask them for 2 to 3 minutes, as suggested before. If they are not willing to work with you on your terms, forget it. Business is a give and take. It should not be one-sided...

Good luck!

brovxidfmgan (X)
brovxidfmgan (X)
. Jan 25

It's typically around 100 subtitle events, which is roughly equal to six runtime minutes. Twenty-six runtime minutes is unusually long.

[Edited at 2024-01-25 03:37 GMT]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Duration of a video should a subtitling test asks for

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »