Robert Rietvelt  Identity Verified
Local time: 23:23
Member (2006)
Spanish to Dutch
+ ...
@Lieven Sep 8, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Robert Rietvelt wrote:
"Now, a team of archaeologists and computer scientists from Israel has created an AI-powered translation program for ancient Akkadian cuneiform, allowing tens of thousands of already digitized tablets to be translated into English instantaneously. 17 jun 2023"

If AI is able to 'crack' cuneiform script, how difficult would it be to translate modern languages?

What makes you think that it is AI that has done the 'cracking' ?

If you use DeepL, then it is not DeepL that has done the initial translation, but the zillion existing documents and pages that it has been fed with, followed by human intervention to eleminate obvious errors and to learn the machine how to establish better connexions.

It goes without saying that AI needs to be 'trained' and 'fed', and I think they are (unfortunately) doing well on this point, development after development.

The accuracy might still be debatable, but IMHO that is just a matter of time, hence my answer (thread) on the initial question.

I really hope I am wrong, but .......

Diana Obermeyer
David GAY

Philip Lees
Philip Lees  Identity Verified
Greece
Local time: 00:23
Greek to English
Cancel culture Sep 9, 2023

Levan Namoradze wrote:
After twenty years, I don't think I will renew the ProZ membership. What do you think?

I'm thinking of cancelling my ProZ membership, but that has nothing to do with the state of the translation profession.

Barbara Carrara
Levan Namoradze
Michael Newton
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
expressisverbis
writeaway
Metin Demirel

Michael Newton
Michael Newton  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:23
Japanese to English
+ ...
Profession dead? Sep 9, 2023

I think the real question here is not "What is the future of translation?" but rather "What is the future of proz.com?" I sense a grim reaper.

writeaway
Laurent Di Raimondo
expressisverbis
Jennifer Levey
Philip Lees
Robert Forstag

writeaway
writeaway  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
Sadly, this seems to be the future of proz.com Sep 9, 2023

Michael Newton wrote:

I think the real question here is not "What is the future of translation?" but rather "What is the future of proz.com?" I sense a grim reaper.

https://www.proz.com/profile/670924

Laurent Di Raimondo
philgoddard
Jennifer Levey
Barbara Carrara
Michael Newton
Philip Lees

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 22:23
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Probably not many people read this - but they should because it's very good Sep 9, 2023

SAMPLE QUOTE

"There has been much talk in recent years about Artificial Intelligence (AI) and how “disruptive” it is or will be. Most translators and interpreters agree that AI is already affecting their world and has good, practical uses in the industry, but at the moment most are hard pressed to find clear examples of this in their daily work, outside of its use in conjunction with machine translation."

The Proz.com State of the Industry reports should be required
... See more
SAMPLE QUOTE

"There has been much talk in recent years about Artificial Intelligence (AI) and how “disruptive” it is or will be. Most translators and interpreters agree that AI is already affecting their world and has good, practical uses in the industry, but at the moment most are hard pressed to find clear examples of this in their daily work, outside of its use in conjunction with machine translation."

The Proz.com State of the Industry reports should be required reading for members! This is the most recent one:

https://www2.proz.com/industry-report/2022

It provides credible responses to many of the "is translation dead" type topics that keep cropping up here.
Collapse

Laurent Di Raimondo
Laurent Di Raimondo  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Is ProZ seated next to the Grim Reaper? Sep 9, 2023

writeaway wrote:

Michael Newton wrote:

https://www.proz.com/profile/670924

By shamefully letting this lousy fake AI profile sit among the countless number of human translators and historical subscribers, ProZ is simply throwing the cat among the pigeons (we ARE the pigeons), thereby giving the Grim Reaper a helping hand to do its job. Indeed...

[Modifié le 2023-09-10 05:28 GMT]

expressisverbis
writeaway
Michael Newton
Philip Lees
Jennifer Levey
Michele Fauble

Philip Lees
Greece
Greek to English
Demeaning Sep 10, 2023

Laurent Di Raimondo wrote:

By shamefully letting this lousy fake AI profile sit among the countless number of human translators and historical subscribers, ProZ is simply throwing the cat among the pigeons

I agree that to place human translators on an equal footing with a beta-version chatbot is demeaning to those human translators, quite apart from any other damage that might result. I find it hard to understand this decision, especially as ChatGPT is likely to be retired before too long.

But perhaps the alarmists are not just paranoid and AI really is taking over, and this is just one small part of it.

Levan Namoradze
expressisverbis
Jennifer Levey
Laurent Di Raimondo
writeaway
SandraV

Levan Namoradze
Levan Namoradze  Identity Verified
Georgia
Local time: 01:23
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-) Sep 10, 2023

Skynet is already here.

Philip Lees
Greece
Greek to English
At home Sep 10, 2023

Levan Namoradze wrote:

Skynet is already here.

I know. That's what I named my local wifi network. So I'm connected to SKYNET right now.

Levan Namoradze
expressisverbis

Levan Namoradze
Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-) Sep 10, 2023

Philip Lees wrote:

Levan Namoradze wrote:

Skynet is already here.

I know. That's what I named my local wifi network. So I'm connected to SKYNET right now.

))

alessandra bocco
alessandra bocco  Identity Verified
Member (2006)
English to Italian
+ ...
Dying, according to me Sep 11, 2023

I think it is dying, at least in my field (medical/pharmaceutical). This year I am experiencing a real drop of translation projects and an increase in MTPE jobs... and the quality of the MTPE texts is "alarmingly" good.

Levan Namoradze
writeaway
Susanna Martoni
Christopher Schröder
Diana Obermeyer
SandraV
Yasutomo Kanazawa

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
Not the same Sep 11, 2023

alessandra bocco wrote:
This year I am experiencing a real drop of translation projects and an increase in MTPE jobs... and the quality of the MTPE texts is "alarmingly" good.

It's true what you say here, but it's not dying. It's a shift from conventional translaton to increasingly more machine translation post-editing. The challenge for translators will be to offer that service while maintaining quality standards and profitability. And before someones says the opposite: it's perfectly possible.

I even see opportunities : I sometimes edit MTPE work from colleagues and not seldomly the quality is bad. The reasons for that are obvious : a translator that offered a very low rate and then tries to compensate that low rate by 'translating' at the speed of light. That's not sustainable for those translators because quality for the end client will always be important to at least a certain extent. So the chaff will be separated from the wheat more quickly than ever, since agencies in the long run will put more effort into finding MTPE translators that might be a little more expensive but deliver the quality expected.

I'm convinced of the fact that translators offering a 50% reduction or more on their conventional translation rate for MTPE will either not make enough money to survive or will be forced to deliver total crap that will leave them without (enough) work in the long run.

expressisverbis
Diana Obermeyer
John Fossey

Levan Namoradze
Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
:-) Sep 11, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

alessandra bocco wrote:
This year I am experiencing a real drop of translation projects and an increase in MTPE jobs... and the quality of the MTPE texts is "alarmingly" good.

It's true what you say here, but it's not dying. It's a shift from conventional translaton to increasingly more machine translation post-editing. The challenge for translators will be to offer that service while maintaining quality standards and profitability. And before someones says the opposite: it's perfectly possible.

I even see opportunities : I sometimes edit MTPE work from colleagues and not seldomly the quality is bad. The reasons for that are obvious : a translator that offered a very low rate and then tries to compensate that low rate by 'translating' at the speed of light. That's not sustainable for those translators because quality for the end client will always be important to at least a certain extent. So the chaff will be separated from the wheat more quickly than ever, since agencies in the long run will put more effort into finding MTPE translators that might be a little more expensive but deliver the quality expected.

I'm convinced of the fact that translators offering a 50% reduction or more on their conventional translation rate for MTPE will either not make enough money to survive or will be forced to deliver total crap that will leave them without (enough) work in the long run.

On my mind, your big mistake is that you impose/assign too much decision-making power on/to translators. However, decisions are rather made by clients and agencies than by translators.

Jorge Payan

Lieven Malaise
Lieven Malaise
Belgium
Member (2020)
French to Dutch
+ ...
. Sep 11, 2023

Levan Namoradze wrote:
On my mind, your big mistake is that you impose/assign too much decision-making power on/to translators. However, decisions are rather made by clients and agencies than by translators.

Obviously. But agencies and end clients aren't 'tyrannical rulers' either. They depend on the market. And I believe that market still demands and will continue to demand quality communication in its various forms. So it will continue to need people that are able to deliver that quality, be it through conventional translation or machine translation post-editing.

Machine translation is surprisingly good these days, but if you deliver a machine-rendered translation without editing you still deliver a bad quality translation, let that be very clear.

Susan Madden
Philip Lees
expressisverbis
Becca Resnik
Diana Obermeyer
P.L.F. Persio

Levan Namoradze
Georgia
Member (2005)
English to Georgian
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Well Sep 11, 2023

Lieven Malaise wrote:

Levan Namoradze wrote:

Obviously. But agencies and end clients aren't 'tyrannical rulers' either. They depend on the market. And I believe that market still demands and will continue to demand quality communication in its various forms. So it will continue to need people that are able to deliver that quality, be it through conventional translation or machine translation post-editing.

Machine translation is surprisingly good these days, but if you deliver a machine-rendered translation without editing you still deliver a bad quality translation, let that be very clear.

Well, following to my appr. 20-year experience, the vast majority of both clients and agencies are focused only on profit and do not care about the quality. Let's hope that your opinion/position is justified and correct.

Lieven Malaise
Jorge Payan
Fabrice Ndie
Sophie Guével
Christen Sohnholz

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4 5] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Is our profession dead?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »