Thread poster: Patricia Parten
Patricia Parten
Patricia Parten
United States
Local time: 05:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
Feb 12, 2005

I am totally new to voice overs... (Spanish) any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't know much about what is involved, only that I will have an audition over the phone on Monday. I do read very well and have a good voice so I am hopeful it will go allright. But... I have been asked about my rates and so far I have been avoiding the issue!! Help me.

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:31
English to German
+ ...
Charging for a voice-over Feb 13, 2005

Hi Patricia,
Welcome to the wonderful job of voice-overs!
Here is how it works. You charge by the hour and set a minimum of hours (after all, you need time to get to the studio and back home); my minimum is 3 hours. Sometimes, a ‘checker’ is hired – that’s a native speaker who makes sure that you don’t leave out any words, that your pronunciation is clear, that you don’t slur your words, and that your ‘level of enthusiasm’ does not drop after 2 hours...
See more
Hi Patricia,
Welcome to the wonderful job of voice-overs!
Here is how it works. You charge by the hour and set a minimum of hours (after all, you need time to get to the studio and back home); my minimum is 3 hours. Sometimes, a ‘checker’ is hired – that’s a native speaker who makes sure that you don’t leave out any words, that your pronunciation is clear, that you don’t slur your words, and that your ‘level of enthusiasm’ does not drop after 2 hours . I’ve started out as a checker and then graduated to ‘speaking’ texts.
The hourly rate will depend on whether you work directly with a client or whether you got the job through an agency. Just to give you a rough idea: I charge CDN$ 80 per hour, 3 hrs. min. ( if I’m hired through an agency that is – my direct-rate is a bit higher) - but this may of course vary according to the general rates paid for such work in your region. Please remember you are not paid as a translator , but as an actor , and we all know they can demand -and get paid - good rates! So don’t be shy!!
If you like this type of work, you may want to invest in a professionally done voice demo that you can then send out when applying for jobs, or just leave a demo CD with your local sound studio.
I have done quite a few promotional videos where I had also supplied the translations. I really enjoy the studio work, - and I keep my fingers crossed that you get the job!
Cheers, johanna
Collapse

Patricia Parten
Patricia Parten
United States
Local time: 05:31
Spanish to English
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Regarding voice over info Feb 13, 2005

Thanks so much, Johanna!! Indeed, it sounds like very interesting work, and by the sounds of it, it pays well! I got contacted by an agency so I guess a rate of $90, with a 3 hour minimum would be a good starting point for me??? Does that sound reasonable? (I can't be too pushy since this would be my very first job - then again, I haven't been hired yet; Monday's audition is going to be my very first audition).

Also, one more question, if you don't mind me picking your brain: H
... See more
Thanks so much, Johanna!! Indeed, it sounds like very interesting work, and by the sounds of it, it pays well! I got contacted by an agency so I guess a rate of $90, with a 3 hour minimum would be a good starting point for me??? Does that sound reasonable? (I can't be too pushy since this would be my very first job - then again, I haven't been hired yet; Monday's audition is going to be my very first audition).

Also, one more question, if you don't mind me picking your brain: How do I get a CD demo to use to apply for jobs?? That sounds like a very good idea... specially since I would be doing these in Spanish....

Again, thank you very much for your kind response!

Patricia***
Collapse

Johanna Timm, PhD
Johanna Timm, PhD  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 03:31
English to German
+ ...
demo CD Feb 13, 2005

Hi again,
you can record a demo CD in any sound studio(maybe you know someone who knows someone who has a home recording studio?). Ideally, the studio would provide you with different background sound options to make the recording professional; then you read different materials (marketing, promotional, children's lit, science- whatever you think would be helpful to attract work from for future clients), burn a CD and you're all set. You can then even apply for jobs offered here on Proz by
... See more
Hi again,
you can record a demo CD in any sound studio(maybe you know someone who knows someone who has a home recording studio?). Ideally, the studio would provide you with different background sound options to make the recording professional; then you read different materials (marketing, promotional, children's lit, science- whatever you think would be helpful to attract work from for future clients), burn a CD and you're all set. You can then even apply for jobs offered here on Proz by sending potential clients a sound file with a sample of your voice.
Good luck,
johanna
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Voice Over Project: what do I charge?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »