Thread poster: Alda Arias
Alda Arias
Alda Arias  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Feb 7, 2005

I am about to take on a job travelling as an interpreter/companion with a client. I am going to charge for my work on an hourly basis counting on a 12 hour work day. My question is whether or not to include or ask the client to directly cover my airfare, hotel and meals. Any thoughts?

[Edited at 2005-02-07 23:01]

[Edited at 2005-02-07 23:02]

Jesús Marín Mateos
Jesús Marín Mateos  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
Of course..... Feb 7, 2005

No doubt you should.
I sometimes do interpreting out of where I live, London, and the client or agency always covers airfare etc so why shouldn't you ask for it?
To be honest I think the client should have offered to cover those by now.
Good luck.

sarahl (X)
sarahl (X)
Local time: 04:36
English to French
+ ...
US usage Feb 8, 2005

Hi Gazanchipa

The way it works in the US, the client takes care of your plane ticket and your hotel stay, and gives you a lump sum known as per diem to cover your meals and other incidentals.
We usually negociate the per diem at the time we negociate our daily fee.

HTH

Sarah

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:36
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
All on the Client Feb 8, 2005

It would be preferable to have the client cover all your expenses including travel, accomodations and meals. It would be best that way rather than per diem or reimbursement for certain expenses because it is less complicated. I would assume you would be taking all your meals with the client as well, as the client's inseparable companion.

Otherwise you would then have to account for expenses yourself and then deduct them from per diem and other payments received from the client, whic
... See more
It would be preferable to have the client cover all your expenses including travel, accomodations and meals. It would be best that way rather than per diem or reimbursement for certain expenses because it is less complicated. I would assume you would be taking all your meals with the client as well, as the client's inseparable companion.

Otherwise you would then have to account for expenses yourself and then deduct them from per diem and other payments received from the client, which is more complicated for you. If the client covers it all directly, then you do not have to account for that money to the tax boys.
Collapse

Alda Arias
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
I'm still a bit confused Feb 8, 2005

Henry I'm still a bit confused. I should come up with a daily rate and also have the client pay for all the airfare, hotel and meals or ?? Sorry but this is the first time I'm doing this and I want to make sure I understand fully.

Thanks for your time.

Alda Arias
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your assistance Feb 8, 2005

Jesus I thought this was the best way to do it too but I just wanted to make sure it was the standard used. To be fair I believe this is the first time the person I will be working for is doing this as well. Thanks again for your time.

Alda Arias
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your assistance Feb 8, 2005

Sarah I must admit I didn't know what a per diem was so thank you for your definition. I now understand I have to negotiate a daily fee for the actual work performed AND a per diem fee or have the client pay for everything throught the trip.

Alda Arias
United States
English to Spanish
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Thank you for your help Feb 8, 2005

Henry I understand now (please ignore my prior comment), the problem was I did not know what a per diem was. Now I see why your suggestion to have the client pay for everything from the throughout makes the most sense, it means no worry about the accounting. Thanks for again for your assistance.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Charging for expenses

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »