Trados matches, spaces and invoicing
Thread poster: Anmol
Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 11:14
Dec 20, 2004

Recently, I did a small job of about 3470 characters (with spaces). When I analyzed using the Trados->Analyze tool, the resultant log file showed a total of 3061 characters only. The number of chars/word for this file worked out to 6.77.

If an invoice were to be generated on the basis of this log file, 409 characters would be left uncounted. At 55 characters/line and assuming a rate of EUR 1/line, that shaves off EUR 7.44 off the invoiced amount due to missing spaces! That's 11
... See more
Recently, I did a small job of about 3470 characters (with spaces). When I analyzed using the Trados->Analyze tool, the resultant log file showed a total of 3061 characters only. The number of chars/word for this file worked out to 6.77.

If an invoice were to be generated on the basis of this log file, 409 characters would be left uncounted. At 55 characters/line and assuming a rate of EUR 1/line, that shaves off EUR 7.44 off the invoiced amount due to missing spaces! That's 11% of the total invoicable amount of EUR 63 for the full 3470 characters.

Could someone tell me what I am doing wrong here? Does the Trados analyze tool really ignore spaces, or is there a way to toggle this behaviour? Are spaces handled differently when invoicing on the basis of a Trados match matrix?

I apologize if this topic has been discussed before, although I could not find a reference to it.

Anil Gidwani
Collapse

RWSTranslation
RWSTranslation
Germany
Local time: 07:44
German to English
+ ...
Word Count Dec 20, 2004

Hello,
Trados doesn't count the number of chars in a text. It counts the number of translatable chars.

P.ex. double spaces and numbers which are not to translate are not counted.

I believe that there is some more information on the Trados Knowledge base.

With kind regards

Hans

Anmol
Anmol
Local time: 11:14
TOPIC STARTER
Trados word count Dec 22, 2004

That is indeed fine if one bills by word. But what if one bills by source line of 55 characters including spaces? Since the Trados analyze log ignores spaces, it may mean that invoices are about 10% lower than they should be, merely (and especially)because the translator is giving a discount for repetitions and matches.

So, to rephrase my original question, how relevant is the Trados analyze tool when one bills by line and not by word, since it seems to undercount the number of li
... See more
That is indeed fine if one bills by word. But what if one bills by source line of 55 characters including spaces? Since the Trados analyze log ignores spaces, it may mean that invoices are about 10% lower than they should be, merely (and especially)because the translator is giving a discount for repetitions and matches.

So, to rephrase my original question, how relevant is the Trados analyze tool when one bills by line and not by word, since it seems to undercount the number of lines? Or should one in some manner add the amount for the lines not counted to the final invoice, round-about though that may seem?

Anil.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados matches, spaces and invoicing

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »