Kurdish typing software required
Thread poster: Reza Delavari
Reza Delavari
Reza Delavari
Local time: 10:57
English to Persian (Farsi)
+ ...
Apr 13, 2004

I need a Kurdish ( Sorani ) typing software .
I would appreciate anyone to help me in this .

Regards

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 16:57
English to Turkish
+ ...
Hi delavary, Apr 14, 2004

You can give a try to the sites below, but please be patient, there are many dead links:

http://www.ekurd.net/download/download.htm... See more
You can give a try to the sites below, but please be patient, there are many dead links:

http://www.ekurd.net/download/download.htm

http://www.gy.com/www/ku.htm

http://www.cogsci.ed.ac.uk/~siamakr/kurdlan.html

Good luck!
Collapse

Stephen Franke
Stephen Franke
United States
Local time: 07:57
English to Arabic
+ ...
MS Windows XP with Farsi Support = Kurdish Apr 14, 2004

Greetings... zur ruzh bashe...

The following suggestions apply if you wish to use the right-to-left (RTL) "Arabized" Kurdish alphabet (more accurately, "Farsi-ized" since Kurdish and Farsi are related Indo-European languages). (Word-processing in Kurdish with the "Latinized" left-to-right alphabet is a different matter and involves use of some Kurdish orthographic characters similar to those in the Turkish alphabet.)

1. Adding Kurdish / Farsi language support
... See more

The following suggestions apply if you wish to use the right-to-left (RTL) "Arabized" Kurdish alphabet (more accurately, "Farsi-ized" since Kurdish and Farsi are related Indo-European languages). (Word-processing in Kurdish with the "Latinized" left-to-right alphabet is a different matter and involves use of some Kurdish orthographic characters similar to those in the Turkish alphabet.)

If your POC has an operating system of either MS Windows 2000 or XP (XP is the better and more stable OS), select and install the Farsi language support that is included in the basic CD for the OS.

Do **not** install Arabic support also inside Windows 2K / XP and use that for Kurdish production, as some of the internal settings in the Arabic support will yield incorrect letters after you've typed an entry or they will not support some Kurdish letters at all (I discovered that as a beta tester for Microsoft multilingual products which included Arabic and Farsi support).

You don't need to buy additional software.

Installation procedure (simplified) is as follows for Windows 2K / XP:

Start => control panel => add / change regional and language settings => languages => enter Farsi => proceed and complete the installation => reboot your POC.

The desktop of your rebooted PC should display a small language option box on the lower edge. EN = English; FA = Farsi.

2. Farsi / Kurdish keyboard diagram

The next step is to go to the Microsoft website and enter [ Farsi keyboard ] inside the search box.

o Navigate to the page which shows the keyboard layout diagram (101- or 104-keys) with the Farsi characters.

o Print that diagram, and it helps if you then copy that to a larger size by 125% - 150% (makes for easier reading).

3. Additional TTF fonts

The Farsi TTF fonts included in the CD for Windows 2K / XP should suffice for most production into the Kurdish. If not, let me know, and I can e-mail some TTF fonts that I use, or send URLs so you can download some additional fonts.

4. Install MS Office 2K or XP. Either version should suffice, although XP Professional is better.

5. There has been a Kurdish-customized version of MS Office 2000 (maybe also XP) advertised for sale on some Kurdish websites.

However, that version raises some likely technical considerations of compatibility and support of the PC of your recipient / customer. Result of those encoding conflicts is that although you can open and see the Kurdish file, the end receiver / end reader cannot on his / her PC.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

e-mail: < [email protected] >
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 16:57
English to Dutch
+ ...
Excellent, Stephen! Apr 14, 2004

Stephen Franke wrote:

If your POC has an operating system of either MS Windows 2000 or XP (XP is the better and more stable OS), select and install the Farsi language support that is included in the basic CD for the OS.

Do **not** install Arabic support also inside Windows 2K / XP and use that for Kurdish production, as some of the internal settings in the Arabic support will yield incorrect letters after you've typed an entry or they will not support some Kurdish letters at all (I discovered that as a beta tester for Microsoft multilingual products which included Arabic and Farsi support).

You don't need to buy additional software.

Installation procedure (simplified) is as follows for Windows 2K / XP:

Start => control panel => add / change regional and language settings => languages => enter Farsi => proceed and complete the installation => reboot your POC.

The desktop of your rebooted PC should display a small language option box on the lower edge. EN = English; FA = Farsi.

2. Farsi / Kurdish keyboard diagram

The next step is to go to the Microsoft website and enter [ Farsi keyboard ] inside the search box.

o Navigate to the page which shows the keyboard layout diagram (101- or 104-keys) with the Farsi characters.

o Print that diagram, and it helps if you then copy that to a larger size by 125% - 150% (makes for easier reading).

3. Additional TTF fonts

The Farsi TTF fonts included in the CD for Windows 2K / XP should suffice for most production into the Kurdish. If not, let me know, and I can e-mail some TTF fonts that I use, or send URLs so you can download some additional fonts.

4. Install MS Office 2K or XP. Either version should suffice, although XP Professional is better.

5. There has been a Kurdish-customized version of MS Office 2000 (maybe also XP) advertised for sale on some Kurdish websites.

However, that version raises some likely technical considerations of compatibility and support of the PC of your recipient / customer. Result of those encoding conflicts is that although you can open and see the Kurdish file, the end receiver / end reader cannot on his / her PC.

Hope this helps.

Regards,

Stephen H. Franke
San Pedro, California

e-mail: < [email protected] >

I can't be of any help here, but I wanted to let you know that I appreciate your fine efforts trying to help someone else, Stephen.

Best, Evert

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Kurdish typing software required

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »