Patricia Fierro, M. Sc.  Identity Verified
Ecuador
Local time: 22:54
English to Spanish
+ ...
Aug 27, 2003

Hi fellow members,

http://www.proz.com/job/41964

Have you seen this job? I think it is some kind of hoax. I am sure there is nobody out there willing to pay over 300 thousand dollars for a translation project. It says that the rate is US$ 8 per word. Can you believe that?

I don't know if it's against Proz policies to comment on these issues. If it is, I apologize.
... See more
Hi fellow members,

Have you seen this job? I think it is some kind of hoax. I am sure there is nobody out there willing to pay over 300 thousand dollars for a translation project. It says that the rate is US$ 8 per word. Can you believe that?

I don't know if it's against Proz policies to comment on these issues. If it is, I apologize.

Thanks.

110 pages document

Spanish>English

Requerimientos del Postulante:

Job type: Potencial

Job description:

MS Word
Textos muestra (deberán ser traducidos por el traductor):

Formulario de Calificación No.3: Necesidades Básicas In-satisfechas

Necesidades Básicas ¿Se estaban satisfaciendo las necesidades básicas antes del desastre? Calificación desde 1 (no estba siendo satisfecha) a 10 (satisfecha) ¿Están siendo satisfechas las necesidades en el presente? Calificar desde 1 (no está siendo satisfecha) a 10 (satisfecha) Indicadores(Basados en aquellos de ‘Esfera’.
Volume and Pricing:

Volume: 44000 words

Price per unit: 8.00 USD per word

TOTAL: 352000.00 USD

Note added later: I contacted the person who posted the job and he/she said that the rate was US$ 0.08 per word, so the total is $ 3 thousand only.

Sorry

[Edited at 2003-08-27 21:11]

[Edited at 2003-08-27 21:13]
Collapse

Evert DELOOF-SYS
Evert DELOOF-SYS  Identity Verified
Belgium
Local time: 05:54
English to Dutch
+ ...
Must be a typo. Aug 27, 2003

Patricia Fierro, M. Sc. wrote:

Hi fellow members,

Thanks.

110 pages document

Spanish>English

Requerimientos del Postulante:

Job type: Potencial

Job description:

MS Word
Textos muestra (deberán ser traducidos por el traductor):

Formulario de Calificación No.3: Necesidades Básicas In-satisfechas

Necesidades Básicas ¿Se estaban satisfaciendo las necesidades básicas antes del desastre? Calificación desde 1 (no estba siendo satisfecha) a 10 (satisfecha) ¿Están siendo satisfechas las necesidades en el presente? Calificar desde 1 (no está siendo satisfecha) a 10 (satisfecha) Indicadores(Basados en aquellos de ‘Esfera’.
Volume and Pricing:

Volume: 44000 words

Price per unit: 8.00 USD per word

TOTAL: 352000.00 USD

If not, count me in

Outsourcer will be contacted, for sure.

[Edited at 2003-08-27 21:27]

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Obvious error Aug 27, 2003

Hi Patricia,
I think it is some kind of hoax.

I don't think so - quite obviously it's an erroneous entry.

I am sure there is nobody out there willing to pay over 300 thousand dollars for a translation project.

Of course these amounts are paid - but not for 44k words...

Nothing against the rules - next time you notice something like this, I suggest you contact the Jobs Area coordinators directly - thanks in advance.

Best regards, Ralf

PS I contacted the outsourcer.

[Edited at 2003-08-27 21:19]

Egmont
Egmont
Spain
Afrikaans to Spanish
+ ...
two much... Aug 27, 2003

Ralf Lemster wrote:

Hi Patricia,
I think it is some kind of hoax.

I don't think so - quite obviously it's an erroneous entry.

I am sure there is nobody out there willing to pay over 300 thousand dollars for a translation project.

Of course these amounts are paid - but not for 44k words...

Nothing against the rules - next time you notice something like this, I suggest you contact the Jobs Area coordinators directly - thanks in advance.

Best regards, Ralf

PS I contacted the outsourcer.

[Edited at 2003-08-27 21:19]
as someone said...!!

Paul Roige (X)
Paul Roige (X)
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
'magine that!!!! Aug 27, 2003

Typo or no typo, reading that beauty meant fresh air to my eyes, lately quite tired of seeing "zeropointzeroone/two" offers...
Let's keep dreamin' !
P

PAS
PAS  Identity Verified
Polish to English
+ ...
That's nothin' Aug 28, 2003

There was a job once in the PL-EN pair with 2.4 million (that's: million) words at 300 PLN (ca. 75 USD) per character (that's: character).

Do the math and see where that would get you.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Job 41964 pays over 300 thousand dollars

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »