"Are you available?" - A ProZ pop-up window can mean Business...
Thread poster: CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
Aug 11, 2003

Two weeks ago, I got a pop-up message asking me :
Are you available?
. Although I was about to log out from the site, I answered:
Yes, I have a few minutes.
. I thought it was going to be a short 'chat' session with a fellow translator.

I waited 3 to 5 minutes, and I received no reply. I made no assumption, except thinking that perhaps the Instant Message system was playing tricks on us.

The long-awaited reply would come on just a few minutes later, in the form of an email from someone identifying himself as the president of a company and inviting me to go and visit his website. After doing so, -- and being pleased with the company's presentation and goals -- I responded that yes, I was interested in offering my services to him.

What follows next was a formal contract, and my first assignment.

So, next time a window pops up on your screen, be prepared to spare a few minutes to answer back. The IM might not be coming from a presumed "Featured Pro", but from a "Business Pro" prowling around...

[Edited at 2003-08-13 08:08]

Helen Johnson
Helen Johnson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 06:29
Member (2003)
Swedish to English
+ ...
pop-up window can mean business Aug 11, 2003

CHENOUMI wrote:

Two weeks ago, I got a pop-up message asking me :
Are you available?
. Although I was about to log out from the site, I answered:
Yes, I have a few minutes.
. I thought it was going to be a short 'chat' session with a fellow translator.

I waited 3 to 5 minutes, and I received no reply. I made no assumption, except thinking that perhaps the Instant Message system was playing tricks on us.

Later on, upon checking my mailbox, I got an email from someone identifying himself as the president of a company and inviting me to go and visit his website. After doing so, -- and being pleased with the company's presentation and goals -- I responded that yes, I was interested in offering my services to him.

What follows next was a formal contract, and my first assignment.

So, next time a window pops up on your screen, be prepared to spare a few minutes to answer back. It might not be from a presumed "Featured Pro", but from a "Business Pro" prowling around...

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 00:29
Member (2002)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Congrats! Aug 11, 2003

Great, Sandra!
I hope this is the beginning of a new and fruitful business relationship!

Regards,
Clarisa Moraña

CHENOUMI (X)
CHENOUMI (X)  Identity Verified
English to French
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Hope so too. Aug 12, 2003

Clarisa Moraña wrote:

Great, Sandra!
I hope this is the beginning of a new and fruitful business relationship!

So, do I, Clarisa.
After all, business relationships need to be taken care of properly, nurtured and validated on both parts. As far as I am concerned, I will endeavour to provide them with superior service, and do my work to the best of my abilities.

Thanks for your words.

Regards,
S.

medical (X)
medical (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
the other day Aug 16, 2003

I was visiting Bratt Pitt web site and then I receve a pop up invited me to have dinner with him but I was not available I have a Lunch with George Clooney, that is incredible chenoumi you are the only translator I know that receve so many works without doing nothing, like the other one you have receved after a topic in the french forum, as we say in Spanish, " puede ser verdad, pero yo no melo creo,demasiado facil.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

"Are you available?" - A ProZ pop-up window can mean Business...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »