average time to be paid by a company
Thread poster: cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
cendrine marrouat (X)
English to French
+ ...
Jul 28, 2003

Dear all,
I have a question. How long does it take a company to pay its translators once the job is done and corrected? Thank you very much for helping me.

RWSTranslati (X)
RWSTranslati (X)
Germany
Local time: 01:47
German to English
+ ...
30 day after Jul 29, 2003

Hello

we pay our bills 30 days after bill has reached us.

Hans

Alison Schwitzgebel
Alison Schwitzgebel
France
German to English
+ ...
How long is a piece of string? Jul 29, 2003

This probably won't help you much, but it does very much depend on the company and the country it's based in.

Most of my customers are based in Germany. I have one very good customer who regularly pays me within 7 days of receiving my invoice, many others who pay within 14 days, a few who pay within around 30 days, and my "blacklist" customers (who I only work for if I can't get work from anywhere else) who pay within anything up to 90!!!!! days.

Agencies tend to take t
... See more
This probably won't help you much, but it does very much depend on the company and the country it's based in.

Most of my customers are based in Germany. I have one very good customer who regularly pays me within 7 days of receiving my invoice, many others who pay within 14 days, a few who pay within around 30 days, and my "blacklist" customers (who I only work for if I can't get work from anywhere else) who pay within anything up to 90!!!!! days.

Agencies tend to take their time about paying, direct customers are a bit better.

I have heard reports that agencies in Germany generally pay within around 30-60 days, and that agencies in the likes of Belgium and Italy have standard payment terms of 90!!!!! days.

Hope that helps you some!

Alison
Collapse

Renassans LS
Renassans LS
German to Swedish
+ ...
Here's a link for you. Jul 29, 2003

I agree - it varies greatly from country to country, and from agency to agency.

For some general numbers you can have a look at this link:
http://www.intrum.com/page.cfm?ID=842D7410-05A2-4F23-B89E47255ECA8674

However, the numbers presented there are not only covering translation agencies, but companies in general. I hope you find the li
... See more
I agree - it varies greatly from country to country, and from agency to agency.

For some general numbers you can have a look at this link:
http://www.intrum.com/page.cfm?ID=842D7410-05A2-4F23-B89E47255ECA8674

However, the numbers presented there are not only covering translation agencies, but companies in general. I hope you find the link interesting nonetheless.

Best regards,
Jonas
Collapse

Claudia Iglesias
Claudia Iglesias  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 19:47
Member (2002)
Spanish to French
+ ...
Usually... Jul 29, 2003

You have to reach an agreement first, and in your invoice it should be written.

If not...how could you say that they're late?

achisholm
achisholm
United Kingdom
Local time: 00:47
Italian to English
+ ...
Set the terms before you start Jul 29, 2003

All the contributors above are right, it varies a lot depending on countries etc.
I think as far as agencies are concerned, a lot of the delay is due to the fact that they have trouble getting money out of the end client - at least that's the case with the agencies I work with in Italy.
Caludia made a very good point though. It's something that can be sorted out when the job is being agreed and then the payment terms written into the invoice you send the client. Just as often, client
... See more
All the contributors above are right, it varies a lot depending on countries etc.
I think as far as agencies are concerned, a lot of the delay is due to the fact that they have trouble getting money out of the end client - at least that's the case with the agencies I work with in Italy.
Caludia made a very good point though. It's something that can be sorted out when the job is being agreed and then the payment terms written into the invoice you send the client. Just as often, clients put the payment terms into their purchase orders.

Hope this helps.

Sandy
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

average time to be paid by a company

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »