Thread poster: Arabic & More
Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Feb 17, 2013

As-salamu Alaykum,

The issue of rates is one that is frequently discussed on Proz.com. Depending on the language pair, it is sometimes difficult to command good rates due to the market being saturated with qualified translators. While this may apply to combinations like Spanish/English, it should not apply to rare languages like Arabic that few people are able to translate well.

I am writing here today because I feel that many Arabic translators do not understand the va
... See more
As-salamu Alaykum,

The issue of rates is one that is frequently discussed on Proz.com. Depending on the language pair, it is sometimes difficult to command good rates due to the market being saturated with qualified translators. While this may apply to combinations like Spanish/English, it should not apply to rare languages like Arabic that few people are able to translate well.

I am writing here today because I feel that many Arabic translators do not understand the value they are providing to their international clients. Our services are rare and very much needed in today's world, and we should not underestimate our worth as translators. Clients are often willing (and able) to pay more, but we need to be willing to ask.

When the market is saturated with translators giving their services away for pennies per word, this gives clients the impression that Arabic translation services are cheap even though they should come at a premium.

I understand that the economic climate makes some translators choose to work for low rates, and that 5 or 6 cents per word may provide a decent living in some countries. You may consider it risky to charge more because you do not want to lose the clients you currently have.

Here is what I would suggest for translators in this position. Keep the clients you currently have, but start marketing yourself to other clients with higher rates, just as an experiment. If you currently charge 5 cents per word, start asking for 10. If you currently charge 10, start asking for 15. Just see what happens. If the clients say no, then you have not lost anything. If they say yes, or offer a counter-rate that you find reasonable, then you will have gained a new client that will allow you to drop one of the lower paying ones.

Maybe you hesitate to do this because you feel (or know), for example, that you do not provide top-quality work. If this is the case, then use some of the extra money you make to hire an editor who can help you out. You will still come out ahead. The best translators command the best rates, so invest in yourself, and show that you are the best.

Personally, I have turned down projects that I was extremely interested in because of the rate being offered. This is not always easy. Sometimes you really need the work and feel tempted to accept a low rate. In the long-run, though, this does not benefit you or the industry as a whole.

As translators who provide services in a rare language combination, I would like to see us more unified when it comes to rates.

Please share your thoughts on how Arabic translators can improve the current state of affairs.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Let's Discuss Rates

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »