This site uses cookies.
Some of these cookies are essential to the operation of the site,
while others help to improve your experience by providing insights into how the site is being used.
For more information, please see the ProZ.com privacy policy.
VIA AILooking for an interpreter?
Remoto by ProZ.com connects you with an identity-verified interpreter by video or phone in about 60 seconds — 300+ languages, on demand or booked ahead.
Try Remoto »
I was rather keen on them and took part in several between 2008 and 2014 (won some). By then, I considered these contests both entertaining and challenging but, after a while, I felt that they were very poorly designed. One of the flaws is that each competitor is allowed to judge the other competitors. Are we really so impartial to be fair to other people’s entries? Then, to top it up, there was... See more
I was rather keen on them and took part in several between 2008 and 2014 (won some). By then, I considered these contests both entertaining and challenging but, after a while, I felt that they were very poorly designed. One of the flaws is that each competitor is allowed to judge the other competitors. Are we really so impartial to be fair to other people’s entries? Then, to top it up, there was an infamous one (http://www.proz.com/forum/prozcom_translation_contests/277633-translation_contest_celebrations_congratulations_to_the_first_round_of_winners.html) where it took several years to announce the winners. So, I stopped participating... ▲ Collapse
Subject:
Comment:
The contents of this post will automatically be included in the ticket generated. Please add any additional comments or explanation (optional)
But the last one I took a close look at put me off for good.
It's all here:
Daryo wrote:
Lingua 5B wrote:
I assume it’ll turn into a post-editing or GPT clean-up contest.
Nothing new there ... already happened, years ago.
see
I lost all interest in translation contests few years ago, when I spotted an entry - a "translation into Serbian" - that was blatantly done by someone who doesn't know the first thing about the Serbian language but used some MT instead, and nothing was done to remove it.
I STILL can't see anything in the rules that would prohibit a bot from 'contributing' with some raw AI output, nor humans from submitting barely corrected or raw AI output as 'their work' (even from or into languages they know nothing about!)
I guess it all depends on how you define 'original work' ...
1. Entries must be original works. Reuse or referencing of existing (ex. published) translations, in whole or in part, is prohibited and leads to disqualification. It is possible to work with one other person, but that person must be included as a partner when the entry is submitted.
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio
Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.
Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer.
Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools.
Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free